[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best albums this man has been involved with?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 15
File: spector.jpg (29 KB, 239x367) Image search: [Google]
spector.jpg
29 KB, 239x367
What are the best albums this man has been involved with?
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 720x780) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 720x780
implying most people here even know who Phil Spector is

they're too focused on whatever pitchfork or fantano tells them exists don't waste your time
>>
>>61259859
>feeling superior because you know of phil spector, one of the most well known producers of all time
>>
>>61259859
Favorite Spector song?
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 720x960
>>61259893
I don't feel superior at all idk where you got that buddy
>>
File: image.jpg (280 KB, 1080x1918) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280 KB, 1080x1918
>>61259903
hmm either to know him is to love him or mb da doo ron ron
>>
Killing Joke
>>
>>61259793
>>61259859
None. Phil Spector never made anything great.
>>
>>61259937
>this is what Bitch Boys fans ACTUALLY believe
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 360x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 360x640
>>61259937
>>
>>61259947
>>61259951
Post a single great song by Phil Spector.
I'll let you know what's mediocre about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (249 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
249 KB, 1600x1200
>>61259960
haven't I seen you around here before lol...
>>
>>61259960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXSUwb6dLUw
I gonna hear this
>>
File: 71QujDUQ-4L._SL1000_.jpg (136 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
71QujDUQ-4L._SL1000_.jpg
136 KB, 1000x1000
>>61259793
Pic related and that's pretty much it, aside from his Christmas album if you're into that. He wasn't much of an album dude, but grab the anthology collection and this and you're good to go.
>>
>>61259994
I mean it's a nice song sure, but what's great about this? The harmony isn't special, the band isn't special; it's just pretty good radio fodder.
>>
>>61259914
i wasnt implying that, pal
>>
>>61260018
well that was disappointment

I was expecting a half a page essay on why it sucks
>>
>>61259993
Great job suggesting a song, poser.
>>
>>61260025
yea no shit you straight up said it, and don't call me pal; Guy......
>>
>>61259793
Favorite Song: Wah-Wah (feat. George Harrison)
Favorite Album: Death of a Ladies' Man (feat. Leonard Cohen)
>>
>>61260031
Well it's not a bad song. I'm not saying Phil Spector is bad or anything. I'm just saying he's not that good and most of the greatness came from OTHERS like Brian Wilson taking what he did and making some meaningful, powerful music out of it.
>>
>>61260037
I already did but not to you
the teddy bears - to know him is to love him
r3t4rd
>>
>>61260043
quote me on where i said that exactly; Pal...
>>
>>61260060
Literally the exact same type of song/composition as >>61259994 without strings.
You're only making him look worse.
Why don't you all idolize actually quality producers like Manfred Eicher?
>>
>>61260005
>and that's pretty much it

River Deep–Mountain High
All Things Must Pass
Plastic Ono Band
Imagine
End of the Century
>>
>>61259960
Be My Baby is the greatest pop song ever made and is the reason why Brian Wilson gets called a genius today.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 540x960
>>61260080
listen
dude nigga
listen
come to Brooklyn and drink with me
>>
>>61260101
Harmonies are boring.
Melody is significantly less interesting and creative (less dissonances, less movement) than the previously posted songs.
>>
>>61260081
>people on /mu/ are contrarian enough to believe spector wasn't a quality producer

Just because people took his idea and ran further with it than he did doesn't mean he didn't change the sonics of pop music and underground music alike for decades to come you fuckin' nerd.

>>61260097
All Things Must Pass is the only good album out of those and it's not because of Spector's production. His girl group stuff is what someone should focus on above all else because his production carried those.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 540x540
>>61260081
why don't you eat my hog you fucking gay retard bitch
>>
>>61260121
>>61260126
do you people not know who fucking Manfred Eicher is or something
jesus christ
>>
>>61260119
How to spot someone who doesn't know anything about music theory: the post.

I'm not saying Be My Baby is musically complex or anything but stop trying so fucking hard. Your attempts at meaningful analysis are laughable.

>IT'S BORING!
>IT'S NOT INTERESTING OR CREATIVE!

Like, holy shit man, at least put some effort in.

>>61260135
No shit you idiot, but it's not like there can only be one "quality producer". Why is it so hard to appreciate Phil Spector alongside Eicher, and Eno, and Martin?
>>
File: B.jpg (11 KB, 320x272) Image search: [Google]
B.jpg
11 KB, 320x272
>>61260111
...and let my ass be ravaged whilst asleep and probably rapedrugged
no thx
>>
>>61260156
>How to spot someone who doesn't know anything about music theory: the post.
Maybe you should talk to my professors then, I'm sure they'd teach you a lot you don't know. :)

I don't know what else to say to hammer in that these songs aren't special and don't do anything special.
>Why is it so hard to appreciate Phil Spector alongside Eicher, and Eno, and Martin?
Because Eicher made GREAT Jazz, Eno made GREAT Rock, Martin does NOT make great Pop (he just makes formulaic bullshit), and Spector just made mediocre Rock that OTHERS used to make masterpieces.

Spector himself was not the creator of great works.
>>
>>61260119
It's the production, baby!
>>
>>61260194
>Maybe you should talk to my professors then, I'm sure they'd teach you a lot you don't know. :)

>I took one music theory class in college because my parents covered my white ass and paid for my tuition: the post.

Seriously though, display a semblance of music theory, I literally dare you. Terms like "boring" and "uninteresting" are garbage descriptors used by pseudo-intellectual tryhards who want so badly to be le patricians but don't actually know enough about music to substantiate their opinions.

