[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Musique Concrete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: concrete.jpg (225 KB, 1129x690) Image search: [Google]
concrete.jpg
225 KB, 1129x690
how do I get into Musique Concrete /mu/?
>>
>>61212716
You DON'T!! LOL

(like this post for more similar content in the future)
>>
First you forget any intellectual thought you've ever had about music involving melody harmony or form; none of that quality stuff is necessary
Then make an RYM account. This is the most important step.
Then put your head up your ass. Remember when shitposting saying "Stockhausen and Feldman are just as good as Mozart and Beethoven!" that you have to shout LOUDLY otherwise it gets lost in the anus.
>>
bang your head against it
>>
listen to esteemed musique concrete albums such as works by luc ferrari, lionell marchetti, bernard parmegiani, robert ashley, michel chion and so on .. :)

>>61212740
uptoasted ;)
>>
>>61212820
>robert ashley
>good
top meme
>>
I think the thing to remember is that the most famous composers and pieces aren't necessarily the best. It's usually the early stuff that's best known, but electroacoustic music reached a mature point around 1968-1990. So go for that stuff. Mainly INA-GRM was the most important institution, but there were a few other composers working outside of that. I think the best are Francois Bayle, Bernard Parmegiani, Francis Dhomont, Denis Smalley and Iannis Xenakis.

It's also helpful to understand what they were going for; musique concrete is primarily concerned with the sound itself rather than some specific method of organization. Pierre Schaeffer emphasized reduced listening, i.e. listening to the qualities of the sound rather than its semantic content or cause, and also composing through listening. This is pretty much the exact opposite of what composers like Stockhausen and Boulez did.
>>
>>61212820
>luc ferrari
>bernard parmegiani
>robert ashley
>michel chion
>listening to musique dadcrete
>>
Luc Ferrari and Barry Truax are great if you want stuff that's based more on field recordings. The early Truax stuff isn't so great (although really interesting from a technical standpoint as he was pretty much the first composer to focus fully on real time signal processing), but it gets better circa Riverrun. I don't like his pieces that incorporate instruments.

Jonathan Harvey is also great. And Trevor Wishart (the later stuff anyway).

And here's a recent find that I think is excellent (Jonty Harrison):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI1KSZnYjaE
>>
File: Essential - Muique Concrete.png (2 MB, 1463x988) Image search: [Google]
Essential - Muique Concrete.png
2 MB, 1463x988
>>61213056
Seconding this, but give this chart a look
>>
>>61212755
Classical pleb detected

>tfw some people still can't understand the nature of recorded media
>>
>>61214235
>Classical pleb
Explain?
>>
Here's another great one, early Denis Smalley work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwYW02nf6WM
>>
>>61214324
I'd assume that his comment was about how you're so ingrained in the idea of music being solely about melody and rhythm that you're unable to appreciate music outside of those realms.
>>
>>61214174
Haven't listened to much of that, but the only thing that I've tried and liked was Luc Ferrari, who was quite good.
>>
>>61214430
I can appreciate it. It's easy to appreciate it. So easy that it's boring.
Feldman is boring, Scelsi is boring, they're all boring with their stasis shit.
It's music for the easily amused and small of mind.
>>
>>61214430
And also that music is inherently a sensory experience and not something that can be meaningfully reduced to notation. Deliberate focus on the actual sound is important.
>>
asking for recommendations for recordings of an academic medium instead of reading a book makes me *facepalm*
>>
>>61214491
...which has what to do with musique concrete?
>>
>>61214617
OP asked how to get into it, not for recommendations. What books would you suggest?
>>
>>61212850
what's wrong with robert ashley?
some of his instrumental pieces are kinda lame i guess but automatic writing is one of the most moving things i've ever heard.
>>
>>61214662
That electroacoustic shit has about the same appeal as Feldman or Scelsi.
Still easy to appreciate. Still incredibly boring.
>>
>>61214669
Not that guy but Microsound by Curtis Roads is good (although not specific to musique concrete). Biographical stuff related to Schaeffer is worthwhile too. And there are a lot of papers relating to specific composition, institutions or technologies that are good too.

It's kind of a problem that many musique concrete composers aren't good at expressing themselves or describing what they're doing. People like Stockhausen have a lot more to say. Musique concrete being largely intuitive often doesn't leave a lot to talk about.
>>
>>61214699
You seem to have very poor listening skills. Maybe you should work on that.
>>
>>61214750
Microsounds looks interesting, thanks for the rec
I'll look around and see what I can find with papers
>>
>>61214768
Name your top 5 composers.
>>
File: 1437449015973.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1437449015973.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>61214768
>>61214799
I'd make some snide remark about how you're both pretty, but this is going to be too much fun to watch
>>
>>61214876
He probably won't respond.
>>
>>61214799
Only 5? I dunno, maybe Messiaen, Scriabin, Scarlatti, Ravel, Rautavaara?

Can I throw in Wyschnegradsky? and Takemitsu?
>>
File: 768-Josquin_cropped.jpg (53 KB, 624x416) Image search: [Google]
768-Josquin_cropped.jpg
53 KB, 624x416
>>61214904
>all 20th century save Scarlatti
yeah, you ain't fooling me kid.
>>
>>61214904
>>61214913
You basically just said "I love Jazz! A Love Supreme, Black Saint, Machine Gun, all of it!!!!!1!"
I can tell that your listening is primarily informed by RYM or similar websites.
Let me know when you truly discover music from 1000-1820.
>>
>>61214913
Oh I like plenty of others. But you said top 5. Gesualdo, Bach, Vicentino, Beethoven, Brahms, etc. Not big on classical period really.

I mainly prefer a 20th century approach, so what?
>>
>>61214965
>I can tell that your listening is primarily informed by RYM or similar websites.
Cool projection, but I'm not really sure where you're trying to go with this. I pretty much never go to any of those sites.
>>
>>61215051
>Not big on classical period really.
Well yeah you don't listen to it because on RYM that stuff doesn't give you credibility the same way Feldman does.
I understand that you think that listening to the Grosse Fugue makes you an expert on Beethoven and hearing Moro Lasso or any other token madrigal (by madrigal I mean "fraction of his work") by Gesualdo makes you "interested" in Renaissance music but unfortunately that's not the case.
Have a good night but please do take classical music more seriously. It's a lot more than some meme for you to rate for credibility.
>>
>>61215190
lol where the fuck are you getting this?

you seem to be very insecure, and you must think for some reason that I am too

I don't have anything to prove to you, regardless of how much you tard out and make ludicrous assumptions.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.