[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There's no reason for any of you to think this isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: GotGH.jpg (49 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
GotGH.jpg
49 KB, 500x496
There's no reason for any of you to think this isn't one of the best albums of the past 15 years.
>>
except that their was no good album that came out the last 15 years
>>
File: Lovely.jpg (43 KB, 246x432) Image search: [Google]
Lovely.jpg
43 KB, 246x432
>>
>>61253764
It is a very good album. Glad we both enjoy it OP
>>
It's a good folk rock album but nothing really revolutionary. Generic suburban angst lyrics meets post neil-young and crazy horse guitars.

It was a good album, even a 7.83/10. but not a groundbreaking masterpiece like Benji was.
>>
>>61253764
There's no reason for any of you to think Purple Pilgrims isn't the best album of the past 15 years.
>>
it was already mediocre when Simon and Garfunkel did it, let alone Kozelkek
>>
>>61253807
Kozelek blows S&G out of the water, sorry bud.
>>61253803
Sometimes it's the least revolutionary things that leave the biggest impact, look at Benji for instance.
>>
>>61253803
>generic suburban angst lyrics
What
>>
>>61253819
doesn't make the album less mediocre.
>>
>>61253856
Are you seriously implying Ghosts is mediocre? This must be bait, listen to Duk Koo Kim and come back buddy. Literally one of the greatest folk rock songs of all time. Not to mention add songs like Salvador Sanchez, Lily and Parrots, and Carry Me Ohio on top of that... Jesus, how could you think Ghosts is mediocre?
>>
>>61253819
Benji was pretty fucking different. The vocal content and delivery style had never really been done before.

>>61253838
"Carry Me Ohio" is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. First world problems suburban bullshit, it could have easily been a Bruce Springsteen song.
>>
Mark is literally the best singer/songwriter of the past 15 years
>>
>>61253877
I've heard the album. There is no reason to care about any "folk" rock released after the early 70s at the latest.
>>
>>61253877
i did, its shit. I hope you know that this isnt even folk rock -_- its indie rock disguised as folk cuz le acoustic guitars lmao xD and den you eat it up like a stupid idiot
>>
>>61253891
>Could have been a Bruce Springsteen song
you say that like it's a bad thing. The Boss is great.
>>
>>61253903
25 years**
>>
Mark Kozalek is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists. Early RHP slowcore, later RHP sad, sparse folk arrangements, into early Sun Kil Moon folk rock, into its current stage of deadpan lyrical delivery. It's all great and while I prefer the emotional qualities of early RHP to anything else I really think Mark has done little wrong. Not to mention his dealings with the media are hilarious.
>>
>>61253936
late RHP sounded like fuckin creed lmao wtf are you on nigga xD
>>
>>61253911
Yeah I like some Bruce but you have to remember that Mark calls out other bands (War On Drugs) for doing the same shit. I would bet anything that he's embarrassed by the early Sun Kil Moon albums. They're campy in a really corny way.
>>
File: homepage_large.363e0f58.jpg (11 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.363e0f58.jpg
11 KB, 319x319
Reminder that this album exists and is actually really good.

Merry Christmas, /mu/.
>>
>>61253891
Carry me Ohio isn't about any first world problems, its an ode to his hometown, how he didn't appreciate it when he was younger(due to his addictions and his innocence and childhood being lost because of it) and how it's changed since he was younger. If you listen to the lyrics the dude is describing the landscape of Ohio, and uses a woman as a metaphor about how he didn't love and appreciate it.
>>
>>61253956
>Taking Mark seriously
there's your first problem.
>>
>>61253922
Indeed

Also Gustavo is literally the best song of the past 25 years
>>
>>61253971
sounds like boring white old man ideals to me. I'd like to listen to kendrick lamar and drake now, thank you.
>>
>>61253970
I've listened to this twice today.
Fucking worth every minute. It's fucking gold. It's funny too because in his White Christmas live LP he jokingly says 'Mark Kozelek sings christmas carols' before singing white christmas.
What a great sense of humor he has. The only artist who rivals Kozelek in terms of humor and sense of self is Father John Misty.
>>
>>61253982
Fucking Gustavo holy shit, the feels. That whole album wrecks me everytime.
>>
>>61253942
Die, Old Ramon and Songs For A Blue Guitar were really solid.
>>
>>61253971
basically

>Wahhhh this bitch in Ohio didn't like me, now I reflect on the hardships of my middle class suburban Ohio lifestyle from my San Francisco loft

It's cornball romanticized shit. Benji was nice because he took all the posturing out of the equation. it was just stories about his redneck family members burning to death. Because at the end of the day that's what Ohio is really about
>>
>>61254043
>Songs for a Blue Guitar
very overlooked album imo. Solid original material, and some great covers. Love the cover of Long Distance Runaround.
>>
>>61254043
still though, old ramon was practically nu metal
>>
>>61254046
Alright then. I didn't know this album offended you this much, maybe you should write an email to Mark
>>
>>61254078
Merry Christmas bro
>>
>>61254124
Happy Hanukkah, Schleb
>>
>>61253987
Even if this is bait this hurt me
>>
>>61254175
it's just the neo-/mu/ don't worry. It will pass... I hope.
>>
>>61253764
Well, if I don't listen to music for lyrics, generally... there are plenty of reasons not to like this album. I don't find it all that engaging musically. RHP is even worse for me, personally.
>>
my reason is that I haven't listened to it and never will
>>
>>61253942
>I don't love Trailways and Smokey because i'm a huge faggot and suck a lot of dick
>>
>>61253764
it is but I prefer April
>>
>>61253891
>First world problems suburban bullshit

Carry Me Ohio is a song for Katy, his dead ex-gf
>>
>>61253764
I love how the guy the last track was about was from the same country as me

that's about it
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.