[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>89 years old >still performing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 7
>89 years old
>still performing
>>
His live concerts are embarrassing.
>>
enough energy to perform, not enough to rape. he's achieved balance
>>
>>61294077
So was BB King at the end. Getting old really sucks.
>>
>>61294055
>20 years old
>never performed
you are so much better
>>
>>61294332
kid cudi is a better guitarist that current-day check burry
>>
>>61294372
see
>>61294332
>>
Reminder he literally ate shit
>>
chuck berry also had girlfriends that were like 13 years old and would shit on them and make them shit on him too

Him and bo diddley would hang in a hot tub and have 14 yr olds piss on them

he operated a bunch of meth labs back in the 80s

he was implicated in 2 murder

hes a evil fucker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mveRBRCC0bE
>>
>>61295930
He had cameras set up to record women on the toilet
>>
>>61294317
A lot has been said about the poor quality of BB King's shows towards the end, although this actually is pretty alright. He has a good amount of energy here and seems to be having fun even if it's fairly obvious that his playing isn't what it once was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Di1u5hkzA

I haven't found any recent Chuck Berry footage where he isn't a horrible wreck who can't sing anymore, can't play, and forgets the lyrics of songs he's performed literally thousands of times.
>>
>>61295930
He's like a Steely Dan album come to life!
>>
>>61296092
Could be worse - could be Malcolm Young

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6_rpuuvxpc
>>
>>61296092
IDK, but the best explanation I have is that Chuck's performances are more physical; he has to get up and move around and play fast songs which BB King did not have to do. It may be that sitting in a chair and strumming the blues is easier for an octogenarian to pull off, and even there, as you noted, BB's playing was a lot simpler and not as tight or technical as it was 30 years ago.
>>
>>61296136
Getting dementia at only 60 is just...wow.
>>
>>61296136
"This video contains content from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. It is not available in your country."
>>
>>61296136
I hope no one remembers their songs
>>
>>61296220
>>61296092
BB King used to be a pretty physical performer when he was young (think Live At The Regal). He'd do stuff like knee slides and jumping around on stage.
>>
>>61296254
Payback for all the videos blocked here
>>
>>61296520
Yeah well, you unleashed the cancer of AC/DC on the world so you have few friends on this board, Ausfailia.
>>
>>61296555
You didn't have to buy the records, rest of the world
>>
>AC/DC and Men At Work

That's the entirety of Australia's contributions to popular music.
>>
>>61295930
>Him and bo diddley would hang in a hot tub and have 14 yr olds piss on them

Chuck I expected but BO??? Cite source
>>
I saw him a few times in the late 50s, his performances were great especially considering the time
>>
>>61297569
Don't you have a show to set up, Keith? You'll be late..
>>
How is Buddy Guy doing?
>>
>>61297610
Funny you say that, I was never really into The Stones. I like a few songs of theirs, but I never made an effort to see them live.
>>
>>61297759
As far as I know, pretty good though he's an entire decade younger than Chuck.

>>61297610
Naw, >>61297569 is just Robert Christgau coming here to annoy us.
>>
>>61297940
Oh. Figures he'd be the type to browse /mu/.
>>
>>61297569
if not trolling, how old are you?
>>
>>61298035
I was born in 1934.

I must say, there was a huge increase in the quality of popular music starting around 1964 and in full swing by 1967. I started going to concerts much more frequently around that time.
>>
>>61298035
I'm 25. Seriously, you guys take b8 way too easily.
>>
>>61294077
so is my life
>>
File: 1311603778372.jpg (32 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
1311603778372.jpg
32 KB, 323x323
>>61298083
>I was born in 1934

You could have at least put more effort into your trolling, dude. Especially since people over 30 didn't follow the Rolling Stones back then, they just considered rock to be unlistenable noise.
>>
>>61298129
I was not over 30 when the Rolling Stones debuted, and I'm only 2 years older than their founding bassist.

While it is true that most fans of that hippie ers music were born between about 1940 and 1952, there were plenty of people in their 30s who also enjoyed jt. I guess most people identify more with music from their teens and 20s, but like I said, the quality of popular music greatly improved in the mid 60s.
>>
>>61298183
Do the math. Someone born in 1934 was like already 30 when the Stones recorded their first record (which was in the mid-1960s) and almost 35 when they were at their peak.
>>
>>61298250
There were plenty of people my age involved in the counterculture, like Papa John for instance.

