[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know a lot of you like this album a lot. I also know a lot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: jim-orourke-simple-songs.jpg (98 KB, 891x891) Image search: [Google]
jim-orourke-simple-songs.jpg
98 KB, 891x891
I know a lot of you like this album a lot. I also know a lot of you, like me, realize that for some inexplicable reason it sounds like fucking shit. The songs are great but the EQ and mixing are just bad. There's way too much treble and the "center channel" seems completely sucked out, leading to lifeless vocals and bass.
Did Jim do this on purpose? Eureka is such a fantastic sounding album. I can't understand this one.
Anyways, I fixed it. It sounds great now...
>>
File: simple1.png (798 KB, 1498x962) Image search: [Google]
simple1.png
798 KB, 1498x962
>>61312770
...step 1: set Adobe Audition's center channel extractor to these settings...
>>
File: simple2.png (806 KB, 1494x960) Image search: [Google]
simple2.png
806 KB, 1494x960
>>61312787
...center channel extractor settings continued. This will bump up (primarily) the vocals and bass in the mix to where they sound "normal" instead of buried in the mix...
>>
i really don't know why the mixing is so fucking shit on this

where his headphones broken

is he just lazy

i do not understand
>>
File: simple3.png (135 KB, 1156x1052) Image search: [Google]
simple3.png
135 KB, 1156x1052
>>61312812
...step 2: set Audition's FFT filter to this. After this just normalize the whole album to 99.9% and it's fixed. It sounds normal now. Bass, mids and treble sound balanced, vocals are actually fucking audible now, bass actually has some presence and impact now.
Maybe Jim fucked this album up on purpose to encourage us to learn how to use music production tools or something.
>>
>>61312823
It's completely baffling to comprehend if you listen to it right after Eureka, which sounds perfect. Maybe he turned his vocals down in the mix because he doesn't like his own voice (most of us don't, amirite?) and that I can understand but the piercing treble is harder to grasp.
>>
i thought he looked like bubbles from the wire

apparently he doesn't
>>
>>61312787
>>61312812
>>61312864
Now tell us how to do that on Audacity.
>>
>>61312770
is there something wrong with me if I had no problem with mixing of this album as well as bad neighbor?
>>
>>61313066
Step 1: Vocal Reduction and Isolation filter.
Action: Isolate Center
Strength: 1
Low cut for vocals: 20
High cut for vocals: 20000
Copy the result then undo the filter. Create a new stereo track then paste it into the new track. Set the new track to about 6 or 7 dB quieter than the main track above it. This sounds to me like about the same balance as my Audition version. Shift-click both tracks then do tracks menu => mix and render to new track.
Step 2: Just go to effect => equalization and use the window that pops up to graphically approximate the filter shown >>61312864
Step 2 should be self-explanatory.
>>
>>61313238
Your audio equipment sucks, your ears suck or you've simply never heard what audio is supposed to sound like, that being properly mastered audio being played back in optimal acoustic conditions with a perfectly flat frequency response save for a mild treble reduction in line with the kind they use in recording studios.
>>
it's meant to sound like a shitty 70s rock album
>>
someone upload a 'remastered' mix plz
>>
>>61313450
fuck that
drop the the mids
eat shit midcity
off we go lads, back to rocktown
oi
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.