[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please tell me that this whole thing about TMR being the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image:17406.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image:17406.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
Please tell me that this whole thing about TMR being the best album of all time is nothing but a big fat joke
>>
>>61313146
It's genius.
>>
>>61313185
HOW?
>>
>2016
>still being a rock novice
>>
>le TMR is hard to get meme
>>
>>61313220
Listen to it again.
>>
>>61313262
What a meme, been listening to it like seven times
>>
>>61313279
Personally I like because of the dissonance in rhythm and harmonic structure. I know he technically had no idea what he was doing, but what cane out was some pretty complex shit.
>>
>>61313321
I thought the beefheart guy knew theory
>>
>>61313394
>Van Vliet used a piano—an instrument he had never played before—as his main compositional tool. Since he had no experience with the piano and no conventional musical knowledge at all, he was able to experiment with few preconceived ideas of musical form or structure.

Nevermind !!
>>
>>61313446
>no conventional musical knowledge at all
I thought he knew blues
>>
>>61313455
Yeah. Thats the same thing!!!!
>>
I think it sounds good.
>>
>>61313146
This album is god tier. If you honestly think this is just a meme you need to listen to it more.
>>
>>61313146
You're noting but a big fat joke.
>>
As far as I know, the only people outside of Scruffy and Matt Groening who think this is the best album ever are try hards on mu who believe they have superior and unique tastes. Sure, the idea is interesting and it's unquestionably original, but it's not aesthetically pleasing for the most part. I would recommend not listening to it again if you don't enjoy it, imo listening to music shouldn't have to take a lot of effort
>>
>>61313220
The music.
>>
>>61313146
it's the only essential rock/popular music album ever made
>>
>>61314123
It's not the best album ever, but it's pretty damn fantastic. It's certainly up there. If I would ever give credit to Rolling Stone magazine for anything, it would be ranking TMR in the 50-100 range on their list of the best albums of all time. That's the range I think it belongs.
>>
It's one of those things that people pretend to like to seem patrician like field recordings or musique concrete. Except field recordings and musique concrete are actually tolerable while TMR is insufferable.
>>
>>61314171
I completely disagree, but to each their own. If music to you only means originality and new ideas then I can understand, but to me music has to be pleasurable to listen to. I hate rehashed shit as much as the next /mu/tant, but just because something is original doesn't mean it's good. If people actually think this is pleasurable to listen to then I guess their brains must be wired differently than mine
>>
>>61314228
Well said, I'm with you
>>
>>61314123
John Peel liked it
>>
>>61314228
Sounds like you've got a case of "shit taste"!
The way to cure it is to listen to it louder!
>>
>>61313146
Of course it's a joke. It's also one of the best albums in the general canon of american rock music.
>>
>>61313220
compositionally blends free jazz, acid rock , and blues rock int something entirely unique in thee history of music. All youre showing me is that you don't know jazz either
>>
I like TMR a lot, but I've always thought the story it tells/atmosphere it creates/etc is too irrelevant to what's typically expressed in music for it to be the 'best ever'. Like it's this drunken, delirious hobo fantasy, and it's expressed very well, but what relevance can that possibly have to your life? How does it lend itself to personal meaning?
>>
File: hotdogs.jpg (47 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
hotdogs.jpg
47 KB, 500x442
DACHAU BLUES

those pbpbpbpoooor jeeewwwwsss

still crying bout the burnins back in world war twoooss
one mAd man, six miillion looz

down in dachau blues down in dachau blues

the world can't forget that Miserray!
and the young ones beggin the ol ones plEAse!
stop being mAdmen

fore we have to tell our childrens bout the burnins back in world war threeess

what's not to like?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.