[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a more cringeworthy song than "Across The Sea"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 2
File: Weezer_Pinkerton.jpg (297 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
Weezer_Pinkerton.jpg
297 KB, 1024x1024
Name a more cringeworthy song than "Across The Sea" by Weezer.

You can't.
>>
I honestly can't
>>
>>61291915
>Across the Sea
>Not amazing

disgusting
>>
I Can't Stop Partying
>>
>>61291948

"Cringeworthy" isn't a synonym for "bad".
>>
el oh el
>>
>>61291948
>They don't make stationery like this where I'm from
>So fragile, so refined
>So I sniff and I lick your envelope
>And fall to little pieces every time
>I wonder what clothes you wear to school
>I wonder how you decorate your room
>I wonder how you touch yourself
>And curse myself for being across the sea

disgusting
>>
>>61291982
>implying that's not one of the best stanzas of the mid 90's
>>
>>61292000
there's a reason why rivers won't play Pinkerton songs anymore. they're fucking embarrassing. nice trips btw
>>
>>61291915
Patrick Swayze's "She's Like the Wind." Tal Bachman's "She's So High." Both are from the lyrical perspective of a complete cuck.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C3zgYW_FAM
>>
>>61292034
Except he does. Weezer literally did a tour a few years ago where they played the Blue Album and Pinkerton all the way through.
>>
>>61292135
that guitar solo sounds like diarrhea

how can any reasonably successful guitarist have tone that bad
>>
Don't people love it BECAUSE it's cringey? It's supposed to be unsettling.
>>
If you don't like Pinkerton you should viper yourself.
>>
If you don't love Pinkerton then you have shit opinions.
>>
pork and beans
>>
hi
>>
>>61292268

You're fucking retarded right and know nothing about the history of this band?

Literally look on wikipedia and realize how dumb you sound.
>>
>>61291915
Easy.
In The Garage
>>
>>61292034
>>61293775
You have brain damage. They absolutely did a tour where they played Blue Album and Pinkerton in their entirety.
>>
>>61293748
hi
>>
your favorite song
>>
>>61296757
>>61292268

you guys are dorks

the Memories tour was a thing, mainly to satisfy the fans of the older works

Nevertheless, Rivers rarely plays Pinkerton songs. One large exception doesn't erase the >1 decade trend
>>
>>61297077
except it does you retard
>>
>>61297077
>just because what I said was wrong doesn't mean I'm not right
>>
>>61291982
That's honestly not that bad.
>>
>>61292034
>there's a reason why rivers won't play Pinkerton songs anymore
Because he is afraid of honesty in art.
>>
>>61291915
Undone
>>
>>61291915
Pink Triangle
>>
any weezer song after pinkerton
across the sea makes me cringe but in a good way
>>
This album is more or less supposed to be cringeworthy to some degree, it's like a drunk text you wish you didn't send the next morning

>inb4 autists say I'm somehow excusing cheesy writing or something
>>
>>61292034
I just saw Weezer and they didn't play that much Pinkerton but they played some. They didn't do across the sea tho :(
>>
>>61300038
>I just saw Weezer
lol pleb
>>
>>61299050
this, fuck that song
>>
>>61300187
>I can't relate to it, so it's cringe
Yikes.
>>
I love this album but I literally skip that song every time its so fucking gay
>>
>>61300372
The melody, chord sequence, performance and instrumentation is interesting though.
>>
>>61297077
Rivers' opinion of Pinkerton USED to be negative but he's warmed up to it over the years. In 2010 he said this in an interview "Right around 2001, when we put out the Green Album, I said a lot of negative, inflammatory things about Pinkerton and about a lot of things. I said a lot of crazy stuff. And those quotes have lived on for the last nine years. And people get confused and they think I still feel that way even though it was something I said in an off-handed way nine years ago. But ever since I've been trying to make it clear that, of course, I think it's a brilliant album. I love it. I love the songs and I love playing those songs and I hope the positive message gets through"
>>
>>61300542
God he's such a fucking bitch
>>
>>61291915

The entire album is cringeworthy lyrically, even tho it's got some nice tunes.

