[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is next for music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: 1407803630410.png (17 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1407803630410.png
17 KB, 900x900
Is "indie-rock" dead?

Is pop now "it"?

Do musical trends even exist anymore?
>>
steely dan is the future. watch mac demarco drop his slacker goofball image entirely for his next album and bring his steely dan influences to the forefront. all those dirt cheap yacht rock records you can get for a dollar at any record store are about to exponentially increase in value. it's gonna happen
>>
>>61282278
this
>>
>>61282201
Both indie rock and pop have been dead for years.

The only genres that are still evolving are bleep and, to a lesser extant, rap.
>>
>>61282201
Right now the whole apathetic-slack thing is popular, what with the whole Mac Demarco, DIIV, Courtney Barnett sorta sound. The whole irony thing is basically going to end up folding over itself, so in ten years or so we'll see a rise in U2ish type bands. Unironic showmen that are totally sincere. This is generally how it works: ironic decade, sincere decade, ironic decade, sincere decade, and so on.
>>
indie rock was never good. The best artists from the 2000s just happened to get lumped into that category, and the purest indie rock was complete shit
>>
>>61282329
>so in ten years or so we'll see a rise in U2ish type bands.

oh fuck no

i mean i'm all for people having more charisma and stage presence to speak of but the last thing we need is more bands like U2
>>
File: corner.jpg (46 KB, 500x433) Image search: [Google]
corner.jpg
46 KB, 500x433
Hopefully now that we've had a few years to digest the complete sessions of the archetypal recordings for every electronic album made for the past 25 years, a return to organic musique-concrete-funk proto-electric 70s style.
>>
>>61282496
that sounds awful
>>
>>61282519
I can still dream that other people have the same vision as me
>>
>>61282533
not that i consider on the corner or any such music to be awful, but indie kids trying to recreate that would only end in disaster
>>
>>61282450

Meh. I get that it's fashionable to dislike U2 and all, but their early material is incontrovertibly brilliantly crafted music. Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire especially. Maybe U2 are a bad example. Think of The Doors.
>>
Most of these predictions are odd to me.
What i think will happen is rap will start to decline, this will take 2 decades, a few classics will be made, then a new thing in electronic will take a huge storm and will become universal.
It will be something nobody expected, but it is surprising that people hadn't made it before. I have been trying to find out what it will be, but this will take a while.
>>
>>61282755

EDM already became universal among dudebros, it's just that reviewers stopped taking it seriously
>>
>>61282201
>Is "indie-rock" dead?
Are you retarded? There will always be independent rock musicians, probably more so now than ever because of the shrinking rosters of major labels.
>>
>>61282755
EDM is declining compared to how massive it was in 2012, so there'd have to be a new movement. i hope the oligarchy of swedish EDM producers that are currently writing all the western pop hits finally collapses
>>
>>61282800

I was hoping Syro would bring back IDM hype but it was too bland.
>>
>>61282832
RDJ probably hasn't composed any new music since 2001
>>
>>61282755

>2 decades

Nothing moves that slow anymore. The internet has made every trend a fad.
>>
>>61282924
also this

2007, the last year before facebook blew up already feels like decades ago
>>
>>61282968

'pop culture died in 2007' is something most people i know agree upon
>>
>>61282789

Don't be obtuse. We've reached the point where the term "indie-rock" now signifies a musical genre, what in the 90s was alt-rock, and has little to do with independency.
>>
>>61282755
EAM (electronic art music) when?
>>
>>61283008

this, idk why we can't fucking call it alt rock anymore
>>
>>61283008
>now signifies a musical genre
What's it sound like?
>>
>>61283021

Emergency Action Message core when?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcXVJ64h-4I
>>
>>61283022
Because neither is a genre
>>
>>61283027

trap flavored beats
>>
>>61283065
Nah but if you can't accurately describe what the musical boundaries of a "genre" is, then it's not a genre.
>>
>>61283125

you're being pedantic, it's a catch all term just like EDM
>>
>>61283027
It sounds like shit that can be sold to ""alternative"" teenagers.
>>
>>61283138
Then it's not a genre
>>61283143
"I Don't Like It!" is not a genre
>>
>>61283226
I like indie rock, but nowadays it's like that. Why do you think Mumford & Sons and Imagine Dragons are labelled as indie rock?
>>
>>61283390
Which is why it's not a genre.
>>
I really hope rock and jazz organ sounds get folded back into the mix of popular music. they sound fucking gr8 and digital versions of these instruments are skyrocketing in popularity
>>
>>61283432
Because it's not, it's just a dumb label.
>>
>>61282986
You have my interest, go on?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.