[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Biggest Disappointments of 2015
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: 5824394.jpg (276 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
5824394.jpg
276 KB, 1500x1500
The soundtrack to this is it for me, hands down. John Williams has lost his touch almost entirely. Only one good theme is on here.
>>
File: 1450485210590.jpg (159 KB, 456x502) Image search: [Google]
1450485210590.jpg
159 KB, 456x502
>star wars
>>
>>61212751
hmmm?
>>
File: 1443225414675.jpg (17 KB, 220x246) Image search: [Google]
1443225414675.jpg
17 KB, 220x246
>>61212751

>namefag
>>
he's been like that since the prequels tho. and it isn't entirely due to age, his other recent soundtrack work can actually be quite good. the problem is that william's is basically tied to the music from the original trilogy and can only do so much to create fresh themes and variations based on what he composed nearly 40 years ago.

but yeah, rey's theme, march of the resistance, jedi steps, kylo ren arrives at battle, etc. are pretty good pieces.
>>
John Williams is actually a hack. I'm not even memeing.
>>
and i meant to imply when he does star wars scores, he's incredibly tied to the original trilogy scores whereas when he works with a clean slate, he can actually create new good works.
>>
>>61213420
Prequels had Duel of the Fates and that festival march at the end of Phantom.
Force Awakens has Rey's Theme. That's it.
Jedi Steps is just taken from Rey's and Binary Sunset, I don't even remember Kylo Ren having ANY interesting music, and as for the March:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueqKtype7Kk
https://youtu.be/I6U_PVHmtgs?t=62
>>
>>61213452
thank's proving my point, out of the entire prequels, you cited duel of fates which i didn't call out on purpose because i knew you'd bring it up. also, festival march i don't even remember at all but then that's 2 out of the entire prequels.

tfa at least has 4 good pieces on it, jedi steps is a theme and variation on his previous star wars works no doubt,. who cares about the mahler lifting? not like it's william's first time doing it (holst anyone?) not to mention a lot of film composers tend to lift or reference plenty of classical works anyway. just like pop music derivates from their predecessors (except they tend to get sued because they're all in it for the cache).
>>
>>61213604
But see those two themes from the prequels were original, they had no basis in the original scores.
Rey's is the only "original" melody we have. Plus the melodies from the originals were at least not stolen ENTIRELY from their derivations: the main title clearly has similarities to King's Row, but Williams only improved it by making it more tuneful. Mars only appears in the build up to the main theme for Blockade Runner. etc.

whereas this is the main fucking melody for a main fucking theme
>>
>>61213649
it's star wars though, does he really need to create an entirely new soundtrack when the film itself is even more of a copy of episode IV?

either way, i think william's will not score the remaining films, mainly due to age/health (iirc he doesn't even conduct anymore, unless it's being filmed that is). he lets his main orchestrator do all of that now.
>>
The best music from star wars is the music played at jabba´s palace and sail barge.
>>
Kim Gordon's book
>>
>>61214540
>the music played at jabba´s palace

This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzZOgLH4KU
>>
>>61212615
So is there any hope for a good soundtrack in the next film?
I personally think maybe? Since it will definitely stay further away from the Original Trilogy and even if the composer decides to reuse some themes from The Force Awakens, I still think there is a lot of potential for changing shit up to sound more epic while keeping the Star Wars vibe like Williams did with EP III.
>>
He's 83 and the London Symphony Orchestra wasn't available.
>>
>>61212615
agreed. Prequel soundtracks were much better.
the Prequels were much better in general.

Might be to do with Williams not using the LSO this time. And not having much of a good film to write for.

