[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a tone evoke any emotion by itself or only in relation to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: PianoKeys.gif (3 KB, 362x119) Image search: [Google]
PianoKeys.gif
3 KB, 362x119
Can a tone evoke any emotion by itself or only in relation to other tones?
>>
>>61251348
Of course. I relate all sorts of colors to notes, and those colors relate sounds and smells and sights, thus music is a direct relation to many emotions. The more notes, the more emotions.

Want some acid?
>>
>>61251382
I actually had synesthesia as a kid but it disappeared because of some meds I had to start taking

And I'd love some, but hookups are hard to find
>>
>>61251539
When I was a kid, I had this toy piano that had colored notes, it waas more like a xylophone, and I connected the colors to the notes and it stuck with me now that i actually play instruments.
>>
>>61251348
Are you retarded?
>>
>>61251348
Probably not through I'm not sure.
>>
File: Simo 1.png (54 KB, 220x336) Image search: [Google]
Simo 1.png
54 KB, 220x336
>>61251348
>tfw I want to be a G# but I'm just an Ab
>>
>>61251382

Did you, or do you still, see specks of color in your vision? Like looking at a white wall there'd be tiny, almost indiscernible specks of color in your sight?
>>
>>61251348
You get some slight variation with timbre and use of vibrato / bowing / etc, but a single note will never evoke as much emotion as a melody or harmony.
>>
>>61252352
ganzfeld effect, happens to everyone
>>
>>61252429
if you have a very nicely played note against a bad melody it will of course
>>
i would say it's only the intervals, but Bb kind of disproves that considering I love the sound of a well-tuned 466.16 B flat MMMMmm
>>
>>61252507
We're talking about single notes though.

Without adding melody or harmony, you can only evoke so much emotion. If you play the same note over and over for 5 minutes, with no accompaniment, you have to be a pretty skilled composer to make that into a piece with emotional impact.
>>
>>61252666
I dunno, it could quite effectively make the audience feel bored or annoyed. That's not hard at all.
>>
>>61251348
There are ways to play a single note to bring out multiple emotions. Playing it with full sound and delicately would make the note sound beautiful. Playing with harsh articulation and a lot of force would sound aggressive or scary.

These are pretty mild emotional responses, though. Notes by themselves don't do much, it's how you play them and how they work with the other notes that creates the music that gives off strong emotional responses.
>>
>>61252695
I dont know if being bored by a piece counts as "emotional impact" I think its probably the opposite: you fail to connect with the piece so much that you stop paying attention completely.
>>
>>61252715
it's still having an effect on the listener and making them feel something they wouldn't have otherwise felt
>>
>>61252715
i like reading your posts but it is impossible to have a conversation with you which is a shame. but you probably know that.
>>
>>61252731
hah, I've noticed the exact same thing
>>
>>61252729
Surely they'd be more bored without the piece playing? Annoyance could easily count as an emotional response, I dont think boredom qualifies though.

Here's a piece that consists of a lot of single notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HhS06TCsKs

He uses different fingerings to create the same note, but with different timbres. I find this piece very interesting, but others might be bored or annoyed.

The response to a piece is largely individual, but you can easily say a piece has an emotional impact if the majority of people who hear it feel strong emotions. If people say "that was boring" or "that was annoying" I dont think it counts as emotional impact. "unsettling" would be emotional impact, but not "annoying"

>>61252731
This isn't really the best place to have conversations anyhow, text only communicates so much.
>>
>>61252899
>This isn't really the best place to have conversations anyhow, text only communicates so much.
derp
>>
>>61251382
>tfw i only experience synesthesia when i do acid or idiotic amounts of weed
why live?
>>
>>61252032
>>61252429
>>61252899
I meant more, like, does a D played by itself inherently signify a different emotion than a C or an A, not whether a single-note composition can elicit emotion at all.

Sorry, I worded the OP really badly.
>>
>>61253047
in short, no
>>
>>61252666
It should be noted though that if the tone is repeated over a period of time, th composition at least contains an element of rhythm, which can evoke a response.

Also, the response evoked by a sound is not wholly dependent on the musical intervals and the natural emotional tendendancies they invoke, because people also have their own personal associations of sounds with other phenomena which they gain through subjective experience rather than natural predisposition.

We're really operating on the fringes of theory here as well, because any sound we can produce will inevitably contain an element of harmony in its timbre, and because it occurs within time, rhythm as well.
>>
>>61253433
Additionally, since the various overtones, or tones in general for that matter, will not actually be produced at exactly the same time, only at approximately the same time, there is arguably a degree of melody inherent in all musical tones which we can experience in the physical world.
>>
>>61251348
synesthesia has to be one of the worst ways to look at/think about art. like all life's complexity gets better when reduced to tone a = color b.
>>
>>61252715
repeating a tone is a nice way of having nothing to say and saying it.
>>
>>61252446
Oh my god I was thinking that would be the greatest band name ever, but its fucking taken.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.