[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck, why haven't I listened to this band sooner? This is dope.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
Fuck, why haven't I listened to this band sooner?

This is dope.
>>
>>61202858
>Swans album
>This is dope

I like this a lot better than hella fucking epic, can this be Swans' new meme?
>>
because youre a fucking pleb pigfuck
>>
>>61202858
I'm an 80's fag, but they reached their apex in the 90s. No other band could touch them. Beautiful and uplifting.
>>
File: swanschildrenofgod.jpg (312 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
swanschildrenofgod.jpg
312 KB, 500x500
>>61202858
listen to this next
>>
>>61202913

Will do.
>>
>>61202858
>>61202913
These are my favorite Swans albums.

They have a certain dark and claustrophobic sound to them that the other albums don't have.

I like Soundtracks, but it lacks Gira's dense LSD-frenzy prose and much of it is recycled tape drones, not up to par with the rest.
>>
>warm starts playing
>>
Is it just me, or do the slower tracks on this album have a very neofolk-ish sound?
>>
>>61202858
you should listen to Foo Fighters
>>
>>61203315
A lot of Gira's less rock-oriented music sounds like DI6 or Rome.
>>
Great Annihilator is one of their worst albums. Listen to Cop and Public Castration. Pussy.
>>
>>61203378

how fucking embarrassing
>>
Cop is probably my favorite
>>
>not with their first lp

why do people do this
>>
>>61203961
Cause early swans is 2deep4them
>>
>>61204085
>Cause early swans is 2deep4them
This is a laughable concept.

Early Swans is about replicating back breaking labor and basic human instincts.

Every artists progresses to be better than they previously were.
>>
>>61204128
Laughable concepts of people's intelligence and understanding of art are often the most true.
>>
>>61204158
>Laughable concepts of people's intelligence and understanding of art are often the most true.

If you believe this then provide examples instead of conjecture.
>>
>>61204252
Let's take what you're saying for example, early swans not being 2deep4anyone.
Most people seek instant gratification not something that they need to develop an understanding and appreciation for. Swans themselves are an example of something that most people would need to take an excessive amount of time to understand all their discography, and with something as harsh and aggressive as their first couple records (in comparison to pop music) no one in their right mind would have a real interest in it unless they are searching for something just like it.
>>
>it's a Jarboe track
>>
>>61204301
>and with something as harsh and aggressive as their first couple records (in comparison to pop music) no one in their right mind would have a real interest in it

But this is certainly not true. During the time that Gira was making this music it was not "inaccessible", it was absolutely loved by hardcore kids and all sorts of jocks and Gira wanted to move past it.

That is one of the main reasons why the band changed its sound by Children of God.

Swans was never trying to create more accessible music, that never factored into the equation. I think they have remained consistent throughout their discography, minus The Burning World and My Father, of course.
>>
>>61204354
I'm talking about modern kiddos not back then.
>>
>>61202858
SPINGO BLINK
>>
>>61204370
>I'm talking about modern kiddos not back then.
So you're just trying to alienate modern kiddos to prove to others how much of a special snowflake you are.

I don't give a shit, early Swans is primitive in conveying the same themes that have been present throughout their discog. Even the way that the drums on a more "accessible" record like White Light were mic'd shows that Swans wanted to create the same sort of aesthetic regardless of whatever genre they decided to experiment with.
>>
>>61204431
I'm not trying to alienate modern kids. I'm just saying manufactured music itself has alienated them from understanding and appreciating things beyond the surface level.
>>
>>61204446
Modern manufactured pop music**

I understand a lot of the same themes are present but it's not like a lot of other people would understand that only comprehending what is present on the surface.
>>
>>61204446
>I'm just saying manufactured music itself has alienated them from understanding and appreciating things beyond the surface level.

Music is a business, even those musicians with more artistic aspirations have to deal with this reality at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpqAkY62cgE

There is a lot of psychological conditioning involved with the industry.
>>
>>61203315
yes and also listen to his other band the angels of light at some point, it is sometimes very neofolk. i mean it is a folk band anyway
>>
>>61204337
the jarboe tracks are actually perfect in this album
>>
>>61203315
>>61205982
I never understood why people lumped Swans in with neofolk, Swans were doing stuff like that since Children of God, and neofolk involves a lot of talk of runes, and Europe, and satan and stuff over industrial music.
>>
>>61206010
>the jarboe tracks are actually perfect in this album
TGA has the best Jarboe tracks, some of them are even better than Gira's.
>>
>>61206879
idk jarboe tracks in children of god are pretty good too
>>
>>61206851
because it sounds similar musically i guess. and u know, what is stuff like that, its not normal folk either
>>
>>61207073
Neofolk is a bullshit label.
>>
>>61207209
we need a new label then
>>
>>61207696
>we need a new label then
No we don't, it's folk.

Calling it neofolk is superfluous marketing.
>>
>>61207724
how bout post-folk?
>>
>>61207724
traditional folk, folk rock, neofolk... what other folks are there even
>>
>>61206879
song for dead time is one of the best swans songs
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.