[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did I just listen to someone with no musical knowledge play around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 6
File: arca-mutant-album.png (906 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
arca-mutant-album.png
906 KB, 1200x1200
Did I just listen to someone with no musical knowledge play around in ableton for an hour?
>>
>muh you need to be a trained musician to be a creative meme

viPER yourself my man
>>
>>61187542
dis album is absolutely shit tho
>>
>>61187561
not even a fan of Arca but it most definitely is not shit
>>
>>61187622
Is 100% garbage you fucking TMT droning tryhard fuck
>>
>>61186933
album felt like the equivalent of somebody practicing their chops if that makes sense
each song felt like a long intro into something good but it never came
>>
>>61187622
off course it is if u think otherwise than pls leave dis place 4ever kid
>>
It's definitely something original. I've never heard industrial electronics like this before, and yeah it's pretty damn good
>>
>>61187699
Maybe listen to some Esplendor Geometrico kid
>>
>>61186933
this is EXACTLY what this project sounds like. and its a shame really because his Stretch EP's and &&&&& were amongst my fave listens at one point.
>>
>>61186933
is pic related? if so, no
>>
It feels like Arca is taking the easy way out by being as loud and destructive as possible. I'm more impressed by somebody like Jai Paul who manages to find a balance between the elements.
>>
i have no strong feelings for it either way, really. pure ambivalence.
>>
>>61188578
voice of your generation, m8
>>
File: 1449349131565.webm (3 MB, 720x450) Image search: [Google]
1449349131565.webm
3 MB, 720x450
>>
>>61188662
lel maybe. idk this whole "future grime" (that's what i've heard it being called - how stupid) with Arca, Lotic, Rabit, the list goes on, doesn't do anything for me really.
>>
heres the better version
>>
File: YOUHAVEBEENK_HOLED.png (20 KB, 555x404) Image search: [Google]
YOUHAVEBEENK_HOLED.png
20 KB, 555x404
>>61188765
it certainly is being 'thinged' isn't it though?
>>
>>61186933
You should be grateful for God, that this chilean guy, is not on his 100% shit, hes at his 2% potential, hes just playing, cooking the greatest work. The second coming of Mozart.
>>
>>61189223
>>
>>61186933
>no musical knowledge

What do you mean, he's a mastermind at sound
>>
I feel weird about this, on one hand an artist finally makes music exactly the way I've been wanting to listen too for a while, he hits the spot with this album, on the otherhand everyone else seems to hate it. It's atmospheric, sonically interesting, texturally pleasing, and ethereal to an extent
>>
>>61186933
I like Arca. He's one of the few electronic artists these days with his own distinct sound. I think he's ahead of our time, perhaps why not many like him. To imply he's an amateur is laughable, because he's one of the best producers of this decade so far.
>>
I would probably agree that Mutant drags on more than it should, but Alive is a GOAT opener.
>>
I liked this, it's like a Spacey more electronic Burial without drums
>>
>>61189531
Lol
>>
Bump
Why can't we discuss music on this board
>>
>>61189531
How is he like Burial at all? And
>more electronic
What does that even mean?
>>
>>61189531
yeah dude i love electronic music
Aphex Twin, Arca, Burial, the list could go on...
>>
at least arca tries something new listen to any artist on OVO and try and differentiate them.
>>
>>61189531
I gotta agree with the rest of the guys. Sounds nothing like Burial. Arca used original sounds and Burial, though he plays around with the ambience, uses a lot of samples in his music.
>>
>>61189824
Dude you need to listen to more music you know nada
>>
>>61190342
I think that would be you desu. Burials production is completely electronically based, so idk how Arca would be MORE electronic.

Also Arca has nothing in common with 2-step, or future garage, or house, or trance, unlike Burial. "Electronic" isn't a genre.
>>
>>61189531
dumbass of the day
>>
>>61189869

>at least arca tries something new listen to any artist on OVO and try and differentiate them

How can you bring Drake to this thread, Pusha T? nothing to do with that matter. Try again;
>>
by the time /mu/ hears of an an artist i just assume their glory days are long gone. swear this board never discusses ANY thing until their favorite normie blog says its okay to
>>
>>61190848
Arr you joking? Stretch 2 and &&&&& got discussed quite a bit. People stopped caring as much after Xen was a disappointment, but he's always been relatively popular.
>>
>>61190848
did arca ever have glory days tho. he had 2 pretty good releases
>>
i actually love 4chan everything is so fuckin frivolous but at the same time remarkably bleak

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes+1
>>
aoty senpai desu baka
>>
>>61189329
I don't love it, but I agree with you. He's like kind of like our generation's hip-hop version of Stockhausen.
>Did I just listen to someone with no musical knowledge play around with a sine wave generator for an hour?
>>
>>61192290
how is he like stockhausen in any way
>>
>>61191751

desu senpai cuck
>>
>>61187874
you just like simple minded music... stop saying complex, less immediate music is the easy way out. no hes trying the hard way. it would be easy for him to continue making soundcloud trap beats like stretch, instead he chooses to take the hard path of breaking down berriers and treading unmapped land.
>>
>>61192395
What barriers has he broken down? What unmapped land has he traversed?
>>
>>61187770
thanks for the rec senpai
>>
>>61186933
arca's sound design is fantastic though
but yeah i wasn't feeling this one as much as his previous releases. &&&&& was his opus imo. i want more hip hop and trap inspired weirdness
>>
>>61192639
i think he'll reach his peak once he combines the two.

