[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dick Dale the most underrated guitarist of all time? The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (638 KB, 1434x1419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
638 KB, 1434x1419
Is Dick Dale the most underrated guitarist of all time? The stuff he did was phenomenal, and he literally invented that surf rock sound and was a precursor to heavy metal/thrash. Dick Dale plays left-handed without reversing his strings, which is ridiculous. My favorite song by him: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xse34IZbCPk
>>
>>61207949
Well, Dick Dale certainly isn't one of those instantly recognizable rock icons like Slash, Jimi Hendrix, or Kurt Cobain, but anybody who knows who Dick Dale is KNOWS who he is and he is pretty universally praised for his contributions to rock
I wouldn't say he's underrated, just not known well enough. He still sounds pretty great live, even if his health is starting to deteriorate
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 252x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 252x300
>>61207949
Dick Dale on /mu/? Fuck yes.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-49f2qO2OPA

Also if you like him OP i would definitely check out The Shadows
>>
>>61207949
>plays lefty w/out reversing strings

So he plays a right handed guitar flipped the wrong way? Or does he play a lefty and string it backwards?
>>
>>61208101
Lefty strung backwards
>>
>>61207949

is that the spongebob font?
>>
>>61207949
him and Link Wray are the best guitarists that time forgot.
>>
>>61207949
DALE
>>
>yfw Misirlou is the first black metal song ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y3h9p_c5-M
>>
>>61208092
Know who they are, haven't listened to much of their stuff even though Apache is a great song.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 400x400
>>61208321
This is their best album. They were way ahead of their time on some of these tracks.
>>
Oh, c'mon. Who doesn't love Miserlou?
>>
>>61207949
He's probably the most underrated rock guitarist of all time, although there are dozens of absolutely genius guitarists in folk, jazz, and experimental musics that never ever ever get any kind of recognition from most non-esoteric presses. But yeah, Dick Dale did all kinds of things with the guitar that came to be really relevant in the next thirty years of rock music, and no one cares, so that's interesting
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.