[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on Zorn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 320x213
Redpill me on Zorn
>>
Talentless, but has some good shit.

Listen to his projects PainKiller, Naked City. Spillane is good solo album too.
>>
Listen to his Dreamers project. Really cool, chill jazz.
>>
He likes to blow his saxophone real screechy
>>
surf aoty 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfB8Ij2ofqI

but recently other than that he basically just puts out too much stuff every year for me to keep track of let alone get involved in, but I've always been a big fan of his old crazy more metal stuff like naked city and painkiller
>>
>>61214884
zionist hack
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>61214884
people on here jerk off his abrasive late 80s early 90s projects like >>61214922

his game piece concepts are pretty fascinating. his mid 80s concept albums are just pure music-nerd candy

he's worked exclusively with some of the best musicians in the world since like 1979 so reading the credits of his albums will give you two to fifteen new artists to check out

his label tzadik is fucking based and you should check out stuff off of it at sheer random

i love tons of his projects but recently he's focused on chamber shit and metal trash that sounds very samey and pretentious to me

i can tell you tons of projects of his to check out

he also plays a MEAN sax once you get used to his vibing.

Overall great entry point into lots of modern styles and concepts of music, if you can get past his douchy personality. Anyone who calls him a hack has no idea what they're talking about and anyone who says he's the best fucking thing ever has no idea what he's talking about. Take a good long time to explore his discography, his collaborators (Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, George Lewis, Derek Bailey, Mr. Bungle clique) and fucking enjoy the ride and when you're done you'll be fifty times more patrician if you paid attention
>>
>>61215164
I would love to see Zorn release a straight forward jazz album just to show how god-tier his sax playing is.
I enjoyed his Simulacrum project. He's definitely inspirational to me in terms of how varied his projects are and how he accepts all musicians. I guess I'm in the best fucking thing camp. I also never thought he came across as being douchy, just really passionate about what he does.
>>
>>61215283
>I would love to see Zorn release a straight forward jazz album just to show how god-tier his sax playing is.
he hasnt? thats really shocking. pretty sure I've heard tons of start forward songs at least.
>>
File: John Zorn and Mike Patton.png (451 KB, 900x800) Image search: [Google]
John Zorn and Mike Patton.png
451 KB, 900x800
The musical equivalent of Invader Zim
>>
>>61215303
*straight forward

like on naked city etc and really as I recall some of those albums were entirely too straight forward for me.
>>
>>61215303
>>61215319
The only straight forward stuff I can think of are the albums he did as Big John Patton's sax player.
>>
>>61215164
Love his Naked City and Painkiller projects what are some of his solo stuff aside from kristallnacht that would be good for starters
>>
File: Spy_vs_Spy_(album).jpg (15 KB, 200x195) Image search: [Google]
Spy_vs_Spy_(album).jpg
15 KB, 200x195
>>61215360
Pic related and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Pftl5CUgs
are both pretty good, and of a similar vein to Naked City
>>
>>61215350
ok but to make sure just for starers, there are a lot of straight forward songs from naked city right?
>>
>>61215360
Masada and the Dreamers
>>
>>61215414
Naked City was pretty experimental. I can only think of a handful of tunes they did that come close. Inside Straight is the first that comes to mind. I know they did some Ornette Coleman and Mingus covers too.
>>
>>61215453
oh huh I guess I didnt realize they did so many covers.
>>
>>61215283
he's played on some fairly conventional stuff
his work with the Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet is pretty conventional. His sax work on some Masada tracks are fairly normal jazz (albiet in some funky ethnic scales). I wouldn't say his playing is 'god'-tier but he's god-tier when it comes to arranging pieces for ensembles and putting tracks together. The amount of brainpower it must have taken to re-arrange the Morricone pieces for some of those groups on the Big Gundown is staggering.

>>61215360
his mid-80s albums like Spillane, Spy vs Spy, and the Big Gundown. the Dreamers is fucking amazing. and his Book of Angels project.

>>61215350
do you know the names of the recordings he did with his band? i haven't heard that
>>
>>61215745
I have yet to hear the Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet, so I will check that out. I would agree that some of the Masada tracks are straight forward, while still being complicated. I would say his playing is god-tier using a Masada track as an example. I was in a jazz group and we did a Masada tune, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcIYVDUE5M
The song is actually kind of hard to play over, let alone solo over. There are at least 16 time signature changes in the tune alone, yet Zorn solos over it with ease.

