[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We are music critics now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 14
File: Guardian-pop-critic-Alexi-007.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Guardian-pop-critic-Alexi-007.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
Post an album and make a review
>>
File: ITAOTS.png (662 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ITAOTS.png
662 KB, 500x500
good shit
>>
>>61281903
/mu/ in a nutshell
>>
File: Troutmask_COVER600px.jpg (373 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Troutmask_COVER600px.jpg
373 KB, 600x600
This is true art.
>>
File: 7oHZcCw.jpg (48 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
7oHZcCw.jpg
48 KB, 450x450
strong 9 - 10
>>
File: 1447188311930.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1447188311930.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
black
>>
The fact that so many people still name Future as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rapper of his time only tells you how far hip-hop still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Hip-hop critics are still blinded by commercial success. DS2 sold a great deal, therefore Future must be the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rap critics are often totally ignorant of the hip-hop music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that Future did anything worthy of being saved.

i wrote this myself, a great deal of thought and analysis went into this review, please don't steal it
>>
>>61281662
who're some honest-to-god great music reviews that devoid buzzwords and all that?
>>
File: 1361182016_is_this_it[1].jpg (136 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1361182016_is_this_it[1].jpg
136 KB, 1000x1000
eh..mite as well try

"By the time the band showed up at Gordon Raphael's Transporterraum studio in the East Village in October 2000, pessimism had set in. "Julian let me know up front that they never had good luck with recording and didn't like the process," says Raphael. "I asked if he had any special requests and he said, 'Yeah, make it sound like nothing that's going on right now.' Everyone was using Pro Tools and digital technology, tripling the snare drum and adding samples to make things 25 stories tall. So I thought: 'What could be the opposite of that? How about I record the band playing together in one room?'"

This album was the long-awaited catalyst of it's time, reviving a genre (garage rock) that was struggling for identity for years, a genre that was close to being handed over exclusively to high schoolers. Then you have these slimy 20-something trust fund kids who want so badly to stand out, led by a sleazy frontman who chain smokes cigarettes and is never satisfied with himself or the music he makes. These kids shit out a fantastic, stripped down rock album on their first try that perfectly captured the magical anxiety of being a loner in a big city. The lyrics hit hard, the chain smoking pays off big time (vocally), the guitar work is decidedly not groundbreaking but they use simple riffs more effectively than any other band I've seen. It's off RoF but a great example as the albums are similar: Reptilia is so simple (good 1st guitar song) but sounds catchy and fresh.

That's basically the origin story of Is This It. They took the reins when nobody else could and debuted with one of the most flawless albums of all time. Is This It holds so much for the average 20-something male. Just listen to Hard To Explain and see if you can't relate it to your own relationships in your early 20's.

"I say the right things but act the wrong way."

"I like it right here, but I cannot stay"

"Says he can't decide
I shake my head to say
Everything's just great"
>>
File: KendrickGKMC.jpg (12 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
KendrickGKMC.jpg
12 KB, 220x220
yeah, it's pretty good
>>
>>61281903
Eat shit FAGGOT
>>
File: To Those of Earth & Other Worlds.jpg (427 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
To Those of Earth & Other Worlds.jpg
427 KB, 1200x1200
If you've ever wanted to know who, in a nutshell, is the most underrated musician to have ever pressed a record, here's your answer. Sun Ra was as in command of his styles as he was of his many orchestras - each of them sublime in its own way. Here is a selection curated by Giles Peterson of Sun Ra's greatest works. 9/10
>>
File: IMG_20140710_230732617~2.jpg (740 KB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140710_230732617~2.jpg
740 KB, 4320x2432
can anyone make a review of the ep?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_Tt2GcWXM

i have the full album if you are interested in reviewing that.
>>
>>61284836
It sounds good and interesting. However, the drumming holds everything back. The recording quality would not be an issue of the drumming were not so sloppy.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 319x317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 319x317
I had never even seen a shooting star before 10/10
>>
File: l7jaFvP.jpg (137 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
l7jaFvP.jpg
137 KB, 1400x1400
It's shit.
>>
File: Followthereaper.jpg (60 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
Followthereaper.jpg
60 KB, 500x496
Keyboards, more like keybores, good album though, lot's of FUN for KIDS and adults too. kind of like a movie like Tomorrowland which really wasn't nearly as bad as Rotten Tomatoes made it seem to be bad and NO THIS IS NOT A AD FOR ROTTEN TOMATOES, this is merely a piece (not "peice") of structural or maybe post-destruction critique of modern worlds and modern communication data that are perhaps.
>>
>>61284836
It sounds like the jazzy/soul brother of the Flaming Lips' Embryonic.
>>
File: CD10.jpg (569 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
CD10.jpg
569 KB, 1200x1200
This album gets a lot of hate that is completely unjustified. In a world of bland and uninspiring music, it is a gasp of fresh air to have an album that is not afraid to go against the grain. Everything from the can snare to the "death style" of the lyrics scream originality and creativity. James Hetfield's vocals sound better than ever, and the guitar work, despite a lack of solos, is on par with any Metallica release. The lack of solos again shows one more way metallica is not afraid to brake from the pack. People looking to move forward musically often try to make the music even more complex, it takes a true genius to look past that and relies that sometimes less is more. By removing the solos metallica is following in the path of Brian Eno and Philip Glass in moving towards a more simplistic approach to music. This was bound to attract hate from traditionalist metal fans, but the forward thinking and open minded fans would be able to look past this and see its genius. The only real problem this album has is that it might have been too forward thinking. The largely negative response to this album is evidence of this. St. Anger maybe a popular subject of criticism today, but in the future it will be hailed as the master piece it is. I hope that next time you listen to this album you too can put aside your preconceived notions of what a metal album should be. You will be presently surprised when you find that, behind all that bias and negative feelings, there is a masterpiece in every definition of the word.

10/10
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.