[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I got one of these (Yamaha YPT-300) for Christmas. Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: L10468836.jpg (39 KB, 650x262) Image search: [Google]
L10468836.jpg
39 KB, 650x262
So I got one of these (Yamaha YPT-300) for Christmas.

Is it possible to hook it to a PC and use it as a MIDI controller/sampler? It has a MIDI in/out but I have no idea how MIDI works.
>>
I also got one of these for Christmas. I think it will. Try it nigga.
>>
>>61282242
you need an interface with a midi port like this one
>>
absolutely possible, its really just asking for it. If it has a usb port that will almost certainly transfer midi
If not you will need an interface like >>61282446 is suggesting, with a midi port. They also make cables with built in midi interfaces (midi to usb cables) but they're hit or miss.

congrats on your entry level board, those things are solid and built in speakers sound better than nice external speakers nine times out of ten. though nothing beats decent headphones for sound quality and stereo imaging
>>
>>61283693
>>61282446
Thanks anons.
Recs on DAWs? I'm using audacity for shit right now but it's very limited
>>
>>61283788
my best recommendation is to pirate several of them and see which ones you like best. you may never actually need to buy one but it can be handy. I personally use presonus studio one and its really nice, though not very popular.

Its not a bad idea to get the audio interface thats recommended, or even made by the some company, as your DAW

If you use an apple computer go ahead and use garageband until you grow out of it (wont take long) then upgrade to logic. I wish thats how I did it but i've been a winfag forever
>>
>>61283788
any daw will work really

it all depends on what you feel comfortable using the most

do how this guy said and try lots of them out
>>61283870
>>
Pro Tools is the industry standard.
>>
File: um-one_mk2_angle_gal.jpg (97 KB, 1680x815) Image search: [Google]
um-one_mk2_angle_gal.jpg
97 KB, 1680x815
>>61282242
a 30 usd interface should be good enough
just make sure it has drivers for your operating system
>>
You probably already know this but MIDI doesn't transmit audio. It only transmits data that triggers audio samples and other shit like that.

Basically, get a MIDI to USB converter. If you want to produce music, you'll need a DAW and there's a variety of choices you can pick. Ableton, Logic Pro (OSX only), FL Studio, Cubase and Studio One.

You can get an audio interface like >>61282446
suggested but seeing as you're just starting, I don't think it's needed. There's no point unless you have good speakers. Look for /prod/ generals and ask more shit there.
>>
if you use anything other than logic pro you're a scrub
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.