[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to Vinyl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: download-2.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download-2.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
Just picked up this at my local shop and I'm now looking to start up a record collection. Recs?
>>
Buy music you like
>>
whatever you like anon
>>
Bring a parent or grandparent to a record shop, let them loose and buy what they bring back
>>
Black Metal
>>
File: MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg (33 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg
33 KB, 400x400
>>61269639
>>
Ween - The Mollusk
>>
>>61269639
>Just picked up this at my local shop
I think you spelt "My mommy bought me this for Christmas." wrong.
>>
>>61269783
Who cares? We are here to talk about music, not who can act the most autistic.
>>
File: 1450132087075.jpg (52 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1450132087075.jpg
52 KB, 680x680
>>61269783
>>
>>61269639
What I would recommend is going on discogs and start browsing and creating a want list. If I go to a record store without what I want in mind, I leave with all kinds of shit and forget what I want. Also, lots of people comment on the quality of pressings, so that's helpful.

Also, buy what you like. I don't even know what you're interested in, so I don't know where to start.
>>
>>61269707
this
>>
>>61269639

That's purty. Brand/model?
>>
>>61269639

I branched into vinyl about a year and a half ago when I got a vintage Technics turntable. I just have a few tips/comments from what I've learned so far:

I wouldn't recommend getting a bunch of vinyl versions of records you already have on CD or MP3 or flac or whatever. I have a decent system, and I notice very little difference.

I focus on older records at fair prices from used record stores, and thrift stores. I enjoy playing music over a medium that has been enjoyed by many people over the years. The fun part for me is finding old records in excellent condition. For me it somehow brings me closer to the music to play it the way it was released back in the 70s, 80s, or 60s.

Also, if you don't know already, most new records you buy will come with an online download code for a 320kbps MP3 version. Factor that in to your purchase. In some cases, you aren't really paying that much extra for having sexy vinyl.

I also don't buy new stuff on vinyl unless the artist/producer/whatever is known for putting out quality mastered vinyl. Otherwise it's probably the same shitty master that the mp3 has.

Of course, sound quality is only as good as the weakest link in the system, so remember to have a good set of speakers and amp too.

My collection (still pretty small) includes artists that I like that aren't crazy popular. Crazy popular records are crazy expensive. I'm not into paying $30 for a Neil Young record when I already have a great FLAC version.

Just go to a bunch of thrift stores and record stores and get cheap ones that you like or might like. Then play the crap out of them. That's my advice.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.