[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey everyone. What is the side of literature that would be analogous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 20sg0y.jpg (15 KB, 431x327) Image search: [Google]
20sg0y.jpg
15 KB, 431x327
Hey everyone. What is the side of literature that would be analogous to noise rock, crust, PE, industrial, old school death metal, experimental?
>>
edgy teen fanfiction about anime and video game characters
>>
Sotos wrote some shit
Matthew Stokoe's books, especially Cows and High Life
Suehiro Maruo's manga are pretty cool
Punk/Outsider 'zines
Cut up comics, check out Officina Infernale (Italian, but the drawings are cool)
Splatterpunk fiction
>>
>>61239211
Was gonna say Sotos and fanzines
>>
>>61239225
I'm looking for like, actual books and stories. Not fanzines. I like the spirit of this thread though.
>>
>>61239170
I read hp lovecraft, poe, berserk and gantz manga, lolita, clockwork orange.
I would rec lovecraft an poe, i like the short story/poem in their turn of the century American format
>>
Wasn't William S. Burroughs friends with noise rock creators? He also writes pretty experimental stuff.
>>
>>61239548
Yeah, I heard about the naked lunch. Idk if I really want to read it though, because apparently he just took a shit load of heroin and tried to write a book. I wanna know if he has anything that doesn't sound as mindless and self indulgent.
>>
File: IMG_20151224_135526.jpg (4 MB, 2336x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151224_135526.jpg
4 MB, 2336x4160
>>61239548
Yeah, he also did some music. Kinda shitty, except for his single with Kurt Cobain. He was an actor in a Ministry music video.

>>61239238
I'm >>61239211 look into Stokoe and the Splatterpunk collection if you want stories, and the Doom Magnetic Trilogy by William Pauley III and Dreams of Amputation by Gary Shipley.

And please, everybody check out Officina Infernale. Pic related.
>>
>>61239170
You know Gira wrote a book of short stories called The Consumer

it's edgetastic
>>
existentialism & post-modernism
>>
>>61239649
Oh man, I've read little snippets of what gira writes. I also listened to his spoken word. He has a really fucked up mind, but he doesn't hold it back at all.
>>
>>61239633
Was a bit more than that - he kind of pioneered remix and cut-up, you'd be surprised at the complexity, layering and meta-fictionality of his books.
>>
>>61239170
just read existentialism & postmodernism
start with max stirner
>>
File: 1387123117036.png (164 KB, 548x682) Image search: [Google]
1387123117036.png
164 KB, 548x682
>>61239666
sorry I had to. I'll check it out on goodreads.
>>
Surrealism, scifi horror, Distopian Cyberpunk
>>
seconding/thirding/whatever Sotos
a lot of stuff published by Feral House (especially Apocalypse Culture I and II)
Les chants de Maldoror
Jean Genet

Honestly this stuff gets boring pretty quickly.
>>
>>61239170
Nietzche
>>
>>61239899
>Honestly this stuff gets boring pretty quickly.
then what do you recommend for a really engaging experience in literature?
>>
>>61239937
nah nietzsche is more like grimes and that pc music shit
>>
>>61239949
It's a shitty answer, but that's something you kind of have to figure out for yourself. I like a lot of weird fiction like Robert Aickman and Thomas Ligotti, but a lot of people don't find that shit worthwhile at all.
>>
>>61240059
This is what I hate about trying to get into reading. I don't know what I even want to read, because books take a long fucking time to read. I have to prepare myself mentally so much. I have to not only make sure I am picking the right book so I don't waste my time, but I have to set aside time and do absolutely nothing else so I can actually read it. That's really difficult, I dunno how I am ever going to really get into reading.
>>
>>61240075
just pick something easy to get your foot in. start with the basic shit like
the stranger by camus
The Trial by Franz Kafka