>>61213444
not really. He knows his shit. Look at his scores, if you can't, or wont, you have no place commenting.
>>
the only good song star wars ever had was cantina
>>
>>61213452
The parade theme at the end of TPM is actually just the Emperor's theme from ROTJ sped up.
>>
File: dsvcdscdsc.jpg (32 KB, 417x407) Image search: [Google]
dsvcdscdsc.jpg
32 KB, 417x407
>>61215739
>the Prequels were much better in general.
>>
>>61212615
>John Williams
c'mon, at least throw better b8
>>
>>61215902
They were though.
Interesting politics
massive space battles
massive droid battles
actually interesting lightsaber battles
vilians who actually seem evil
Stormtroopers dont just magically become good at lightsaber
Interesting and original score, utilizing not just orchestra but choir and synth as well
Good actors. Ewan McGregor for example.
Lots of interesting locations. Not just "another scum desert planet" or "another ice planet"
>>
>>61216591
and which of these applied specifically to eps 2 and 3?
>>
>>61216591
>Interesting politics
lol

>massive space battles
>massive droid battles
which you as the viewer have zero reason to care about since there's no emotional investment in the outcome unless you're superficial enough to think 'I want the good guys to win because they're the good guys'

>actually interesting lightsaber battles
fuck right off with this one, the lightsaber battles are complete shit. They're overly choreographed gymnastics routines and much like the massive x battles there's no emotional investment in the outcome since they don't set up a valid reason for them fighting.

>vilians who actually seem evil
Being an interesting character is more important than 'seeming evil'
Unless you unironically want to suggest that prequel anakin is better than Kylo

>Stormtroopers dont just magically become good at lightsaber
Finn wasn't good at lightsaber, he had his shit wrecked. He had stormtrooper combat training which is why he didn't just die straight away but he still easily lost

>Good actors. Ewan McGregor for example.
TFA's newcomers are good actors

>Lots of interesting locations. Not just "another scum desert planet" or "another ice planet"
Does Empire really have ownership over all locations with snow, even if it's a completely different environment that also happens to have snow? fuck off
>>
>>61216782
I feel like Finn is probably force sensitive though. I mean, he holds a lightsaber on the fucking box.
>>
File: ishygddt.jpg (23 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.jpg
23 KB, 600x600
>>61216591
>good actors
I refuse to believe the movie that gave us lines like "I don't like sand" deserves to be praised in its acting
>>
>>61217441
They were good actors, the directing and writing was just straight up awful.
>>
>>61217382

you don't have to be force sensitive to hold and activate a lightsaber
>>
They should hire Marty O' Donnel
>>
>>61217513
Yeah, but Maz was pretty insistent on him using the lightsaber even though there were blasters lying all around. And he held his own in the fight against Ren for a surprisingly long time for someone who had literally never trained with a lightsaber before. I don't know if he is one hundred percent but I would say it's heavily implied that he is.
>>
>>61217585

I interpreted it as maz getting him to take it because he'd come into contact with rey (which he inevitably did)

Also I figured that stormtroopers are trained in some form of melee combat which is why kylo didn't just die straight away. Kylo's also pretty inexperienced with lightsabers, you can see it with how he swings and hits the rocks and trees around him. When he's fighting finn, he acts a bit cocky and swings his lightsaber around to try and show off and intimidate, but his guard's down and finn gets a hit in. as soon as that happens kylo gets serious and wrecks finn's shit almost intantly
>>
>>61217643
That's also possible. I just feel like Finn is a little flat as a character if he doesn't learn to use the force. Seeing as Rey is already relatively proficient with the force I think it would be a lot more interesting to see Finn use it.
There's also the not-so-credible theory that Rey is taken to the Dark Side and Darth Plagueis uses his crazy bullshit to possess Ren. Leaving Finn as the main Jedi. That shit would be amazing.
>>
>>61217743

I found finn to be an interesting character - not only is his performance entertaining, but he has a fairly decent arc. At the start of the movie he's a stormtrooper who doesn't want to fight, scared and lacks confidence. Then he escapes and gains some confidence but he's still scared and wants to go hide on the outer rim instead of help fight, then he changes his mind once rey gets captured

They even use Phasma as poetry for him - at the start of the movie she's ordering him around, and at the end of the movie he orders her around. It sums up his arc nicely
>>
>>61217910
I just don't know what he can contribute besides the Poe Dameron bromance as the series progresses. Actually if that's all that was contributed I would honestly be okay with that.
>>
>>61217998

That's a fair point, they have to give him something new to do now if he's going to stay a main character otherwise it'll be Jedi all over again and he'll spend 45 minutes in front of a door with nothing to do
>>
>>61216782
>lol
good comeback.