It was less commin for someone my age to be into that kind of music, but it obviously wasn't rare as even the Stones bassist himself was about my age.
>>
Wasn't the drummer from Spirit in his 40s or something? He apparently shaved himself bald to hide his graying temples.
>>
>>61298366
Ed Cassidy? Yeah he was a WWII veteran born 1923 and probably the oldest guy in rock in the 60s. Nobody would bat an eye at a 45 year old rock drummer today but back then...that was why he shaved bald, to hide his age a bit.
>>
>>61298366
I just looked it up and Ed Cassidy was born in 1923

That's insanely old for a member of a hippie era band, but then again my grandfather was the same age and he liked Chicago.
>>
>>61298447
Yeah it's not even that common for people born in the late 30s to be in rock bands at the time

But there were some dudes born as early as 1934 that I can think of, like Sneaky Pete Kleinow and Skip Battin
>>
>>61298507
>Yeah it's not even that common for people born in the late 30s to be in rock bands at the time

That was the 50s rockabilly generation so it was completely believable that they could have played rock-and-roll. And Grace Slick was born in 1939 so still pre-1940.
>>
>>61298454
Chicago's not rock though, they were jazz/jazz fusion which was probably more digestible to people that age than Blue Oyster Cult or something.
>>
>>61296642

Nick Cave would like a word with you.
>>
>>61298567
Early Chicago rocked pretty hard but.they switched to soft rock/jazz rock for some reason
>>
>>61296642
>The Birthday Party
>Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel
>The Scientists
>SPK
>feedtime
>Beasts of Bourbon
>Dead Can Dance
>Dirty Three
>HTRK
Other than that, you're right though
>>
>>61298545
Oh I know there were exceptions of course, but most people in rock bands of the mid to late 60s were born in the 40s
>>
>>61298447
Even Chuck Berry was three years younger than him.

>>61298507
Well, among that generation you had guys who identified more with the hippies/baby boomers like George Carlin, Wavy Gravy, and Abbie Hoffman and others like Tom Jones who identified more with the WWII generation and looked up to Frank Sinatra rather than the Rolling Stones. There were lots of these guys during the hippie era like Tom Jones and BJ Thomas who sang 50s-style music/traditional pop and had an older fanbase.
>>
Chuck Berry is currently the 13th oldest living rock star:

http://www.ihopeidiebeforeigetold.com/oldest-living-rock-stars.php

Though technically Tony Bennett is pop, George Martin is a pop producer, Sue Thompson is pop/country, Mac Wiseman is country, Ned Miller is country, Roy Haynes is jazz, Henry Gray is blues, Charles Aznavour is pop, Doris Day is pop, Kay Starr is pop, Dave Bartholomew is an R&B songwriter and Vera Lynn was pop.

So, this sexual degenerate serves as rock's oldest star. Ain't that a shame.
>>
>>61298622
>>61298545
The Elvis generation were swept off the map by the Beatles in a hurry; by the 70s, Roy Orbison was playing at county fairs in front of like 20 people. Many of them met tragic ends or died in poverty.

>Bill Haley
Went insane and died at 55
>Buddy Holly
'Nuff said
>Frankie Lyman
Died at 25 of a heroin OD
>Roy Orbison
Became a nobody by the hippie era, his wife and son died in accidents, his house burned down, and he died at 52 just when his career was reviving.
>Connie Francis
Got raped.
>Ricky Nelson
Died in his 40s in a plane crash
>Bobby Darin
Died in his 30s of a congenital heart defect.
>>
>>61298764
To be fair, the Beatles Era Music, especially by the time Sgt. Pepper's was released, is a hell of a lot better than most of the music from the Elvis generation. Which I don't even like calling it because he wasn't really doing anything new other than playing for white audiences.

