[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
early modest mouse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: cover828_grande.jpg (92 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover828_grande.jpg
92 KB, 600x600
ITT: we discuss early modest mouse (pre moon & antarctica) and bands with similar sounds (pixies, archers of loaf, pavement, etc)

personally, lonesome crowded west is pretty much perfect for me, despite a couple of weak tracks and inconsistencies. pretty much unbeatable in terms of guitar and bizarre song structure. building nothing out of something is a close second, followed by interstate 8 ep, and so on.
>>
>>61316559
they were the best emo band
>>
https://youtu.be/2pi1SXCLqys
>>
>>61316559
Lync were better
>>
>>61316611

ill check them out
>>
>>61316559

What tracks do you consider weak specifically? I was always amazed by how unorthodox the track order was on LCW, and I think it's the main reason why I didn't warm up to certain songs.

>album takes a while to get momentum back after the opener
>tracks 6 through 8 are really strong
>out of gas and long distance drunk follow, and feel really similar in that they're down tempo without a lot going on
>this is followed by an extremely violent song
>this is followed by an extremely jammy song
>last two songs have sparse instrumentation and are really slow, then suddenly the last half of the last song gets really fast, then abruptly stops

Anyone else feel like the pacing was the most engaging aspect of the album?

Also, >tfw there will never be a release of To Roads To Go in decent quality. Could've worked after track thirteen.
>>
>>61316682

"shit luck" is the weakest on the album (thats almost obvious),"long distance drunk" is ok," jesus christ is an only child" is cool for novelty but its really weird between "lounge" and "cockroach" and imo should have been either put nearer the other acoustic songs at the end or cut out entirely. "styrofoam boots" im not crazy on but i would keep it just because it works as a closer.

to me the strength of their early albums was in the off-kilter, squawking guitar jams and i would have been really happy with an album that leaned heavier on that angle
>>
>>61316764

I can agree that all of those are weak songs individually (except Styrofoam Boots), and that's basically a song-for-song list of tracks that I feel (or felt) the same way about. The good news is they're fairly short songs.
>>
>>61316682
I always thought Styrofoam Boots and Teeth Like God's Shoeshine should be interchanged
>>
>>61316682
Shit luck is repetitive garbage
and truckers atlas drags on way to long.
>>
>>61317280
You're out of your damn mind.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.