[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT ask a young, aspiring jazz guitarist anything pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: sa-500_1.jpg (73 KB, 600x603) Image search: [Google]
sa-500_1.jpg
73 KB, 600x603
ITT ask a young, aspiring jazz guitarist anything

pic related, my guitar
>>
what colour socks are you wearing?
>>
why do you think you're aspiring?
>>
Are you a lawyer
>>
>>61281586
dark blue at this moment

>>61281588
i practice at least 2 hours a day, play in a jazz quintet with my friends, frequently go to jam sessions, have been taking lessons for a few years, now i practice on my own
>>
What was your favorite jazz album of 2015.

Nice guitar btw,
>>
why do you waste time on obsolete music
>>
>>61281634
The Epic

All true jazzheads I know it LOVE IT
>>
>>61281559
favorite Standards? One blues, one latin and one traditional or whatever

Favorite amp?

Favorite Study Material?

How long have you been playing?

Best group format? I fucking hate pianists, trio masterrace.
>>
Do you own a Real Book?
What's your favorite jazz standards post-1950's
>>
>>61281626
nope
>>61281634
Tear The Roof Off by Schmidt Electric Group
>>61281667
that's not me
>>61281671
blues - Billies Bounce (classic)
latin - One Note Samba probably
traditional - There will never be another you was my lately fav
>>61281674
i dont a physical one, i have no money to afford it, i download them
>>
>>61281559
What sort of stuff do you plan on making?
>>
>>61281559
VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:

who is your favorite k-on character?
>>
>>61281753
modern, majorly arranged jazz with long, parallel solist lines, something around Aaron Parks's, Kurt Rosenwinkel's and RafaƂ Sarnecki's music
>>
>>61281818
azusa
>>
>>61281818
what's k-on?
>>
>>61281633
Where do you go to jam? I want to get playing with people but I don't know how to go about it, any advice?
>>
>>61281671
also, favorite amp - Fender Twin Reverb i guess
ive been playing classical guitar for 8 years, now i play jazz on electric for 2 years
i like playing with metronome, i practice arpeggios over changes, phrasing and time by soloing only over metronome
i have most experience playing in quartet, with drums, double bass and a sax, so i'd pick quartet as my fav
>>
>>61281559
Can you post one/some of your recordings?
have you heard of Derek Bailey? if so, what do you think about him?
>>
>>61281926
search for any jams in your neighbourhood by the internet, ask some friends if they know something about it, i was invited to my 1st jam by my former guitar teacher. and, the most important, be a nice guy, dont be a dick, getting into musical society is mainly about being a cool person
>>
>>61282027
i've only heard that he played some fucked up shit, my friend doesnt like him, i've never heard his music. i dont have anything recorded to show, i just practice with my friends
>>
>>61281818
mio (i'm not a fag)
>>
>>61281559
I'd like to play jazz as well,but I have no clue where to start. Do you have any practise routine/tips/anything useful for beginning jazz player?
>>
>>61282032
mmm , people torment me for sport where I live, it's not going to happen in my town.... *pfff* I dunno,

I need to go to London or somewhere big, but like, do I need to know loads of things of by heart or will I be crashing someone elses scene?

this is me

https://youtu.be/ddtagHyJYt0

https://youtu.be/7g4C0K9LTJ8

start the top one 4 seconds ahead, or the idea is you can experiment with where they sync the best
>>
>>61282027
Fuck Derek Bailey, total hack
>>
>>61282101
stop telling yourself you have no clue about where to start and start
>>
>>61282101
not OPisafag, but I came up with this

Major scale, Diatonic 7 chords of
relative Natural Minor scale, Diatonic chords of
basic fake book chord progressions
Chord extensions and inversions
Maj 7, Min 7 , Dom 7 , Min7b5 arpeggios
Sight reading
Harmonic minor, diatonic chords of , secondary dominant chord theory
Melodic Minor, diatonic chords of, & m(maj)7, maj7#5 arpeggios, non functioning dominant 7 theory, (up a forth, up a half step, up a fifth)
Harmonic resolution & cadence
Chord substition and function
Turn arounds / Modal interchange / Modulation
Slash chords
Harmonisation
Pedal points (dunno)
Half step connection
Blues scale (leave it out, melodic covers it )
Pentatonic (minor and major soloing)
Then fun stuff like arps of b9#5 chords and things, find some great stuff there
Coda look good smoking an Embassy
>>
>>61282101
get to know basic music theory, learn intervals, chords, learn to read notes. when you are done with that, learn scales, basic chord progressions and rhythm patterns. and, the most important thing is to listen a lot of jazz, analise them and learn from them
>>
>>61282130
the most important thing is to get along with the band, you dont have to play anything complicated, just be a small part of something good, even if you just play one, right note. try to get to know basic chord progressions like 12 bar blues, and just get on stage when you feel like it. dont play anything over your abilities tho, you will make a fool of yourself
>>
File: ok.gif (1 MB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
1 MB, 300x169
>>61282152
>>61282174
Thanks guys,this should work
>>
>>61282152
that's the range of knowledge requied to be a pretty good jazzman, it would be great to understand everything you wrote immediately, but learning music takes time. learning ionian modes and their chords is enough for the beggining
>>
>>61281926
not OP but if you're in some colleges or high schools contemp ensemble is great
>>
>>61282286
It's what I've worked through, with a few things there still to look at.

Once you've got major, natural , harmonic and melodic minor and arps of maj7/min7/dom7/-7b5 and the diatonic chords...I'd say a player is nearly "there" and can go off exploring.

I've spent so long on my melodic minor I don't remember my major scale shapes anymore, which is disgraceful. I have to say the scale in my head while I play to get my modes.
I dunno, I just don't know what to do
>>
>>61282359
what do you mean by "natural" ?
>>
>>61282359
relative natural minor,
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.