Really, if you enjoy Pinkerton for the lyrics and/or find them relatable, you're a bitch-ass pussy.
>>
>>61300617
Yes, he it, but he made a good album once. I don't care how cringey and dumb and awkward he it, I still love Pinkerton to death.
>>
>>61300672
Well the thing is, it's intentionally "cringey and dumb". I don't know why people keep missing that.
>>
It's nothing compared to Sweater song by Weezer.
>>
>>61291915
>What is Raditude after the first tracks?
>What is the entirety of the Red Album except for Thought I Knew?
>What is Beverly Hills?
Pinkerton isn't even that cringeworthy really, especially if you compare it to shit like:
>Monday to Sunday I hit all the clubs
>And everybody know me when I pull up
>I got the real big posse with me, yeah I'm deep
>And if you looking for me I'm in VIP

Or how about...
>I've been watching you, girl, from the back of my car
>I see you're unsure of the place that you are
>Groceries spillin' up out of your bag
>Thinkin' you'll end up a penniless hag

Or how about...
>Look at all those movie stars
>They're all so beautiful and clean
>When the housemaids scrub the floors
>They get the spaces in between

Find me worse lyrics than those three sections on Pinkerton. Protip: you can't.
>>
>>61300770
>>What is the entirety of the Red Album except for Thought I Knew?
TGMTEL and Pork and Beans are great man
>>
>>61300770
have you heard the original rendition of Can't Stop Partying? IIRC it's on Alone II, but it's pretty damn good.

It expresses the tragedy of his "addiction to partying" instead of acting like he's hot shit
>>
It's part of the magic.
>>
>>61300722
It's not though. All of Pinkerton is very personal and heartfelt. I personally don't think it is cringey because it's genuine and you can tell that Cuomo was actually coming from a real, personal place when he wrote them. I think lyrically and musically that Pinkerton is absolutely beautiful. Can't say that for any other Weezer record, except for the unreleased Songs from the Black Hole and maybe the Blue album. If anything their most cringey album is the Red Album. Jesus Christ, that fucking record.
>>
>>61300861
I agree, the unreleased version is much much better. I can't believed they made that song into an actually party anthem. Can you imagine if they did the same thing with a song like Tired for Sex?
>>
>>61300833
I was trying to find something cringey in Pork and Beans but I couldn't. You got me there. On the other track though,
>You try to play it cool like you just don't care
>But soon I'll be playin' in your underwear
That's all I have to post.
>>61300861
I did and very much enjoyed it, but it wouldn't have belonged on the final piece that Raditude is anyways. It had the tone of something you'd find on Make Believe.
>>
>>61300878
>I personally don't think it is cringey because it's genuine
Truly genuine lyrics often end up cringey. Every written songs or poetry before?
>>
>>61300968
>>But soon I'll be playin' in your underwear
I hope you realize that a lot of songs in Red are ironic (especially this one), but there is shit like Heart Songs and The Angel and the One that really kill the album
>>
>>61300878
I really hope that SFTBH eventually gets the Smile treatment

>>61300909
lol and I completely forgot that they brought Lil Wayne in for that one, what a mess (Lil Wayne isn't bad in his own right, but c'mon)