But young people today still listen to The Beatles, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, etx.
>>
>>61298739
it'd be worse for Rock n Roll if he wasn't a sexual degenerate
>>
>>61298764
Frankie Lyman was actually the same age as the hippie rockers, but I guess he never produced music past the early 60s that was relevant
>>
>>61298764
For all that, Jerry Lee Lewis is almost lucky to still be alive and performing. He was a mess back 10 years ago and near death, but some rich fanboy Steve Bing who had too much time and money on his hands saved him. He got Lewis back on the performing circuit and paid for some medical procedures that he badly needed, but couldn't afford.
>>
>>61298900
Nah, he just couldn't do as Michael Jackson did and become an adult star. There are some recordings of him singing in his 20s and his adult voice was meh.
>>
>>61298850
>To be fair, the Beatles Era Music, especially by the time Sgt. Pepper's was released, is a hell of a lot better than most of the music from the Elvis generation

No shit, rockabilly and doo-wop were very limited forms of music compared to >1965. In fact in those days, the older generation complained that real singing and songwriting were dead. Which was partially true; none of those 50s rock-and-rollers were a patch on Sinatra and Fitzgerald for vocal ability or the great songwriters like Irving Berlin for lyrics. In fact Elvis really always wanted to be Frank Sinatra and thought rock was just stupid kids' stuff and he had to grow up and become a "serious" performer.
>>
>>61299005
Did Elvis ever change his mind on that?
>>
>>61298924
Funny how Chuck Berry raped underage groupies like tasty bread for decades and nothing much happened to him beyond a short jail stint in the 60s, but JLL almost had his life ruined for one little mistake.
>>
>>61299046
I don't think so. He said in an early 70s interview "Man, I was innocent compared with the stuff they do now. All I did was shake my hips." The Beatles worshiped him of course and were let down that he completely disowned his 50s stuff and wouldn't acknowledge or perform it anymore.
>>
>>61296642
NICK CAVE
I
C
K

C
A
V
E
>>
>>61299055
Chuck wasn't stupid enough to get caught, besides he's black so in those days they kind of took it as writ that black dudes were degenerate sex maniacs. A white guy was held to higher standards.
>>
>>61299099
>>61299055
All those 50s rock-and-rollers raped underage groupies. How the fuck do you think Elvis met Priscilla?
>>
>>61299074
Further reason why I think it's laughable to refer to him as "the king of rock"
>>
>>61299099
yeah I was gonna say the victims were probably black so the police wouldn't have cared as much
>>
>>61299005
>>61298454
In the 50s, rock was just a teenager fad. John Lennon wondered if at 23 he was too old to play rock-and-roll. Then they said nobody over 30 could be a rock star.

Then it's 2015 and Keith Richards says "I can well imagine we'll still be doing this when we're 80."
>>
>>61299117
Elvis was popular for his image and sex appeal, which became an ingredient of rock, however most people would give Chuck Berry the title of "king of rock" since he basically invented the stuff in the first place and of course he's still around at almost 90 and performing (barely) so more generations of music fans have gotten to know him while nobody under 45 can remember Elvis being alive.
>>
>>61299202
Frank Zappa admired Chuck like everyone else in rock but loathed Elvis. I can see that Elvis wasn't that relevant from a musician's POV since he didn't really play instruments.
>>
>>61297940
>>61297759
I haven't heard any complaints about him, though he still isn't yet 80 which is the point where Chuck Berry really started to lose it as a performer.
>>
>>61299152
I think rock became an established genre around 1965-1966.
>>
Guy almost died on stage last time he played Chicago.
>>
>>61295930
>this is a bad thing
>>
The bassist of the latter day Byrds was 35 when he joined, he actually had a couple big hits in 1959 and 1960 as part of Skip and Flip.
>>
File: Little-Richard.jpg (39 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Little-Richard.jpg
39 KB, 300x300
Hey guys, what's goin on?

Man, some y'all lookin rough, what happened?
>>
>>61299460
Buddy Guy is a bit on the sloppy side live; how much of that is due to his age you can debate over, although he likes to claim "When I was young, I played really tight and nobody cared. Now I play sloppy and everyone loves me."
>>
Pinetop Perkins lived to almost 100; at his death in 2011, he had 20 shows booked for the year.
>>
>>61299783
That might be true to an extent though