If you really wanna skip all that, watch some yt lectures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a-8xBbr05Y I recommend this as a starter
>>
>>61239170
Death Metal seems the odd one out here, i'd put it with horror, wheras the others would fit better with transgressive fiction

but OSDM + H.P. Lovecraft is always a classic combo
>>
>>61239633
as >>61239663 said you kinda have to read the rest of his stuff before that if you want to understand a lot of the allusions
>>
>>61240075
Not him, but I'll try and help you out. What do you like, in other mediums? Movies, music, vidya? Start off with something related to that, I'll give you a few titles if you tell me what you enjoy. As for general recs, make sure it doesn't feel like a chore - if it becomes something you have to nudge yourself into doing, find something else to read. Don't be afraid of reading a "bad" book, reading as a habit needa these kind of mistakes too. You read something shitty, you know you'll read something worthwhile next - which'll be made all the better by comparison. Don't push yourself into "literary fiction" just cause people say it's good, it's either an acquired taste or something you naturally like. Pick up random books in the library. Always carry a book with you, learn to read it in the downtimes instead of ussing your phone. Five pages at a time add up during a day/week. Now I know I may be coming off preachy, but I really do want to help people get into reading as it is my great love on this Earth.
>>
File: nickland1.jpg (63 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
nickland1.jpg
63 KB, 580x386
Nick Land
>>
>>61240174
I think death metal can actually be one of the most transcendental genres imaginable. Listen to stuff like Disembowelment, Demilich, Timeghoul, it gets really bizarre and freaky. To me that is what death metal has always been about. It's philosophical, human, psycho.
>>
>>61240186
In terms of anime I like
Akira
Berserk
Ghost In The Shell
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Princess Mononoke

For movies I like
Eraserhead
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
A Clockwork Orange
Silence Of The Lambs
One Flew Over The Coocoo's Nest
The Green Mile

Video games
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Zelda: a link to the past
Chrono Trigger
Halo 3
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Taste in music
http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor
https://rateyourmusic.com/~EveryoneDies
>>
>>61240220
For starters, reading the novels the movies you like are based on wouldn't be a bad idea - start off with King maybe, The Green Mile then The Shining then Night Shift; Silence of the Lambs is pretty cool, check out Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory - kind of similar. Blood Red Rivers, too. Read Neuromancer and Snow Crash since you seem to like cyberpunk, then some Crichton (Sphere, Adromeda Strain, Congo) then if you want to challenge yourself maybe Peter Watts' Blindisght. Lovecraft wouldn't be half bad, and neither would Robert E. Howard.

A few of my personal faves that you may like:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas / On the Campaign Trail - Hunter Thompson
Outer Dark / Child of God - Cormac McCarthy
Filth - Irvine Welsh
Ligotti, as >>61240059 said

Now, most of these aren' what you'd call "literary fiction", but that's mostly a definition cooked up by tryhards who really want you to believe they're cooler than you in some way - so just read what feels ice, branch out by reading similar authors you find online, randomly pick up books whose title/cover appeals you...
>>
>>61240327
Thank you very much. I just got a kindle, so I have been really getting into making reading a priority. I always had a difficulty with it, because getting paperback is a pain in the ass, and I never had a good tool to use ebooks. So yeah, I'm basically just saying I am very much trying to take this seriously, which means I can't understate that I appreciate your recommendations.
>>
>>61240220
>Video games
just for the sake of interest, I forgot to mention resident evil 4. holy fuck that gave is god tier.
>>
>>61240370
Happy to have been of help, friend. I really hope you manage to stick with your intention and get into the world of books - and if I managed to help, all the better!
>>
murakami is generally the best author to 'begin' reading with imo. may just be my personal experiences, and my friends - but hes a definitely an author that introduced me to reading. If you were to read his stuff, i'd suggest kafka on the shore or the wind-up bird chronicle both fully embrace his magic realism style that he is known for. If you find murakami too accessible, kurt vonnegut is another good author tp begin with who writes in a similar style. After that some personal authors i'd recommend despite accessbility would be david foster wallace, henry miller, and james joyce. All famous authors who have written some brillaint stuff.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.