>>61300968
no disagreement there, the less-than-mediocre pop rock version fits in perfectly.
>>
Pork and beans
>>
>>61301078
>He list good tracks off of the album and says they killed the album
What do you mean ironic? As of now, I hate Red a little bit more than Raditude but maybe something you say can let me appreciate it more.
>>
YOU TAKE YOUR CAR TO WORK
I'LL TAKE MY BOARD
>>
>>61301024
Yes I have, but I don't think that Pinkerton's lyrics are poorly written. I think from a literary standpoint they're fine and the genuine and frank nature of them raises Pinkerton's lyrics far above those on, say, the Blue album, or really any other album they've done. The themes on the album are great and the allusions to Madame Butterfly create a loose concept that fleshes out the personal tragedy that Cuomo is trying to describe. I get chills listening to Butterfly everytime I listen to this album all the way through because of that, because the theme of isolation and frailty, which is built from the constant allusions to M. Butterfly, are fully realized. It is absolutely heartbreaking in my opinion.
>>
>>61301084
There are some pretty good reconstructions of SFTBH online built from the released tracks and demos. Check it out, it's leagues better than everything they've done post Pinkerton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbTYSKDvtlo
>>
>>61301149
Is that the Albums That Never Were one? That's the best I've heard.
>>61301118
Eh
>>
>>61301109
Those track are not good, they are incredibly corny that might as well be written by any band at the time 2bh.
What I mean that a songs are ironic is that they are often about being a r00d and cool boy, and I'm pretty sure that Rivers is pretty much self-aware that he isn't that way. Just look at how he looked during that era, we had a gross moustache and he was dressed like a cowboy in the cover. Would you take seriously a man who'd look like that?
>>
>>61301326
No, I wouldn't take him seriously I suppose. You raise a good point. Half of the album is still mediocre.
>>
>>61300282
who says I can't relate to it? That song is still ass tho.
>>
>>61301457
>who says I can't relate to it?
Your implications.
>That song is still ass tho.
Why is it ass?
>>
>>61301246
Yeah it is that version. I think it's the best reconstruction as it feels like a fully fleshed out album, even if it's not 100% accurate in its recreation.
>>
>>61300672
He made a good album twice though.
>>
>>61301634
What was the other one? Blue?
>>
>>61291960
The acoustic version Can't Stop Partying from Alone II is actually quite amazing baka tbqfh familia
>>
>>61301565
>even if it's not 100% accurate in its recreation.
?
>>
Anything by hopsin
>did the man who invented college
>>
>>61301932
the reconstruction doesn't follow either of the two official track lists and adds a song that, while thematically fits the album, wasn't originally supposed to be a part of the album.
>>
>cringeworthy
>thinking that's not the point

Pinkerton is Weezer's best album because it shows Rivers at his most honest, disturbing, embarassing, and even pathetic.

Across the Sea is also the best song on Pinkerton because of how much of a wreck Rivers portrays himself as and because one can believe he really was this fucked up and creepy.
>>
File: dfw.jpg (357 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
357 KB, 750x500
>>61291915

>2011+4
>sincerity is considered "cringeworthy"

Why live?
>>
>>61292282
That is the gimmick and I can see why he doesn't play it anymore, it'd be embarrassing but the sound of the record is fantastic, it's real heart on the sleeve beyond the point of societal acceptance.
>>
>>61300372
>so fucking gay
Of course you didn't like it.
>>
>>61302977
>the reconstruction doesn't follow either of the two official track lists
It's a combination of both.
>and adds a song that, while thematically fits the album, wasn't originally supposed to be a part of the album.
Oh do you have a copy of the 100% correct finished album?
>>
>>61303226
bruh its all irony these days
>>
>>61303226
Did Pinkerton create New Sincerity?
>>
IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE CRINGEWORTHY

TEENAGE LOVE IS FUCKING AWKWARD AND WEIRD AND EMBARRASSING
>>
>>61305269
Rivers was 25 when he wrote the album you dunce
>>
>>61305308
says a lot tobehonesto
>>
>>61305314
>tobehonesto
Do you have a problem being honest usually?
>>
>>61303226
follow DFW's example anon
>>
>>61304623
no but the guy who reconstructed the album straight up said he added it because it fits well with the album despite not originally being written for it, you edgy dweebus
>>
>>61305338
i lie so people will hang out with me
>>
>>61305355
Well... does it fit well?
>>
>>61299050
>>61300187
i've been in that song's situation
i love it
>>
>>61305387
kind of. Lyrically and thematically but it doesn't flow well with the rest of the songs. It doesn't feel seamless like the rest of the album does. The best thing I can say is that it adds on to the story as it shows Jonas deciding to leave Maria and his new born daughter out of the fear and anxiety of the unknown world of parenting and responsibility (the key theme of the album is escapism, so it makes sense that Jonas would want to escape the new world of responsibility seemingly thrust upon him)
>>
>>61305358
are you Rivers Cuomo??
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.