He can probably book more shows now than in 1970 when he was fucking incredible
>>
File: The_Byrds_(1970).jpg (3 MB, 2887x2165) Image search: [Google]
The_Byrds_(1970).jpg
3 MB, 2887x2165
>>61299644
Skip Battin is so sexy
>>
File: Cohen-770x470.jpg (65 KB, 770x470) Image search: [Google]
Cohen-770x470.jpg
65 KB, 770x470
>leonard Cohen is 81 and still performing
I think he'll probably die onstage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuCpTi0EtbU
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3_izsNHl-8
>>
>>61299783
>>61299863
Being old and not being able to play some things the way you did when you were 40 is one thing. I wouldn't be mad at BB King for >>61296092, I wouldn't be mad at Pinetop Perkins when he said he couldn't play keyboards in his 90s as hard as he used to. I wouldn't be mad at Les Paul for hitting bung notes because he had bad hearing and mistook Es for Fs. All of those I could accept and say Ok you're like 80-90 you're gonna slow down a little compared with 30 years ago.

The way Chuck "performs" now is just an embarrassment and goes beyond slowing a little with age. There's nothing even remotely reminiscent of music in his shows now.
>>
>>61299783
Eh, I think what I find disappointing about BG is that he quit playing his own way 20 years ago and just decided to imitate Hendrix and other guitarists.
>>
>>61300025
Could you post a particularly bad Chuck performance?
>>
>>61300108
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxixIbONuCQ

/thread
>>
>>61299237
Zappa is a massive contrarian snob dickhead, and was only a boring political mouthpiece for the last 20 years of his life.
>>
>>61300130
that wasn't too terrible, I mean it sucked but I was expecting worse
>>
>>61300142
Zappa was cooler than the vast majority of political musicians.
>>
>>61300130
I've heard that Chuck Berry gives not the slightest fuck who his backing band is, figuring "If they can play rock and roll, they'll do. My songs ARE rock and roll"

He cares far more about being picked up in a Lincoln Continental and being paid in cash.
>>
>>61296092
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtvdgETe4Yc

Also from '13. He has pretty good stage presence and sings well, although again his playing is kinda weak (hitting the strings at the beginning like a kid banging on a guitar). On the other hand, his guitar tone is almost perfect here while the other video sounds a bit off. A lot of the recent BB King footage I could find isn't as bad as the Ticketmaster reviews suggest though I imagine some shows might have been worse than others.
>>
>>61300251
He was not. He made some really great music until about 1970, and then jerked himself off forever when he wasn't making comedy rock.
>>
>>61300130
His hearing is pretty well gone, he can't sing anymore, and he has arthritis that would definitely create problems trying to play a fast song like Johnny B. Goode.
>>
>>61299237
>I can see that Elvis wasn't that relevant from a musician's POV since he didn't really play instruments

I guess then that Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald didn't count as musicians since they didn't play an instrument?
>>
>>61300389
>>61300130
And now you know why I never want to live past 70.
>>
>>61300424
CSN is in their 70s and their shows are still great
>>
>>61300389
>and he has arthritis that would definitely create problems trying to play a fast song like Johnny B. Goode

That might make it worse, however Tony Iommi had to get hand surgery and Sabbath's songs are really slow.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlPVoMHRtyg

Chuck in the mid-90s with Springsteen. He would have been just short of 70. At that time, he was still awesome. Wish he'd retired after this show instead of ending up like >>61300130
>>
>>61298083
Shit, I just figured it out. This guy is actually Leonard Cohen.
>>
>>61300515
Damn.
>>
>>61300488
Chuck's playing is decent but not amazing and he also had one of the best backing bands he could find anywhere.
>>
>>61295930
wat
>>
>>61300515
It all makes sense now.
>>
>>61299237
>>61300407
People only make that weird argument when it comes to Elvis, which just makes me think they're ignorant of Elvis. Elvis could play the guitar and the piano proficiently, he just put away his guitar for live shows because he was more interested in singing.

Elvis not only had a powerful voice with a wide range, but he also had an incredibly unique voice. His covers are almost always better if not just as good as the original, and his interpretations are masterful. He recorded some of the most remarkable rock/rockabilly/blues/country of his era, producing an untouchable string of singles for Sun Records, and a great catalogue of albums for RCA. Then after a decade which he spent in the Army, and then in movies, he came back with another set of incredible singles and records, most notably "From Elvis in Memphis". He then took a Vegas residency before it was a thing for dying washed up crooners to do, and gave great performance even as he got sicker and sicker. Watch his last song performed, it's incredible: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OmLOt9mRD18

He gave that, and he was almost fucking dead!

