[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9
File: 1447930869176.png (74 KB, 184x166) Image search: [Google]
1447930869176.png
74 KB, 184x166
Merry Christmas edition

Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

Learn that Image-Line is going to bring back graph editors eventually, and that you should just buy whatever you fucking want to buy though

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
Noob question here
>make beat in fl studio
>add in my usb mic in asio thing
>try to record over playlist
>Beat does a weird double/echo thing
>help pls
>>
>>61263969
are you saying you're experiencing feedback? be more specific

https://clyp.it/ivkhhd1b
/prod/ i'm starting to notice my song-writing skills are bad. Any advice?
>>
>>61264021
I think so, I'll make a simple beat with only a kick on each quarter and when i hit record it'll sound like an echoey doubled version of the beat. I have separate mixer channels for my mic and the beat pattern too.
>>
>>61264021
>>61264057
fixed it, my fl studio was recording the score twice for some reason
>>
ive been producing for about 2 years using fl, an akai mpk mini, and a shitty usb mic. i want to get some hardware that will help me make better music or at least make it more fun to make. i make mostly traditional hip hop beats, chillwave/synthwave, trap, and chiptune. im not very familiar with this stuff, what would you recommend i look into? something under 200$
>>
>>61264302
I havent used it, but the recurring meme is some kind of focusrite product and a shure mic
>>
there were people in the last thread who wanted to hear my anti-404 speech and the thread died before i came back to reply so here goes

i traded my microsampler for a 404 (side note, i was able to get a microsampler for christmas this year so now i'm pretty happy). and iended up really not liking the 404 as a sampler for a few of its limitations.
you can't resample more than 4 samples at a time (2 if they're stereo and not mono), you can only resample playing in real time instead of the patterns you record, you can sample at a specified tempo but not resample at a specified tempo, the tempo only displays whole numbers even though there are invisible fractions of a bpm if your sample wasn't at a specified bpm or dead on the loop point (meaning loops can go out of sync), the sample start and end knobs take off less than a second from the sample (to remove more you have to re-enter the start/endpoint menu and re-nudge the knob and keep repeating those steps or hit the marker button when the sample is playing in real time), no sampling across multiple pads or dividing existing sample over multiple pads, i also just dont really like the sound of the pitch shifting and time stretching
>>
>get some time off for Christmas holiday
>look forward to making some music
>have to go out to a staff party
>random friends I've not seen for about a year return to town to see family and want you to go out for Christmas drinks and catch up
No time to prod, god help me
>>
Hey /prod/ I remember some guys months ago (or now, if they still lurk) did a ton of field recordings out in the woods and such? I think it was lemon mic guy and maybe another dude or two, but I was wondering if anyone had any decent recourses or tips on how to take a proper field recording?

I have done some field recordings with my shitty H1 and they are alright but it really ends up just being me and pointing it at whatever I want to record with no monitoring at all and just watching to see that what I record doesn't clip. Would it be wise to invest in a windscreen if I wanted to record the sounds of the beach and the wind or anywhere like that? Also what are those Elizabethan collar like things they put around microphones?
>>
>>61264302
Can you give us more info? What are you lacking now that you want to have? Is it a workflow issue/problem with FL? Do you want more software plugins to be able to do more than FL is capable of by itself? Do you need more MIDI controls, like knobs and faders? Would you prefer a piece of hardware that isn't just for controlling MIDI, such as a sampler or a synth? Is the quality of the audio you record with your mic a problem for you?

$200 isn't a great amount in the world of audio but it's enough that you can probably address most issues that you might be having.
>>
>>61264416
Thanks from the other thread. I wonder how such a clunky thing became so popular. I guess it's kind of old at this point so maybe it was better in the past relative to what else was available, can't see myself adopting that kind of shitty workflow now though having used VST samplers.
>>
>>61266362
it's got good effects that you can switch between easily which makes it good for performing which is probably part of why so many people use them, but it is infinitely shittier than vst samplers and most newer hardware samplers
>>
https://clyp.it/3wlwdjor

should I release this tonight familia
>>
File: Capture1.jpg (26 KB, 523x573) Image search: [Google]
Capture1.jpg
26 KB, 523x573
Can someone identify this mixer?
>>
>>61267212
found it, it's a mackie onyx 1640
autechre used the same one
>>
what is the secret to spacey sine leads
>>
made some generic ass asian trap, where do i go from here?
https://clyp.it/cs3tmkig
>>
>>61268291
get McRide to rap over it
>>
File: TIP TRAP BACK JUMPIN.jpg (73 KB, 638x322) Image search: [Google]
TIP TRAP BACK JUMPIN.jpg
73 KB, 638x322
https://clyp.it/ie2hago5
trying to make a dirty south type beat how's my shit sound?
>>
File: dbx 266xa comprssor gate.png (69 KB, 598x85) Image search: [Google]
dbx 266xa comprssor gate.png
69 KB, 598x85
What do I need to know to produce with external racks?
What equipment is essential to start?
>>
File: nigga_pls.gif (703 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
nigga_pls.gif
703 KB, 500x377
>>61268291
make it less generic?
>change the snare to something not horrible
>change the lead to something less like the exorcist bells...
>>
i can't get out of the dredge of shit loops...

https://clyp.it/xuirpqbr
>>
https://soundcloud.com/eddy-abboud/artist-eddyabboud-remix-1

this is my first remix, hope you enjoy. Like, comment and share if you do :)

Merry christmas
>>
What is your /prod/-related guilty pleasure?

For me, it's rapping. My flow is shit and I am sick as a dog right now, but goddamn I have fun rapping stupid lyrics over a beat I've made.

