[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New DJ Shadow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: Theoutsider_djshadow.jpg (19 KB, 280x251) Image search: [Google]
Theoutsider_djshadow.jpg
19 KB, 280x251
Any of you guys heard the new Dj Shadow track? Thoughts?https://m.soundcloud.com/djshadow/swerve
>>
>>61265056
fucked up the link https://m.soundcloud.com/djshadow/swerve
>>
>>61265056
what the fuck is this shit
>>
>>61265056
If I didn't know this was DJ Shadow I'd expect some pop EDM shit
>>
>>61265056
Everything he did after Endtroducing is so-so but Endtroducing is really something special.It is amongst my top 3 favorite albums ever.It's just that good
>>
DJ Shadow hasn't been good for a long time, and even Endtroducing hasn't aged that well. If this was anyone else nobody would not like it.
>>
>>61265524
WTF are you talking about?Endtroducing isn't meant to age it is made with that nostalgic quality in mind that transcends time.
>>
>>61265647

That makes no sense. Just because it isn't meant to age doesn't mean it won't.
>>
>>61265647
>>61265704
you have to understand the popculture tropes Endtroducing... is referencing for this to work. Like you would've had to watch retro cartoons while you were 6 or so if you are under the age of 22
>>
>>61265444
>turntablism
>top 3 album

wew
>>
>>61265747

Nobody here grew up around the same time DJ Shadow did to understand the references anyway. I'm basically saying the beats are played out. Organ Donor is almost cringeworthy
>>
>>61265704
That type of music doesn't age.It is abstract music that is perfect the way it is.Endtroducing wouldn't been possible to be made in this day and age.It could be done then and only then and the result that came about is unique in a sence that it would have been impossible to make it in any other time and that's why it doesn't age.
>>
>>61265901

>doesn't age
>abstract
>Endtroducing wouldn't been possible to be made in this day and age

Hahaha holy shit. Sorry mate, I actually like the album, but you're wrong.
>>
>>61265798
Music is all about sound in my book.Storytelling is for movies and books,not for music.
>>
>>61265798
>Endtroducing...
>turntablism

It was made with a sampler.
>>
>>61265977

What are you rambling about?
>>
>>61265935
Pretty much everything i said is true,it's not my fault you're limited.
>>
DJ Shadows is such a painstakingly average producer it actually hurts that he still produces shitty tracks, he had one good album though. I also heard he owns so much vinyl that that shit goes into crates in storage spaces.
>>
>>61266055

>abstract
It's not abstract. It follows pretty much every hip-hop norm, didn't introduce anything unique and is very straight-forward.

>doesn't age
That's just your opinion, and mine too that it does. You're blinded by nostalgia googles, I feel like it's simply the kind of production that is not timeless.

>Endtroducing wouldn't be possible to be made in this day and age
Are you talking about the production, the themes, its message.. ? Because all of these things can be (and have been) done again. Thousands of times. It's just a really odd statement.

It's no use arguing because you obviously just really like this album, but trying to state a fact that it is abstract / timeless is just an opinion basically. I still like it though.
>>
>>61266055

How is that limited? You don't seem open to discussing this album because you like it too much which is limited in itself. Calling Endtroducing 'abstract' is limited as fuck.
>>
File: 1446515746389.jpg (21 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1446515746389.jpg
21 KB, 460x276
>>61265834
>organ doner is almost cringeworthy
>>
>>61266209

>organ sample (with almost nothing done to it) with a basic drum beat over it
>>
>>61266184
>It follows pretty much every hip-hop norm
loooooong tracks?
>>
>>61266275

Wow, stretch a really simple beat out another couple of minutes, add some double-time, revolutionary!
>>
>>61266222
>with almost nothing done to it
This kind of stupid is rare to find.
>>
>>61266325

Tell me in detail what he did to it that was so amazing, except for take the notes and make a new melody with it.
>>
>>61266325
Dude...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2uNBZLn02Q
>>
>>61266184
>>61266206
Motherfuckers have you even heard the album?I agree that it has some strong hip-hop influences but it also has some strong abstract influences as well.Closing coda of Changeling has nothing to do with hip-hop neither does second half of Stem-Long Stem and not to mention The Transmissions.The album IS NOT completely abstract but it has some very strong abstract influences.
>>
>>61266349
That IS doing something with the sample you fucking mong.

>>61266373
Ah yes the idiot who hasn't even listened to the song he's talking about tries to talk shit, go fuck yourself moron.
>>
>>61266184
And it's not the opinion,it's the truth.Your refusal to acknowlege it is your choice.
>>
>>61266413

Haha you're so angry. I just asked what he did to it that was so amazing. Using one note is like hip hop production 101 for kids. I just said he didn't do much with it, which is true.
>>
>>61266451
>>61266413
>>61266387

I'm leaving this thread because the kind of people that like DJ Shadow are usually stuck in their ways. I thought he was revolutionary for so long too, I did. But eventually you realise he is a really safe and limited producer, even for his time.

It's a neat listen, but there is so much more out there and the Endtroducing / Since I Left You die-hard fanbase are constantly shielding their eyes from albums that do it so much better.

Taking a note from something and writing a melody with it is literally one of the first things you think of doing when you open up a sampler, too. It's the safest use of sampling in mainstream hip hop production in the last few decades.
>>
>>61266451

I guess every piece of music is timeless to you, then.
>>
Lordmaster DJ SK is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSeNQ5eWvH8
>>
>>61266413

Broaden your horizons hombre
>>
>>61266536
>safe
>literally the first album ever to be composed entirely out of samples (except for some spoken word)
pick one
>>
>>61266557
You ever seen Schindler's List?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.