I guess I just need more than "We blow up the death star... again" in my storylines.

Call me hard to please, but I prefer the prequels to the piece of mediocrity I saw yesterday. I felt nothing for any of those characters, and the settings and battles were nothing more than glitzy special effects. Very little actually going on.

At least the prequels had some great settings and music. Also the actors in TFA just didn't do a good job imo.

The most cringe-inducing part of TFA was the "Force interrogation" scenes where evil guy just holds his hand out towards someones head and extracts their thoughts. This is south park or 60s star trek-tier.

The prequels did a great job of expanding the setting, interesting new characters, entire new worlds. What has TFA given us? a storm trooper with a force weapon? a slightly different imperial dropship? a guy with a new mask?

It felt like the hunger games with star wars skinned over it. I wasn't expecting much, and I got exactly what I expected.
>>
>>61217743
>relatively proficient with the force
Yeah how did that happen again?

She's a nobody scavenger, and the suddenly, after being interrogated by a supposed villian, she starts to "awaken" and suddenly knows all the jedi mind tricks?

I call bullshit.
>>
Original Trilogy > Prequels > TFA/rest

Mark this post after the dust has settled and the latest trilogy is old news.
>>
>>61218056
MAY I REMIND YOU
JAR JAR MOTHERFUCKING BINKS
NOTHING THAT JJ ABRAMS CAN DO WILL EVER BE THAT AWFUL.
>>
>>61218056
>interesting new characters
LIKE MOTHERFUKCING GUADO THE FUCKING BOTFLY/JEW CARICATURE??!??!??!! HOW ABOUT BABY ANAKIN AND THE QUEST FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING PODRACE?!?!?!? Jesus I'm taking the bait but FUKKK those movies were bad.
"HEY GUESS WHAT I HAVE TEH HIGH GROUND LMAOOOOOOOO"
>>
>>61218056
>I felt nothing for any of those characters, and the settings and battles were nothing more than glitzy special effects. Very little actually going on.

That's LITERALLY what the prequel lightsaber fights though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

And you've got autism and/or are just dense if you didn't notice all of the emotion going into the lightsaber fight in TFA, there's actual anger and they make mistakes and it doesn't just come off as them reciting a bunch of memorised manoeuvres
>>
>>61218105
I really don't get how people defend the prequels considering they gave birth to the abomination that is Jar Jar Binks
Also
>kid anakin
>awful romance between anakin and padme that took 3/4 of the movies
>TPM's existence itself
>>
>>61218056
also
MIIIIIDIIIIICHHHLOOOORIIIIJANNNNANSSSSSSSS ALJS;DKJFSD;KLJK;FASDJKLJAS;KLLFK
>>
>>61218105
Caps eh? you must pretty mad or something.

All the films have their strong and weak points. I just felt TFA was much weaker than the prequels. You dont have to agree with me, and if the hype has done its work, you wont.

>>61218148
I'm wondering the same thing about TFA
are you guys really defending it? I would be surprised, but this is /mu/ after all, place of radiohead worship, death grips and NMH. The millenials here have very poor taste.

The meme of "I didn't like X character" doesn't really stand up as valid criticism of a film. I didn't like the BB droid in TFA but you dont see me using it as a launchpad to denounce the entire film.

I think you guys just got whipped up by hype and failed to really watch the movie. It wasn't great. 5/10. Prequels would be solid 7s and 8s
>>
>>61218618
i agree it was average at best such a campy half baked movie how did she force persuade a storm trooper howwwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>61218683
also alot of the plot points are just retreads of the original but what else to expect from "marketing the movie"
>>
>>61218618
I like the new characters and thought it was pretty great but fuck that muh thermal oscillator bullshit, the same weakness as the other death star too. Ugh.
>>
>>61218148
Also lets remember that awful romance has always been part of start wars movies, from the very beginning. feel-good humor, one-liners, cheesy romance, good vs evil, all part of the originals and the prequels. Its part of their charm.
>>
>>61218127
>BABY ANAKIN AND THE QUEST FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING PODRACE

Oh, fuark, I am laffing!
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.