[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A Guide to Alternative Country
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: altcountry.jpg (438 KB, 838x557) Image search: [Google]
altcountry.jpg
438 KB, 838x557
So once in awhile I see a thread that asks if there's any good country music out there.

I'd like to help by showing you some
alt-country albums that I enjoy.

Alt-country includes americana, as well musicians that combine country with elements of indie rock, gothic rock, or slowcore into their music.

This chart has four different styles of alt-country.

Row one is the bands that were innovators of the genre. If you want to exclude 60's artists like Townes Van Danzt, Uncle Tupelo's No Depression really started alt-country in 1990.

Row two are gothic country albums, which combines country music with gothic rock to create music that can have energy while being dark and depressive.

Row three are some singer-songwriters. People like Jason Molina and Will Oldham are busy bees with lots of projects and collaborations worth checking out.

For row four, I wanted to put some recent alt-country releases, all within the last five years. All of these albums are emotionally touching, and musically expand the genre into different directions

If you have any suggestions for this chart I'd love to hear them.
I chose to leave out Uncle Tupelo side projects like Wilco and Son Volt, as well Ryan Adams of Whiskeytown's solo stuff, but they're all worth checking out too.
>>
I know there's some meme about Swans being country because of Michael Gira's hat, but I think My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope To the Sky could be considered alt-country
>>
>>61276382
Some people consider the Angels of Light to be gothic country, which is a Swans side project. "How I Loved You" is a great album imo.
>>
>>61276364
even though there's a 16HP album, i'd consider adding a Wovenhand album to the second row - they're different enough
i'd also include a SMOKE album, maybe in the singer-songwriter row
and maybe Lambchop - How I Quit Smoking for the first row
>>
>Uncle Tupelo really started alt-country
>Cowboy Junkies, The Mekons, Giant Sand, Lucinda Williams (who is even on the chart), The Walkabouts, and Steve Earle somehow didn't release anything during the 80s.
shit chart to be honest family
>>
>>61276364
dis a good chart, you should consider adding more albums and including the explanations directly on the chart
>>
File: 1450675783442.jpg (515 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1450675783442.jpg
515 KB, 1500x1500
>>61276364
Add this
>>
check out Okkervil River
>>
>>61276364
Where the fuck is Hank Williams lll on your list?
>>
>>61276470
Take that back.
>>
>>61276470
I think that is more traditional country music, but he's definitely talented!

>>61276442
Unfortunately an electric guitar doesn't make a pop country album alt-country

>>61276431
i will work on a better version definitely
it was nice to get some ideas to add to the chart first

>>61276425
thank you for sharing your knowledge!

>>61276422
smoke is definitely worth adding
In a full version i'll be sure to add significant side projects and bands of similar lineups
Not familiar with lambchop, will check out!

There's also psychobilly, but I'm not terribly informed on the genre.
If anyone knows some good psychobilly albums, feel free to share.
>>
Jim White
Corb Lund
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy/Bill Callahan(if they count)
>>
rifl good job putting basically no country music on the chart
>>
>>61276364
>no Mekons - Fear and Whiskey
Shit list. Kill yourself.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.