[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So a younger acquaintance of mine posted on facebook that they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: CR8005A-BK-B.jpg (185 KB, 2000x1777) Image search: [Google]
CR8005A-BK-B.jpg
185 KB, 2000x1777
So a younger acquaintance of mine posted on facebook that they got a Crosley for Christmas, and they're all excited about it. I wanna tell them that they might end up ruining their records, but I don't wanna make them feel like I'm shitting on their gift, or have 'em go out and spend more money on a record player.

It also doesn't help that we barely know each other. They're the younger sibling of a friend I don't really keep touch with anymore, and the only time we really spoke was when I ran into them at a concert.

Should I tell them?
>>
Just ignore you dingus
>>
>>61255557
they won't listen
I've tried to tell friends this and they usually respond with "its all I can afford"
>>
>>61255557
mate records don't last anyway.

Unless of course this player ruins them in several plays, then that's an issue.

I have nothing but old derelict players, so I assume they will ruin them over time. I usually use records for samples.
>>
>>61255557

i'm listening to badlands on my crosley and there are no scratches your a liar
>>
>>61255557
Wait a while but slowly drop a hint that it would be best to upgrade in short order. Don't shit on their gift but talk up what an upgrade would mean.
>>
>>61255557
the actual dumbshit here is you because it sounds like you might actually be buying records for the sound quality, which is placebo bullshit
>>
>>61255693
you at least want them to last you piece of shit
>>
>>61255693
>it sounds like you might actually be buying records for the sound quality
Trying to make records last is not worshiping the sound quality
>>
>>61255557
Just ignore it. It literally doesn't affect you whatsoever and they'll most likely just be ruining shitty records anyway.
>>
>>61255622
>records don't last anyway
If you treat them well, they do. I have shellac records from the '40s that play as well today as they did when they were first pressed.
>Unless of course this player ruins them in several plays, then that's an issue.
Have you never heard of Crosleys before? They're widely regarded as one of the worst record players- at least on /mu/. There's no counterweight for the needle arm, so it just digs into your records and scratches them up. They're marketed entirely to Hot Topic and Urban Outfitters shoppers who just want to play their overpriced Coldplay records and don't know any better.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNGxDAiTxaQ

this is now a vinyl gore thread
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62z0dfbBh3I
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrG06Le53CE
>>
Not gore but a nice kek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HF4kFmlF5g
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggoYXedrPOY
>>
>>61255693
OP here. This is probably bait but... I don't buy records, to be honest. It's an expensive hobby, and I enjoy being cheap.

However, because it's an expensive hobby, I don't want anyone to ruin their "investments" because of a bad record player.
>>
File: tfwnogf.jpg (65 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
tfwnogf.jpg
65 KB, 300x300
>>61255912
pm them, show them evidence
maybe that could work, Leave it for a good month though, he only just got it
>>
>>61255745
>It literally doesn't affect you whatsoever and they'll most likely just be ruining shitty records anyway.

I know. It just seems like a needless waste of money. I know that it's not my money, but still.
>>
File: le juif.gif (27 KB, 500x415) Image search: [Google]
le juif.gif
27 KB, 500x415
>>61255950
memes
>>
i dont have one of these but if i get one am i good to play a record like one or two times? Might not matter cause i probably wont get one.
>>
>>61256554
I think you're better off spending the same amount of money on a decent vintage player.
>>
>>61255756
>There's no counterweight for the needle arm, so it just digs into your records and scratches them up

The real reason that Crosleys fuck up your records is that they don't have a built in amplifier or preamp so the shitty ceramic cartridge tracks at like four times the usual weight just to make the sound loud enough to be heard at a decent level.
>>
>>61256831
well with christmas and all i might get one whether i want it or not. think ill just keep it and pretend i play it all the time but secretly save up for a better one in like a year or two. Or does it even fucking matter that much? i mean honestly how many times am i going to play the same record? and if i do play it a bunch i could really just go buy another copy seeing as how vinyl isnt going anywhere apparently and we're all going to die anyways right? i dont think in the grand scope of things it really matters.
>>
>>61256912
I think it's better to be honest rather than have relatives waste money on something that you're never going to use.
>>
>>61256957
yeah but i think ill just use it anyways. Its whatever. New vinyls are shit anyways right? Dont worry i wont be playing any original beatles or pink floyd.
>>
>>61256912
Just don't buy any vintage records worth more than $20.
>>
>>61257052
literally the post before you man.
>>61257048
>>
File: IMG_0731.jpg (58 KB, 374x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0731.jpg
58 KB, 374x640
>>61257086
Cheers for pointing that out mate. I'll be sure to click the update button before I post in future.
>>
>>61255574
Check it out!
>>
>>61256910
>no built in pre-amp / amp

I call bullshit. There has to be something in there
>>
>>61257152
It's true!

>With Crosley turntables, you do not need a preamp. No doubt an attractive feature for someone looking for a system on the cheap, but part of the reason a preamp is not needed is because the needle tracks so heavily

http://best-turntables.com/avoid-crosley-turntables/
>>
Really, don't say anything. You barely know the people and it's not your problem that they don't know better. They'll probably listen to some T Swift vinyl a couple of times before getting bored and giving up.
>>
>>61257196
That makes LITERALLY 0 sense. There has to be a preamp in there.
>>
>>61257048
There's still no real reason to use it and deliberately destroy the records just because. Decent turntables can be has I for not much money.
>>
>>61255627
Under rated post
>>
>>61255557
owned one for three years now. never had an issue and I own five other turn tables
This turn table was my first, but I wanted to get a more sturdy one with aluminum or steel case construction.
this turn table is not bad in the slightest and will play all that you need it to.
>>
>wasting money on an outdated medium
>acting superior about it

jokes on you desu senpai
>>
>>61255557
Chances are if they have a crosley then they aren't "REALLY" into vinyl so the only records they could potentially be fucking up would be terrible new ones that he got from urban outfitters or target.

so just ignore it.
>>
>>61255557
Tell them to ask for a LP-120 next year
>>
>>61255557
just let them enjoy it. chances are if they're using a crosley they're probably not spinning very expensive records in the first place. just let them have fun
>>
Would taping a coin or something to the back of the arm would it work as a counterweight?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.