Like, I just get stupid ideas and roll with them. Earlier I did a song where one entire verse was about me and Kevin Spacey being best friends. We robbed gas stations, acted out movies, and he tucked me in at night.

Retarded, I know, but I got a kick out of it.

So what are you guys' guilty pleasures? Whether it's a genre or some element of music that is cheesy as fuck, but you love it.
>>
>>61269882
>https://clyp.it/xuirpqbr
Maybe try to find the high frequencies of each instrument and notch them out of the other? Or side chain the main melody to the lower harmony?

>>61270047
read the first post. use clyp.it or gtfo, this isn't a soundcloud thread
>>
>>61269385
You really just kind of need to understand signal chains and then build your setup from there. Think about where the signal is starting and where you want it to go. Is it starting in a DAW and going out from there? Is it starting with analog signals, going through your racks, and then being recorded into a DAW?

Hopefully if you have more specific questions I can try to answer some of them. As far as what's essential, that really depends on how you want to do it, the only real guarantee is that you'll need a bunch of cables, and a sturdy rack to mount your hardware in.
>>
>>61269882
The sound itself is cool, keep it up with whatever sound design you're doing. As far as turning that into a real song, your best bet is to really just critically listen to music and take notes about it so you have ideas about where to go.

Write down things like:
>synth is main focus of song
>bassline is simple and repeating
>drums are [syncopated/straight]
>transitions are done with [drum fills/noise sweeps/silence]
>chords change every [half bar/bar/2 bars]
>sidechain kick to pad

etc etc. There's a million things you can take note of, from timbre to form to rhythm to key signature. Then, when you go into a production with a list of elements like this, you spend less time sitting there thinking about where to go next and more time actually doing something.

Not sure what styles of music you like but you'll find that in most music, there's just a handful of parts that you focus on and the rest is kind of background elements to flesh out the song.

Hope that helps a bit
>>
>>61270340
The signals would be starting in a DAW (BitWig) and would be routed back to it in the end...if that makes sense? I don't have any midi ports at the moment (using a laptop) so would I need a mixer to tie everything together?
>literally no experience with physical production equipment (aside from usb midi keyboards)
>>
>>61270546
Yeah that makes sense. You don't necessarily need an external mixer, you can do the mixing back inside BitWig. What you need is something to get the signal out of BitWig and then back in later, and that's what an audio interface is gonna be for.

Basically, when your tracks are inside BitWig, they're digital information (just 1s and 0s) and to be able to hear that as music you need to translate that binary data into an electrical signal. This is where you need a digital-to-analog (D/A) converter. Likewise, when the signal ultimately goes back into BitWig, you need an analog-to-digital (A/D) converter. What you're gonna need is an audio interface, which contains converters going in both directions.

Are you using Mac or PC, and do you know how many audio signals are you gonna be trying to process at once?
>>
I often use my midi controller and also hardware to tweak around live in Logic in an improvised manner. Is there anyway to actually record the audio output considering I am already in Logic and using the loop function.
>>
File: focusrite-scarlett-2i2_1.jpg (40 KB, 500x287) Image search: [Google]
focusrite-scarlett-2i2_1.jpg
40 KB, 500x287
>>61270546
>>61270669
Pic related is one of the popular entry level interfaces, Scarlett 2i2 by Focusrite. 2i2 signifies that it has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. Essentially, you would run the signal through the outputs on the back, going to whatever external gear you want to run it through, and then have that come back into the input on the front. It connects via USB to your computer so its PC and Mac friendly, but of course you're limited to processing at most 2 signals at a time this way.
>>
>>61270669
>>61270736
I use a PC. As of right now I just to plan to externally process like no more than 2 signals, just to start. Mainly looking to just mess around with mastering and bass processing.

And that Scarlett seems perfect!! Would it be worth it to buy used? And would it be worth it just to spend the extra cash for a 2i4?
Thanks for the help btw
>>
>>61271037
2i4 might be worth it, it's up to you really. Keep in mind that you need to use 2 inputs/outputs to process a stereo signal, so if you're running something through as stereo that ties up all your ins/outs already on the 2i2.
>>
>>61270700

1. Set the output on the MIDI track to an empty bus (we'll say Bus 5 for example).
2. On the audio track you want to record into, set the input to Bus 5.
3. Record arm the audio track, and if you're gonna be playing the MIDI part live (as opposed to having already drawn in midi notes), arm the MIDI track too.
4. Press record and go for it
>>
You guys probably get this all the time, but where can I find some free sample packs? Particularly ambient/chillwave type stuff.
>>
>run synth through distortion pedal
>tone distortion etc knobs at 0
>sounds like its been run through a narrow filter

why
help
>>
God bless you OP.
>>
File: image.jpg (171 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171 KB, 800x800
How does someone get good, full, dynamic production in a lo fi setting, like this album? I know I dont have the equipment they did but are there any tips on not making it sound like a flat, shallow sack of shit?
>>
File: A More Perfect Onion.png (482 KB, 2212x1126) Image search: [Google]
A More Perfect Onion.png
482 KB, 2212x1126
>>61271715
Not knowing anything about how they recorded that album, my input would be that just because it sounds fuzzy and lo-fi doesn't mean they aren't doing things in the mix phase to make it all gel together nicely, like carving out space with EQ. It's all about making sure that everything has enough space to exist in the mix, while only emphasizing a few key elements (vocal, snare, guitar and bass, and even the guitar ducks out a little bit when he's singing). This record isn't heavy on the low end, which leaves a lot more space to do things in the mids.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.