[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
am I the only one who finds electronic genres really confusing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: 2015.png (23 KB, 145x158) Image search: [Google]
2015.png
23 KB, 145x158
am I the only one who finds electronic genres really confusing? I can't tell if something's breakcore or idm? chill/downtempo or breakbeat? Big Beat or breakcore? I feel very stupid.
>>
>>61285542
>I can't tell if something's breakcore or idm

Breakcore has way faster beats

>chill/downtempo or breakbeat

Chill/Downtempo is more chilled

>Big Beat or breakcore

See ^^
>>
>>61285542
you haven't listened to enough, obvs
>>
don't bother with breakcore - it's shit.

literally metalheads trying to make jungle and hardcore
>>
eh i wouldn't worry about it too much, just learn the umbrella genres
>>
>>61285592
Why is this your guys' reactions to every question? Great atmosphere this place has
>>
>>61285611
sounds good to me
>>
>>61285571
I thought drill n bass was the one with the really fast beats
>>
>>61285659
not really trying to be a dick here. it just takes a lot of listening to be able to discern between genres. idm, techno and breakbeat don't mean much when you've only listened to a single record from each genre.

this is less me calling you a newfag and more me encouraging you to listen to more music.
>>
>>61285694
it's pretty naff
>>
It's all electronic.
Fight me.
>>
>>61286001
well sure, just like post-punk, metal, britpop, hardcore, grunge, prog, and emo are all string music
>>
>>61285611
>literally metalheads trying to make jungle and hardcore
venetian snares
altho i understand where ur coming from, i don't think vsnares has done anything worthwhile since my downfall

op u should listen to liminal space
>>
listen to more of it and it'll all make sense. and that means not just your token rockist bullshit /mu/ likes such as idm, breakcore, downtempo etc.
>>
post ridiculous genre distinctions

Microhouse vs Ambient House
>>
>>61285542
>breakcore or idm? chill/downtempo or breakbeat? Big Beat or breakcore
here's a rly easy way to discern genres
if it has an amen break it's not worth listening to
>>
There are only 2 electronic subgenres: stupid (anything tagged as edm, breakbeat, dubstep, trance etc) and boring (anything tagged as idm, ambient techno, dub, downtempo etc)

Everything else is just micro genre wanking for autists
>>
>>61286122
you're an idiot
>>
>>61286122
juke vs. footwork

i guess i'm just stupid, but they sound really fucking similar. maybe footwork is more house-oriented?

>>61286148
i too like to pretend to be a faggot on internet forums
>>
>>61286122
not really?

listen to the orb and then listen to akufen
>>
>>61285706
They both are, but Drill n Bass is more complex while Breakcore is faster and noisier
>>
>>61286182
that's a good one. you got it mixed around though, juke is more house than footwork
>>
>>61286182
>I too like to pretend to be a faggot on internet forums

good news, you're doing a swell job. I didn't even notice you were pretending!
>>
Why is electronic music so grounded in these rigidly defined genres anyway? In rock music, you can create music that brings in inspiration from all sorts of styles of music, while in electronic music you have to pick one genre with its own rigidly defined tempos and structures.
>>
>>61285542
honestly, if it's not house or trance, i dont give a fuck and label it dance music

so to answer ur question, noo, u are not the only one who is confused.
>>
>>61286242
of course it is. oh well.

>>61286311
rock invented microgenres, homie.

i regard electronic subgenres more as tags as producers rarely staunchly adhere to one genre.
>>
>>61286328
>trance
trance music hasn't existed past approximately 2009
>>
>>61286311
what? there are fusions all the time. in fact, the reason why there are so many of these micro genres is directly BECAUSE so many elements get fused together so often by these artists

i mean, jesus, i get that it's a "meme/rockist genre" but part of the reason IDM is so hard to define is because it pulls from a giant soup of influences (ambient techno, detroit techno/electro, breakbeat hardcore, jungle, hip-hop)
>>
>>61286122
lmaoing @ your life familia
>>
>>61286311
>while in electronic music you have to pick one genre with its own rigidly defined tempos and structures.
citation needed

dance music is very strongly tied to particular locations, particular eras, and particular clubs and associated particular DJs. it's developments in these unique contexts that creates a microgenre. this is not a detriment but a benefit. a great example is one of the most rigid sounds in electronic music - techstep. Techstep was a specific context and for that reason no longer exists.
>>
>>61286407
no, it's because it IS in fact ambient techno, jungle etc, that's attempting to break away from convention

>>61286311
i feel like you've described what poor artists do. artists worth a damn tend to create whatever reflects their socio-cultural circumstances and musical influences.
>>
>>61286311
i'd be interested in seeing a list of what you listen to. an eclectic list of rock acts that the average /mu/ scrub couldn't pin down with accessible subgenres.
>>
good thread
>>
>>61285542
You're not the only one.

Listening to very typical releases can help, but there are a lot of blurry areas where genres meet.

It's way outdated now and the samples have terrible quality, but Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music can be helpful too.

>>61286311
That's not true; if it were, we wouldn't have so many releases that people don't agree how to classify.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.