If you like this style of music enough to enter this Chuck Berry thread, you owe it to yourself to listen to The Sun Sessions, and From Elvis in Memphis. If you dig that, check out his debut LP and Elvis at Stax.

Elvis is great. He'll outlive all of us. It's a tragedy that he only ever seems to be thought of as a chubby man in outlandish jumpsuits, because he is so much more. I blame Elvis impersonators generally being fat, middle aged men.
>>
>>61299005
>Sinatra
>vocal ability
Elvis was a way better singer than Sinatra
>>
>>61301224
A lot of things unfortunately worked against Elvis's legacy which was his popularity with 50 year old white trash women (although that stereotype was more true in the 80s than now) who had tons of shitty Elvis memorabilia decorating their trailer.
>>
>>61301311
lol
>>
>>61301459
Sinatra was the coolest guy but not a proper singer. He said that himself. He never really sings, he speaks, you should have noticed that.
>>
I personally like the sound of Sinatra's voice better than Elvis's, but that's just me.
>>
>>61300796
Chuck was never an outstanding live performer even in the 50s. Besides, live music is about energy more than perfect musicianship.
>>
>>61301437
>>61301611
Sometimes it's hard to understand why somebody is a good singer when they don't display range, but Sinatra combines great delivery and affectation with really warm mid-to-low notes. Listen to him on In the Wee Small Hours, he's heartbroken.

Although if you just think that style of music is boring, then that's your thing.
>>
>>61294317
Hey I saw him in 2011 and he was great. He just didn't play for very long
>>
>>61302140
Was it about consistent with >>61296092 and >>61300314?
>>
>>61302074
There we go. He wasn't as good as Bing Crosby or Ella from a technical standpoint, but he could bring out dem feels in a way those two never could.
>>
>>61302221
Except Crosby's voice remained good right to the end (just deeper as he aged) while Sinatra and EF sounded like shit by their 60s.
>>
>>61302300
I'll probably also take his death over theirs.

>dropping of a heart attack after a round of golf
>versus dying a horrible, agonizing, screaming death in a hospital bed
>>
File: Pinetop_Perkins_2008.jpg (183 KB, 806x605) Image search: [Google]
Pinetop_Perkins_2008.jpg
183 KB, 806x605
Pinetop looked pretty good for his age though it seems like he hadn't bought any new clothes since the war.
>>
>>61302757
He would have been a guitarist, but injured his hand in an accident and had to switch to keyboards.
>>
>>61294105
Transporting a fourteen year old across state lines is Jim Crow shit, not rape.
>>
>>61301611
Listen to early sinatra. Before he Fucked his shit up with smoking, he was a beautiful tenor with perfect phrasing and control. He was an amazing improviser and had a great feel for what he was singing.
>>
>>61300142
This. Zappa said the Shaggs were the greatest musical group ever or something like that. Truly horrifying. Listen to "Philosophy of the world"
>>
>>61294077
You just don't get it. He's a pioneer. His new performances are post-noise blues rock concepts. I don't even understand it yet, but it's genius.
>>
>>61303988

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSDBxDcq8dY&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>61298083
If you are not trolling, post a pic of you or something
>>
>>61298335
People your age founded the counter culture.

It's a universal law: cultural movements find their origins in the previous generations.

The 60s hippies took inspiration from the 50s guys that told the hyper-moralist lifestyle to fuck itself.
>>
>>61294430
(not true by the way)
>>
>>61304016
This is making me feel miserable.
>>
File: 1448047816281.jpg (100 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
1448047816281.jpg
100 KB, 500x499
>>61300376
>until about 1970
>Roxy & Elsewhere, The Grand Wazoo and Studio Tan aren't great
>>
>>61299237
It's the same way people see pop rock stars now.

Even if they are genuinely good they'll get disrespected because they do pop rock
>>
>>61305533
that's true, the beatniks of the 50s were like the proto-hippies
>>
>>61299116
>raped
you can't rape groupies

you may say intimidated or pressured fangirls to put it out but groupies are instantly assumed to be down for it
>>
>>61298618
>popular
hahahahahahah
>>
If Hendrix was still alive how good do you think his performances would be today?
>>
>>61306574
it depends on whether or not he cleaned up his act
>>
>>61296642

INXS was really good and also pretty popular across the globe
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.