I believe it was only 2 Patton albums: Blue Planet Man and Minor Swing.
>>
I bought some hard to get cds from him off discogs for really cheap.
>>
>>61215863
i was speaking to the more straightforward Masada stuff, like this joint. It's a modal routine over a very nasty middle eastern groove, and Zorn and Douglas go all-out on their solos. It's a shame that more Masada tunes aren't like this. I don't care for the more free stuff and I don't care for the more orchestrated stuff (like what you posted), I just like when he plays like Jewish Coleman. I don't listen to much Masada proportionally because I find myself waiting for the two or three bars of boppy stuff. Downloading the Patton stuff now :)
>>
>>61215970
Cool. Listening to the Sonny Clark project and it's sick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj11jPwIq94
>>
>>61216052
well it's horvitz on piano and previte on drums and zorn on alto playing straightforward jazz tunes
>>
>>61216191
I seriously had no idea this existed.
>>
He's quite simply the best jazz composer.
>>
>>61215303

He's 'released' a fair amount of modern Jazz records, but he hasn't played on any of them.
>>
File: adreamerschristmas.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
adreamerschristmas.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>61215303
this is just jazz covers of classic christmas songs with two original compositions. probably his most straightforward release.
>>
>>61216354
he doesn't play sax on it.........
>>
>>61216359
well it's still a straightforward jazz album he released, though i'll admit to glossing over the part requiring him on the sax
>>
his soundtrack "Film Works XXIII - El General" is really chill, calming music featuring guitar, marimba and piano
>>
File: MI0000752095.jpg (25 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
MI0000752095.jpg
25 KB, 500x446
i've been into his moonchild stuff lately. improvised (or at least it sounds that way) avant-metal with nonverbal vocalizations from mike patton.
>>
>>61215164
I don't think he seems douchy. All the interviews I've seen he seems like a pretty normal guy who just wants to have a thousand music projects happening at once.
>>
>>61216347
>>61216359
>tfw Zorn doesn't care about playing sax anymore
It's a shame since he's a good player
>>
>>61216491
Maybe douchey isn't the right word, but I think that his insistence on releasing a dozen albums a year actually is really regressive and egotistical. his birthday projects too. i'm not sure what it is. i just know that i can't really get behind him as a normal guy considering that he ego may very well be harming the reception of his work since most critics don't keep up.

>>61216425
i actually haven't listened to any of his film works at all, because i tend to find soundtracks really dull and a waste of time regardless of the composer

>>61216437
i don't think it's improvised, but yeah Moonchild is cool. The project develops in a pretty crazy way, keep following the albums, the ensembles change from album to album and it's a pretty cool
>>
>>61216554

Oh yeah, I know. I agree.

I think he's probably just tired of playing, or more interested in composing, anyways.
>>
>>61216354

He plays I think on one or two tracks on the original Dreamers release.
>>
>>61215283
Masada? News for Lulu (John Zorn, George Lewis and Bill Frisell)?
>>
>>61214922
>talentless

this man knows more about music theory than you can possibly imagine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfwhG1KtQp4
>>
>>61214884
>>61214884

he looks a lot like that guy who posts his cat on here
>>
>>61215308
/thread
hold your sporks
>>
If you go in New York just go see a gig at The Stone. He's artistic director there.

Small room, shitty plastic chairs and no restroom/bar but quality music and you're literally next to the musicians.

I was the only goy there I guess except maybe the drummer but they didn't mind.

Also I think the first CD of mr bungle is his best work even if it's the worst of the 3. He produced it and has a sax solo.
>>
Anybody feel like sharing Moonchild and Psychomagia?
>>
Zorn's sax is amazing
I love me some Electric Masada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjbr7LS4zIE
>>
File: psychomagia_.jpg (39 KB, 705x705) Image search: [Google]
psychomagia_.jpg
39 KB, 705x705
John Zorn - Psychomagia (2014) (320kbps)
>Avant garde, jazz, rock

Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfB8Ij2ofq
Download: https://mega.nz/#!XNlHDZxL!5dF-yHMDcPljm8iCqWqakUDbmUy0nlqFcMnroRv0uu8
>>
File: mountanalogue.jpg (1 MB, 860x798) Image search: [Google]
mountanalogue.jpg
1 MB, 860x798
I've been enjoying Mount Analogue very much lately.

>>61215164
>his label tzadik is fucking based and you should check out stuff off of it at sheer random
I can only second this, especially if listening to recent popular releases have you bored and thinking you've heard it all.

>>61221002
I don't have Moonchild but here's Astronome, the same musicians (Moonchild Trio) are involved:
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/gbDV4JXS/file.html
>>
>>61221549
Can you / someone upload mount analogue? The links in the archive are dead
>>
Wow, a Zorn game piece with Eugene Chadbourne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyz2ShV3mOA
>>
He's a hack
>>
>>61222946
rong agan
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.