[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thought on the epic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: 5054429000207.jpg (882 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
5054429000207.jpg
882 KB, 1400x1400
thought on the epic?
>>
quite epic :)
>>
If it's not on your jazz list, you don't have a jazz list
>>
Literally "I Never Listen To jazz The Album"
>>
was unsure on it but after watching the fantano review, i can say i love it and it's on my jazz list
>>
it's on my jazz list.
>>
HELLA FR*CKING EPIC
>>
>>61319273
I LOVE THIS ALBUM
i will say it
i think it's the next Kind of Blue
Love Supreme
even The Shape of Jazz to Come
this album is pure jazz
2 hours and 50 minutes never wasted on this album
and i think this will help jazz out.
>>
>>61319273
epic, simply epic!
>>
>>61319273
>fat black dude with a weird trumpet
nice, trying to make an album of a dead genre
lets see how this will fail
>>
>>61319273
pretty boring album. probably would like it more if it wasn't so long. I was prepared for something really mind blowing. I didn't care for the negative opinions of some people on here. not only was I disappointed, but I also was kinda confused why did it get so much praise. probably being a guest on TPAB.

I mean, it's good technically but there's so much wankery going on without substance. it gets really samey quickly and it feels like a chore to listen to this album. the only thing I like about this album is the cover art and that's it. there were plenty of amazing jazz records released this year (Aerophonic Records is GOAT) and you should search for something that isn't a boring rehash of something that was great for another reasons (yeah, John Coltrane's most popular albums)
>>
>>61319687
>fat black dude with a weird trumpet
Holy kek
>>
>>61319714
Felt opposite, but i will agree that it's too long.
>>
>>61319358
just came to this thread to make sure someone said this
good job
>>
File: better be death grips.....png (339 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
better be death grips.....png
339 KB, 500x333
>>61319800
But is it on your jazz list?!?!
>>
>>61319843
of course its on my jazz list!
>>
/r/ing the ebin
>>
People hate it because it's accessible as shit, there's mad hype around it, and the people claiming how great it is don't know a thing about jazz, but I enjoyed it to an extent. 7/10
>>
>>61319953
>and the people claiming how great it is don't know a thing about jazz
it's better than any jazz you like
faggot
>>
Most people:
I thought it was very good

Some people:
I don't really like it

4 people on /mu/:
hella fukkin EPIC 4 tha win xDDDDD i know so much about jazz xDDDDDD *ironic shitposting (which is just shitposting)*

>>61319953
>>61319273
Why do I need to know a lot about a genre to enjoy an album? I've probably only listened to like 30 jazz albums. Does this mean I can't enjoy The Epic?
>>
>>61319324
on the contrary it's jazz for people who actually like jazz, because plebs looking for token jazz albums for their charts cannot sit through 3 hours of jazz no matter how good it is.
>>
>>61319273
It's a Kamasi Washington album.
>>
>>61319323
kek
>>
>>61320000
>>
File: 1447306448261.jpg (47 KB, 793x964) Image search: [Google]
1447306448261.jpg
47 KB, 793x964
>>61320005
>I've probably only listened to like 30 jazz albums. Does this mean I can't enjoy The Epic?
i have listen to up to 900 jazz album
fucking pleb
>>
It's fucking fantastic and the only album I was really in to all year
>>
>>61320070
That's what I'm saying though. 30 is nothing. Can you decide if The Epic was enjoyable since you've listened to so much jazz? How many albums from a genre do I need to listen to in order to be able to decide if I've enjoyed an album or not?
>>
>>61320110
>w many albums from a genre do I need to listen to in order to be able to decide if I've enjoyed an album or not?
up to 200
now leave you fucking simpletin
>>
>>61320174
Strange how you managed to listen to 200 albums at first, without being allowed to enjoy not even one of them. Explain the process, enlighten me kind anon.
>>
>>61320396
Shut up
>>
>>61319953
>It's accessible as shit
No, people hate it because it's popular. You can't honestly come and tell me that any album that is 3 hours long is accessible.
>>
>I'm gonna shitpost to no end about this album, but damn me if I ever take the time to participate in the blindfold tests happening every week to broaden my jazz taste and talk about music!
>>
>>61320606
Some people don't want to play shitty games, I know I'd participate in a /jazz/ general but seeing a jazz thread labeled as some game is off-putting. You think you'd grasp this since most of /mu/ isn't too big on jazz.
>>
>>61320606
the blindfold game is intimidating, the skill floor is tremendously high
>>
>>61320696
It's not really a game... In fact I'd say the constant shitposting and trolling about The Epin is more of a game than the blindfold threads
>>
way too fucking long in my opinion
>>
>>61320908
way too fucking long in my opinion
- your mom
>>
>>61320870
Whatever you call it you know exactly what I mean, the impression people get when they look at a thread.
>>
>>61320606
blindfold tests are exclusively about elitism and your post (and every post that whines that people don't participate in them) really just proves the point. they are never about discussion, they are only about being smug about your knowledge, which is what /mu/ is in general, but at least the rest of /mu/ doesn't have the pretension that it's actually informative and useful.
>>
>>61319982
>implying this thing is even better than A Kind of Blue
Miles David, John Coltrane & Duke Ellington are considered entry level jazz on this board, yet this thing doesn't come close to any of their pieces of work.

My point wasn't that I had such "pish posh patrician" taste in jazz, it's just that most people don't know a damn thing about jazz's history or discography to judge it the way most are.
>>61320005
Of course you can enjoy it, it's just when people (like Fantano) say it HAS to be on your jazz list like its the only thing that came out this year. Or when it's getting critical acclaim just because Kamasi worked with Kendrick and is signed to Braindfeeder, claiming it's one of the best jazz albums in years without knowledge of what has come out within the past half decade. It's just ignorant
>>61320530
>People hate it because it's popular
True.
>Long=inaccessible
>Pleb=short attention-span
Really? If Justin Bieber released a 10 hour album of his usual music, how would that be innaccessible? Length is irrelevant, content is the only thing relevant to accessibility. The average normie doesn't even listen to full projects anyways.
>>
>>61321013
>>implying this thing is even better than A Kind of Blue
see>>61319390
>>
>>61321000
Now that's just silly. There are people who post every week who don't guess a single artist or track right. Discussion is one of the main goals but I would say the overall goal is just to have fun listening to the same music as other anons and comparing your thoughts about the tracks. I really have no idea where you get the idea that it's pretentious or about being smug.
>>
>>61321013
>A Kind of Blue
>the album where miles davis pours his soul out through trumpet ballads about his favorite shade of periwinkle
i'd buy it
>>
>IT SUCKS!!!!

>Why?

>Uh..well...um...because...uhhh...Fantano likes it?
>>
The Epic, simply The Epic
>>
File: 1448671813311s.jpg (4 KB, 250x236) Image search: [Google]
1448671813311s.jpg
4 KB, 250x236
>>
Reminds me of Pharoah Sanders' Rejoice.
>>
>>61321390
The Epic doesn't suck because Fantano likes it. Fantano likes The Epic because it sucks.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.