[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like this might be sufjan's best work and a strong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
I feel like this might be sufjan's best work and a strong contender for album of the year.
>>
>AOTY

that's tpab
>>
It's a shadow of Michigan.
>>
>>61266724

I liked this, what are his other good albums?
>>
>>61267617
Age of Adz is my second favourite but is very different from carrie and lowell and Illinois is his best sold album.
>>
>>61267633

thank you
>>
it's actually won /mu/ AOTY tournament
i dont know why this album is so underrated around here, almost no one talking about this
10/10 album
>>
>>61269023
because we all remember his first albums
>>
I don't know how anyone could think this is Sufjan's best. It's pretty damn monotone and doesn't include anything interesting like Illinois and Age of Adz do. It's not a bad album by any means but it's nothing more than a singer songwriter with a guitar that has been done thousands of times before. I'm sure it helped with his emotional state to make it but it's nowhere near his best album.
>>
>>61266724
I honestly feel like Illinois or Age of Adz would be better representative of Sufjan's technical skill as a musician and as a songwriter. I love Sufjan but didn't enjoy this release very much; it'
s kind of flimsy and insubstantial musically, and I think much of the praise for it lies in the 'genuineness' of the subject matter and Sufjan's connection to it rather than the actual quality of the work.
>>
sufjan is literally the best musician of 00's and 10's
prove me wrong
>>
>>61269077
>>61269064
It's not necessarily my favorite of Sufjan's, but I understand how people can regard it as his best work. In terms of the album format, Sufjan has released some really interesting stuff with some really killer tracks, but I think it's hard to argue that they're not pretty uneven. C&L is very consistent, and it's a restrained Sufjan that we haven't really seen before. It's not just generic singer/songwriter stuff either, it's an interesting combination of his melodic sense and a more stripped-down format. There are very few, if any, weak tracks on the album, and the album deals with loss better than almost any other I can think of.
>>
>>61269106
>prove me wrong
prove you are right
>>
>>61266724
>>61269023
>>61269106
carrie and lowell is unbearably mediocre sad white guy with guitar cliche

the only reason people care about the record is that it's Sufjan saying it which is incredibly fucking shallow
>>
>>61269189
>>61269280
fuck off cucks
>>
>>61269349
that's all you can come up with is a tired meme
embarrassing
>>
>>61266724
Pretty boring desu but not the most boring thing hes released
>>
>>61269166
IMHO Sufjan's greatest strength as a musician is his ability to embellish that singer-songwriter sound incredibly well, which is what we saw on Illinois. I would also say most of what I've heard from him isn't really uneven, including Michigan, Swans and Age of Adz, but I think Illinois has a couple of slow parts.

The melodies and stuff that he comes up with aren't terribly interesting in their own right; it's how they're arranged and mixed with others that makes his music so unique, at least in my mind. For that reason I didn't really enjoy C&L, and I actually didn't really like Michigan either for that matter.
>>
>>61269441
Siamese Dream was the only god tier album Kurt ever wrote
>>
>>61269453
Illinoise is my favorite album to "100%" Just put it on, and listen. All the way through. My idea of a perfect album. I can't find anything wrong with it.
>>
Michigan is his best work by far.

And it is a great album
>>
>>61267617
Michigan, Illinoise
>>
>>61266724
I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but it's a gorgeous album. Some really slow parts, but as a whole I found it breathtaking.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.