[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the logical conclusion to post-rock? Are some of you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: front.jpg (51 KB, 600x533) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
51 KB, 600x533
This is the logical conclusion to post-rock? Are some of you folks nuts? Maybe if you subtract Treachery, Terminus, and Demons Sing. And even then there's no cohesive theme tying all the songs together as tightly as Spiderland or even Rusty.
>>
the sense of manic depression and paranoia is pretty coherent tho
>>
literally whom are you quoting? i barely see unwound referred to as post-rock, then again i havent listened to it

>>61238066
>there's no cohesive theme tying all the songs together
so what, its just an album, there doesnt need to be, doesnt necessarily mean its worse than those you mention
afaik spiderland doesnt really have one either
>>
>>61238120

But it's not tightly wound, pun not intended. The manic depression and paranoia you speak of is there, yeah. But it's redundant in places that breaks any smooth flow and only there in ONE place.

Demons Sing Love Songs, the idea that "love's a demon" is cool, but the same subject matter is done BETTER on the second disc with Scarlette.

The paranoia present on Treachery is done MILES better on Off This Sentry and Scarlette. And fucking hell Treachery is awful.

"t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-treachery
t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-treachery
just breathe
just breathe
just breathe
t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-treachery"

Terminus exemplifies the idea of manic depression succinctly with its jovial jaunting playing going into darker shit in the last 1/3rd of the track. But it's the ONLY track that does this. Every other track is dark and moody.

It's all too jumbled, I just can't believe it's held in such high regard, especially some people putting on par with Spiderland.

>>61238195
>literally whom are you quoting? i barely see unwound referred to as post-rock, then again i havent listened to it

I guess I browse here too much, but I see it brought up plenty of times in reference to post-rock, but especially in regards to Spiderland.

>so what, its just an album, there doesnt need to be, doesnt necessarily mean its worse than those you mention

You're absolutely right, it doesn't. But if that's the case the songs individually don't hold up because dudes like June of 44, Rodan, and Slint did all these ideas and better. With the exception of things like Below The Salt, We Invent You; the majority of the right disc really.

>afaik spiderland doesnt really have one either

Isolation. To a tee.
>>
>>61238212
>Isolation. To a tee.
guess i just didn/couldnt really pay attention to the lyrics then, and what common ground the different stories cover. i get that it does have an overall vibe, one of that sort, but thats not the same

well, im gonna listen to leaves now or soon-ish later today and then perhaps come back to this thread telling you why youre full of shit, probably not though
>>
>>61238066
I'm a big Unwound fan and every pretentious post about this stupid, boring album filled with unfinished experiments keeps on making me angry.

Everyone reading this thread should just go listen to Justin's new band. It's actually good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQk7u6fRRJo
>>
>>61238253
S'cool man I mean most times we don't have time to really listen to shit.

>well, im gonna listen to leaves now or soon-ish later today and then perhaps come back to this thread telling you why youre full of shit, probably not though

Dawg I want to be full of shit, There are some good ideas on here, especially on the right disc. But they're JUST ideas. It's just not a very good album.

>>61238268

Will check 'em thanks man.
>>
>>61238212
DSLS has the best lyrics on the whole album for me and i think that Scarlette handles the subject differently. But, you know, different strokes and shit

>>61238268
>stupid, boring album filled with unfinished experiments
that's not Soundtracks for the Blind
>>
>>61238287
>DSLS has the best lyrics on the whole album for me

Seriously? I mean yeah different strokes and all that but dude. Alright whatever.
>>
alright imma just blog here a little

i didnt think too much of the first two tracks (though i loved the intro feedback) but december sort of won me over, especially that cyclical, push/pulling riff that pops up at one point. i agree that the hook on treachery kind of sucks, but the whole track redeemds itself in the last third, when those backing vocals kick in its like hnnng!! when did those bands you mention ever have something like that?
im liking termi as well so far, the dynamics were mostly what got me, and the whole structure/development of that track seems well and creatively done
@ dsls rn and more or less indifferent on that one

didnt expect to get into it very much honestly but im rather positive so far. a less lethargic and/or monotone type of vocal would be more to my liking i spose
>>
>>61238436
>when did those bands you mention ever have something like that?

Like I said, neat ideas that are just ideas. Especially when their previous stuff like New Plastic Ideas just sounded more fuller. But my primary contention is folks putting this on the same level as Spiderland. See I ain't digging at all into >>61238287

Just some dude who digs the album. I ain't even digging into you you dig the tracks that's cool I dig December, Below The Salt, We Invent You, Off This Century, etc. But I've just seen a LOT on /mu/, allmusic, fucking any major music website putting this shit on the pedestal of pedestals it's ridiculous.
>>
>>61238477
oh yea i totally get you, my friends are all over this thing aswell. havent read a lot of reviews on it actually. tbf they have a far-more-than-decent knack for hooks/melodies/riffs as far as i can tell
>>
>>61238436
the lethargic vocals are part of what make the album as captivating as it is though; they add an extra layer of bleakness and tiredness
>>
I think I like Leaves the least of all their albums.
>>
>>61238650
i just wish theyd change those up some more times, like they did on off this century, there were a good couple rousing moments where that would have fit, and that contrast could have made huge impact, yfm?
>>
>>61238699
same here
my favourites are New Plastic Ideas and The Future Of What
>>
>>61238066
You fkin pleb, that album is post-hardcore
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.