[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people think this is the best album of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: pet-sounds.jpg (213 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
pet-sounds.jpg
213 KB, 1200x1200
It's not even the best 60s album. I can rattle off about 30 albums from the 60’s alone that are superior to Pet Sounds – every Beatles album with the exception of Yellow Submarine and Please Please Me, most 60’s Dylan releases, about four Rolling Stones albums, classics by Creedence, the Band, the entire Otis Redding catalog, Aretha’s first four Atlantic full lengths, etc. (The absence of most soul records from the top echelon of the lists is endemic of the near-sightedness of most rock critics.)

I know lots of smart people that disagree with me on this one – vehemently. So you take your cred and Pet Sounds; I'm much happier with "California Girls" and "I Get Around."
>>
My heart belongs to rock music. I love the sound of the electric guitar. But while I'd prefer rock music to artful, melodic pop at any day, most pop music wasn't made by Brian Wilson.

It's neither the most sophisticated album ever made, nor the saddest, nor the happiest, nor the craziest, nor the wackiest, nor the most intelligent one, the most hard-hitting one, the most down-to-earth one, but it all doesn't matter because it's Pet Sounds. And there is only one Pet Sounds. It's the most Pet Sounds album. So what even is Pet Sounds? Pet Sounds isn't just an album, it's a philosophy of music. That all music is part of the vibrations of the universe. The album dig for it, and Brian Wilson proceeded to dig even deeper for the vibrations and went insane, as if it was prove that he was bullseye on the right track to musical perfection. He tied everything together on the album, a cosmic session for the coming-of age of a young artist, who only wanted to bring joy to all humans and was rewarded with pain.

I do not owe you anything when I proclaim Pet Sounds as the best album ever. You either believe me, or you don't. And what ultimately only matters is that people feel the same profound satisfaction from listening to it like I do, not that they accept my irrelevant opinion. I dream of a world in which all people band together, regardless of color, religious belief, philosophical opinions, nationality, diet, clothing, sexual preference, or favorite tv channel, or favorite album, that we will all band together and find the beauty in the music of Brian Wilson.
>>
Because it's good
>>
>>61250764
>No source

fuck off kiddo!
>>
nice to see no Bitch Boys fan can refute this
>>
>>61250734
it's the sound. It's amazing. It brings you into an entire world, immersing you. Or at least immersing me. Listen to the whole thing on a good sound system. I honestly don't like the early Beach Boys formula - I'd take early stuff by The Byrds or The Who over it any day - but Pet Sounds is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

>>61250844
his source is himself, you're asking what people like dipshit
>>
>>61251108
>it's the sound. It's amazing. It brings you into an entire world, immersing you. Or at least immersing me. Listen to the whole thing on a good sound system. I honestly don't like the early Beach Boys formula - I'd take early stuff by The Byrds or The Who over it any day - but Pet Sounds is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.
not true by the way
>>
>>61250756
Nice review Will Toledo
>>
File: pat rick.png (182 KB, 360x327) Image search: [Google]
pat rick.png
182 KB, 360x327
>>61250734
Bad bait
>>
>>61251108
>the source is himself
its from a blog you fuckin jawa, but anyways i agree with the guy who wrote the actual blog, phil spector is goat
>>
>>61251131
how can you say it's not true. I'm talking about my own experiences. You should literally kill yourself.
>>
>>61251238
you just got TROLLED hahahahaaaa sniff hahaha
>>
People like it. Things that people like generally think it's the greatest.
>>
>>61251332
that's why i don't understand how all these intellectually deficient children on /mu/ really believe RYM is a proper "gauge" for best albums of all time and completely deny any logical factors
>>
>>61251399
your "logical factors" consist of an arbitrary list of other 60's albums. you're a joke
>>
God only knows
>>
File: pauldano[1].jpg (51 KB, 463x509) Image search: [Google]
pauldano[1].jpg
51 KB, 463x509
comparing soul LPs to Pet Sounds gives me the indication that you have significantly failed to grasp the significance of Pet Sounds as an artistic achievement. It's not about the masterful songwriting (although nearly all of the songs are masterpieces of pop song composition, blowing away just about every other example you named with the exception of Dylan) or the shockingly forward thinking production and instrumentation (including arrangements, harmonies, and rhythms that are mindbogglingly original and beautiful musical effects easily comparable with classical musics.

The reason that Pet Sounds is a truly historic, and incredibly valuable piece of art is how he created a vibrant, personal, relatable, timeless, near-religious piece of music that lives and breathes within the pop LP format.

If you're genuinely curious, i'd love to elaborate on any of these points, but based on your fascination with deriding the album I doubt you have much interest in understanding why it's hailed as one of the best of all time.
>>
>>61251835
is that hayden christensen
>>
File: 9889.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
9889.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>61251835
>he fell and believes the Pet Sounds meme
This abomination is placed pretty highly on just about every album list I’ve ever seen. Usually in the top five, even. Nowadays, Pet Sounds has all the cultural relevance of a dog food commercial. It’s an elaborate symphony of merry, jingling pap, filled with goofy noises and men with extremely high voices. Hearing Brian Wilson and his band of brothers hit the notes in “Don’t Talk” is a truly emasculating experience. Seriously, it makes my nuts suck up into my body a little bit, like imagining Ernest Borgnine naked. I think the album is so highly rated for a few reasons: first of all, critics are fascinated by Brian Wilson because he is a loony idiot savant, and everybody knows that loony idiot savants make the best music. They refuse to admit that the album is merely a syrupy and overblown testament to one man’s meticulous studio habits. Even if Pet Sounds has the most elaborate production on Earth, that still just makes it rock and roll’s most highly-polished turd.
>>
>>61251987
Don't Talk is only Brian Wilson and none of his brothers so I stopped with your opinion there.
>>
>>61251987
>critics are fascinated by Brian Wilson because he is a loony idiot savant
The album was acclaimed before he became loony, retard

also, if you listen to the lyrics, it's pretty clear that he had a fairly substantial grasp on the world. Read the words to I Know There's an Answer. it's obvious that he was observant, understood psychology, cared about other people, etc. Pretty clearly not an idiot, maybe just a musical genius eh?

