[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pet Sounds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 71nFZNXN5ML._SL1300_.jpg (248 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
71nFZNXN5ML._SL1300_.jpg
248 KB, 1300x1300
Can someone explain how is this album is good?

how is it considered the greatest of all time? its shit.
>>
>falling for the "pet sounds is good" meme
>>
1. Brian Wilson from a young age was a genius with music with a brilliant ear. The melodies and harmonies on Pet Sounds showcase this with complex, chromatic lines that behave more like lied than pop music.
2. The wide assortment of instruments was unprecedented in popular music prior to this time. Note the theremin solo in "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"
3. Overdubbing vocals.

But more importantly the songs are just amazing because Brian Wilson is amazing.
>>
> NEEDING SOMEONE TO TELL YOU WHY YOU SHOULD LIKE SOMETHING

LMAO ENJOY HAVING SHIT TASTE BY VIRTUE OF NOT BEING ABLE TO DEVELOP TASTE ON YOUR OWN F A M
>>
>>61259371
People had theremins before 1966
And no one outside of his cult thinks he is a genius. People with real knowledge like Scaruffi and even Van Dyke Patks himself realize that Brian was just lucky and at the right place and time.
Brian Wilson is just a myth
>>
>>61259418
>People had theremins before 1966
Not in pop music.
I got b8ed by you but hopefully idiots who agree with the b8 will read my post.
>>
>>61259330
>>61259371
This. I think the problem with the Beatles/Beach Boys is that they're so popular and their influence so far reaching, that the original product might not appear as exciting anymore.

I didn't really appreciate the album until I went into a depressive slump though.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-25-11-48-47.png (302 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-25-11-48-47.png
302 KB, 540x960
>>61259425
>not in popular music
>>
>>61259473
>not in popular music
>posts obscure album no one has heard
>>
Can we just agree nothing new was done on this album and it was just an above average album
>>
>>61259418
I hate that people cite Scaruffi. He's somewhat knowledgeable only in the history of music, but he does not understand anything about music theory. He's no better than pitchfork in that respect, he doesn't use any music terminology in his shitty reviews, he just rates things more highly when they sound more innovative to his untrained ear.
>>
>>61259514
Post an album before Pet Sounds that compares to it.
>>
>>61259538
>he doesn't use any music terminology in his shitty reviews
This is technically wrong: he tries to use the terminology but it is often out of place and used recklessly in order to look more "legitimate" as done by, well, Fantano and Pitchfork.
>>
>>61259418
scaruffi is not knowledgeable in any way. he's just a pleb with too much free time.
>>
>>61259409
/thread
>>
>>61259493
Popular Music is a term, not an adjective

>>61259548
This doesn't even make sense. Compares in what way?
I'm sure that regardless of what we'll post, you'll respond saying it's not as good without even listening to it.

>>61259409
>F A M
Stop bypassing the filters.
>>
>>61259538
Well who IS praising them? E
Where is the acclaim for critics?
This album didn't even sell 200 copies
>>
>>61259607
pretty much every magazine and critic gave it a perfect score
>>
>>61259548
Pet Sounds is just an combination of elements of classical, barbershop songs, Phil Spector, and various other things Brian Wilson liked

He's a H A C K
>>
>>61259603
>Compares in what way?
In the package that Pet Sounds offered in melody, harmony, technique, and instrumentation.
I'm sure you'll find one. I'd love to listen to it if you think I haven't heard it.
>>61259642
>It's a combination of disparate things that wasn't done by anyone else before
hmmmm
>>
>>61259603
>Popular Music is a term, not an adjective
I understand your point but you did a horrible job articulating it here. to clear up, popular music is a genre encompassing all commercially sold music. not "popular" as in trendy or sensational. the album you chose was a pretty bad example too. before pet sounds the theremin was featured on an obscure lounge album from the 40's, oh wow, guess it's overplayed!! faggot.
>>
>>61259687
>before pet sounds the theremin was featured on an obscure lounge album from the 40's
Yes but I said
>>61259425
>Not in pop music.

Not POPULAR MUSIC.

Those are two entirely different terms you idiot.
Are you underage?
>>
you're an elitist fedora faggot. that observation is my Christmas gift to you.
>>
It's a pop album, if it's catchy then its good, simple as that
>>
>>61259330
you fool
>>
File: Screenshot (24).png (801 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (24).png
801 KB, 1366x768
>>61259330
>Pet Screams
>Best Album
kek there's no such things as "best" in art you mentally/spiritually deficient buffoons, that is literally an autistic hobby of the west
>>
File: ....jpg (61 KB, 600x765) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
61 KB, 600x765
No one needs to enjoy anything. If you like, okay. If you do not like, that's fine too. It's all a matter of taste.
>>
>>61260289
Thats all of /mu/ if it annoys you that much you shouldn't be here. Ive just told myself everything is a joke on here.
>>
death to all contrarians
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.