>Martin does NOT make great Pop (he just makes formulaic bullshit)

Opinion literally disregarded. I can almost accept someone not being into Spector's productions because they haven't aged well and served more as a platform for other artists to jump off of, but if you don't think Martin was an outstanding producer then you're an idiot.
>>
Basic Spector was a Caccini: innovative, important, yet ultimately creator of bland works that followers (Monteverdi) totally outdid.
>>
>>61260097
I noticed you've ranked them in order from best to worst but you're missing dog shit in between the third and fourth selections and literally any other album before the first selection.
>>
>>61260239
See >>61260241
>>
>>61260270
Yeah, rely on someone's more eloquent phrasing of what you've been saying throughout this entire thread. Don't actually do what I asked you to do. Good work, two thumbs up.
>>
File: Capture.png (15 KB, 1122x179) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
15 KB, 1122x179
>>61260297
lol
>>
>>61260194
>(he just makes formulaic bullshit)
The cuts in the tape for Mr Kite! were literally random though. Anti-formulaic. Martin was/is a genius.
>>
>>61260309
Why did you feel the need to make that a separate post?

You've still yet to display any knowledge of music theory. Drawing a comparison with classical composers has nothing to do with music theory, as a reminder.

You are trying oh so hard.
>>
>>61260333
>The cuts in the tape for Mr Kite! were literally random though.
...I don't even like Mr Kite where are you coming from
OH.
George Martin.
Max Martin memeing on /mu/ had me confused.

George is good.
>>
>>61260362
Shit. My bad. I think he was talking George too.
>>
>>61260361
>Why did you feel the need to make that a separate post?
Because I thought of it after making the previous one.
I should have added the quotes but w/e.
>You've still yet to display any knowledge of music theory.
What do you want me to do? Analyze the songs and say "It goes from I to IV to" whatever the fuck? Use random terminology.

Fuck that. That's what Scaruffi does and it's pretentious as fuck (and displays his lack of knowledge).
>>
>>61260005
seconding this album
>>
File: beatles-let-it-be-cover-art.jpg (497 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
beatles-let-it-be-cover-art.jpg
497 KB, 1000x1000
based phil
>>
>Phil Spector
nice meme guys!
>>
>>61260414
I actually like the production on The long and winding road even if it's super cheesy and overproduced
>>
>>61260380
>What do you want me to do?

Substantiate the shit you say?

>Harmonies are boring.

Why?

>Melody is significantly less interesting and creative than previously posting songs

How?

>less dissonances

Why does this matter?

Use your words and your knowledge to justify the empty criticisms you hurled at Be My Baby. Also scaruffi is literally a rock historian, not a trained musician, I don't know why you expect anything out of his attempts at musical analysis.
>>
>>61260431
Harmonies are boring because they're just conventional chord progressions. There are no chromatic or otherwise "colorful" chords to paint the music with.
>How?
I already said: very little motion, very little dissonances. The melody writing is lazy and sticks only to what is comfortable. Compare that to the chromatic descents and appogiaturas in "Don't Talk" by Brian Wilson.
>>
>>61260465
>chromatic chords
not the same guy but care to explain?
>>
>>61260465
>Harmonies are boring because they're just conventional chord progressions. There are no chromatic or otherwise "colorful" chords to paint the music with.

This reads like nonsense. I asked you to talk about the harmonies, not the harmonic structure/chord progression. Do you just not like block harmonies? Do you not find the call and response nature of the chorus even mildly interesting? The swoop upward they do during the second verse to transition from E to F#m7 is just whatever to you?

And why is dissonance required for a melody to be interesting? What makes interesting good? How do you know what was "comfortable" in 1963?

What about the percussion? You don't find the drum fills leading in and out of the chorus, and the various drum fills during the fade to be energetic or fun to follow? There's a shitload more to a song than its harmonic structure and melody.

Of course Brian Wilson's compositions cast a great shadow over Phil Spector's because Phil Spector wasn't an incredibly gifted composer like Wilson, just an above average pop songwriter with an incredible vision for what pop music could sound like who then made his vision come to life.
>>
File: phil_spector_based.jpg (202 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
phil_spector_based.jpg
202 KB, 1200x720
"Goat Farts" or whatever that green Meme Boys album is called.
>>
>>61260414
The naked version is better
>>
>>61260622
>Of course Brian Wilson's compositions cast a great shadow over Phil Spector's because Phil Spector wasn't an incredibly gifted composer like Wilson, just an above average pop songwriter with an incredible vision for what pop music could sound like who then made his vision come to life.
So you're saying Brian Wilson is greater, the same way that Monteverdi is greater than Caccini?
>>61260587
Chords that aren't in the tonal key, that belong to other scales/keys.
>>
>>61260718
>So you're saying Brian Wilson is greater, the same way that Monteverdi is greater than Caccini?

Yes? Who in their right mind would imply that Spector was a better songwriter than Wilson? Even in 1963 Brian was a better songwriting than Phil Spector.
>>
>>61260766
So then you agree with me that Brian Wilson is more important, better than Phil Spector the same way Monteverdi is massively more important than Caccini?
>>
>>61260807
Of course. I still think your view of him as a songwriter and a producer is a little diminishing though.
>>
File: Screenshot (43).png (621 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (43).png
621 KB, 1366x768
>>61260241
>>
File: pass.jpg (36 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
pass.jpg
36 KB, 400x392
He was always a singles guy at heart, but this is his undisputed album masterpiece.
>>
>>61260831
I would never call this a bad song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXSUwb6dLUw
Nor would I call this a bad aria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJimRHC2w8U

But then let's compare them to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofn60wahLlU
And
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioXheXUUhao
>>
>>61260880
I mean, Spector didn't write I Love How You Love Me, but I know where you're getting at.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.