Danie Johnston is a loony idiot and no critics claim he makes the best music.

Calling an album that generations of people have been captivated by a meme reveals your total refusal to seriously consider any aspect of the album as an art form, which explains why you prefer Aretha Franklin LPs.
>>
>>61251835
>>61252088
you're the best trip just want to say
>>
>>61252182
ii-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i--i--v-i don't know what to say.,,.
>>
Never listened in full, got it for Christmas.

Best album of the 60s. Crisp, pretty, refreshing, sophisticated pop music. Psych pop and pop in general owe so much to it.
>>
>>61252501
i thought that was a chord progression when i glanced over it
>>
1. That's Not Me (Amazing, jangly pop rock perfection)
2. God Only Knows (horn motif is legendary, chorus is beautiful)
3. Wouldn't It Be Nice (perfect surf pop)
4. Let's Go Away For Awhile (amazing instrumental, truly prog pop)
5. I Know There's an Answer (sax solo is 10/10, explosively powerful piece)
6. Pet Sounds (funky and fun instumental)
7. Here Today (just great)
8. You Still Believe In Me (magical and festive, feels Christmas)
9. Caroline No (chilled out closer)
10. Don't Talk (surprisingly dark)
11. I'm Waiting For the Day (not a huge fan, okay pop rock)
12. These Times (a little boring)
13. Sloop John B (Yellow Submarine of the album desu)
>>
>>61253338
>13. Sloop John B (Yellow Submarine of the album desu)
This meme needs to die
>>
>>61253464
It's not a meme. It's a silly ditty, not as great as the other songs.

I don't see why you think I'm joking.
>>
>>61253464
>>61253637
Yellow Submarine is fucking awesome you dinguses
>>
>>61251835
>P-h-i-l-S-p-e-c-t-o-r
its only the way it is because its been done before the album has some gems, should not be as coveted as it is on the internet, oh well the internet is where opinions are affected by the "majority" anyways
>>
>>61251515
logical factors have to do with disposition, mood, culture, socioeconomics, language etc. those aren't arbitrary jumanji, keep walking
>>
>>61250734
>the absence of soul... by rock critics
Would you also bitch about the lack of rock by hip hop critics?
>>
>>61250734
It's something that has to be dissected into its parts to really be enjoyed, I think.

Take for example God Only Knows, the song in its entirety is amazing, but if you analyze it by its parts Brian's true brilliance lies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdGmwnH7Q6o
>>
>>61253832
>Wilson
>Spector
>>
>>61253338
Waiting for the Day is great FaM
>>
It's probably the only album that I can feel 100% satisfied with after listening to the whole thing. Sloop John B hindered that for a while, but I began to appreciate it as much as the rest of the album. 10/10 album desu mi familia.
>>
>>61251987
r.i.p. ernest borgnine
>>
>>61250734
I too can name 30 better albums from the 60s, but surely The Beatles and the Rolling stones are not among them.
>>
>>61255157
*tips fedora*
>>
>>61250734
When critics are trying to figure out what the "best" X is they don't try to actually pick the best X, they try to pick what would be the least controversial pick for best. Pet Sounds is a pop album (thus it already appeals to the majority of people who hear it) but it's a little more experimental than your average pop album so it's also generally liked by people who are more critical of pop music. So basically it appeals to people who like pop music and people who don't like pop music, it's a win-win for the critics. Even though a lot of people like Pet Sounds though, that doesn't mean most people will say it's literally the best album ever. I doubt you could get a general consensus at all about what the best album ever is. Basically, you shouldn't fret enough about this issue to write the post you did. The people who voted it the best album ever probably didn't even put as much thought into it as you have, and they get paid to do it.
>>
>>61255346
If you don't believe me about this by the way, just think about how it applies to other albums widely considered the best. Sgt. Peppers and Dark Side of the Moon come to mind for me. Those albums and Pet Sounds aren't as experimental and hard-to-enjoy as say, Trout Mask Replica, but they also aren't as poppy and forgettable as say, 1989 (I'm referencing the Taylor Swift album so sorry if I got the name wrong). All three of them are very safe and uncontroversial choices for "best album ever".
>>
>>61255346
there are no people who voted anything the best, you have no understanding of music history or criticism if you think any discussion of Pet Sounds involves a vote or any particular critics naming anything about any critics naming it their favorite. Holy shit, it's like you're incapable of discussing music.

>>61255157
Thirty better rock/pop albums? I'm skeptical
>>
probably the most influential album in the indie pop genre as we know it today
>>
>>61255441
What the actual hell are you talking about? Of course there are music critics that make lists regarding what the best album or songs are, both in general and in cateogries like decade or genre. Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, Fantano, Scaruffi come to mind immediately. I mean I guess you could argue none of those are legitimate critics but my point is that there are clearly people who publically make statements regarding best albums/songs/bands etc and it seems your denying this obvious fact so I genuinely don't know what you are talking about. I mean, if there weren't people who did this why would OP even ask why people think Pet Sounds is the best album ever?
>>
theres nothing on this album that was not already done.
>>
>>61250734
well anon, I never thought of it that way, I guess you're right
>>
>>61255523
and Brian perfected those things. In a scalable way too. Giving this album more influence and permanently leaving its mark on the sound of modern music. That's why it is considered great.
>>
File: Low Quality Bait.png (181 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Low Quality Bait.png
181 KB, 600x600
>>61250734
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.