this ultra weird, noisy, and industrial yet grotesquely organic sound design but with maybe a bit more of the hip hop edge that he had on older releases. that would be sweet.
>>
>>61192395
What the hell are you even talking about? I said "easy" because I know exactly how to reproduce the sonical textures Arca creates, hence why it doesn't really impress me. Jai, on the other hand, complely baffles me with his ability to balance simplicity and complexity. Jasmine (Demo) has harder bass than any trap song, yet is still more mellow than any slow song. If that's your idea of "simple minded" you should eat your keyboard and never share an opinion on this website again.
>>
>>61192395
>>61187874
i don't really understand what either of you mean desu. he's an artist, he makes the music he makes because he wants to.
what "way out" exactly?
>>
>>61193601
I said "it feels" because it was my subjective opinion, being somebody that knows exactly how to stretch and destroy things sonically like Arca does. I don't know what the fuck the other guy was trying to say, but apparently he thinks it's the objective truth.
>>
>>61188800
my nigga

"Bravado" is a jam
>>
>>61193682
I agree with you. I have AIDS btw
>>
did the committee decide on this resolution?
>>
I thought this was a 7/10, but name some electronic releases that have been more interesting / daring / creative in the last couple of years. It's pretty dry, family.

Arca is not a genius or pioneering anything, but it's still a breath of fresh air.
>>
>>61195182
Yes
>>
>>61186933
Yes. I tried listening to this since it gets posted so much on /mu/ (500,000,000 /mu/tants can't be wrong, amirite?) and it's just laughably bad. It's not even music. And not in the same way noise is not even music.
>>
>>61196132
How is it not music?
>>
File: evolved laughter.png (39 KB, 520x536) Image search: [Google]
evolved laughter.png
39 KB, 520x536
>>61188732
my eyes are tearing up
>>
>>61187664
yeah this perfectly describes Arca so far
he has a lot of potential but doesn't seem to wanna take the time to really finish a song. hence he has tons of material that is all prologue.

the title track of Mutant is pretty GOAT tho, that alone gives me hope that there's better stuff to come

the thing is i totally think that if arca was a straight man he would not be getting any real press whatosever, since all the publications focus on his queerness more than the music. i think that could be why his stuff comes off as underwhelming so much, he just doesn't feel a huge need to do better since he's already got that p4k approval/yeezy $$$
>>
>>61196886
you think so? as a lgbt person myself i often hate how most queer musicians are more known for the fact that they're queer and not necessarily for the music they make (which i often find pretty lacking) but it didnt seem as bad with arca from the press i read about him. plus i actually enjoy his music
>>
>>61189381
but it still just sounds like dancey tunes for homos.
>>
>>61192343
all contemporary digital music is and will be 'like stockhausen' by default given that it can easily do on accident with software what he struggled to invent, theorize, and perform with hardware and live musicians.
>>
>>61196970
>plus i actually enjoy his music
lol you gay
>>
>>61196886
>the thing is i totally think that if arca was a straight man he would not be getting any real press whatosever
I mean, you could maybe make this point more if there were any other people who are making music exactly like him, but he's pretty unique (obv you have Lotic and Rabit but Lotic started afterwards and Rabit is more grime influenced). Because he's rather singular in some ways, it makes me think the attention is more merit/talent based.
>>
>>61197099
That's silly
>>
>>61197197
dont mean it aint true.
>>
>>61197225
I don't think the means artists use necessarily defines what they're doing or their creative process. Obviously with Stockhausen it was very much a part of what he was trying to accomplish, but most musicians aren't really thinking about the more logistical or technical and mathematical side of the software their using. It's almost more like the programers or creator's of things like MAX and other DAWs are more directly correlated with Stockhausen, but most musicians don;t seem to take his approach to composition and formalism, so to compare them to him by 'default' just based on the tools they use seems rather reductive.
>>
>>61197361
of course its reductive
>>
>>61186933
he actually is formally trained at composition and studied audio engineering at nyu. hes a rich kid who has been making music for 10+ years.

if you actually think this album is bad, then i just don't know what to tell u... btw, everything is intentional and just because its a new, unstructured sound that you are uncomfortable with doesn't mean its in any way bad. listen to it a couple more times and listen to it in different ways.
>>
>>61197385
Alright.
>>
Like way way way better than xen still pretty garbage tho
>>
>>61196886
literally nobody talks about his sexuality and gay isn't a new thing. when frank ocean came out, sexuality was a thing.

arca is popular because of his affiliations with established, well-respected musicians.

he doesn't even get a ton of press compared to artists like grimes and mac demarco
>>
>>61197439
but this m8: >>61197084
but so does arthur russell and i love him
>>
>>61197468
you think this album is a "dance" record?
>>
>>61187664
agreed
>>
>>61197478
well, i only listened to some of it, but yeah
>>
>>61197463
Yeah, he did that interview with Pitchfork for Mutant and that was one of the first big interviews he's done in a long, long time. In fact, he barely does any because he's apparently not happy with how he comes across in print and doesn't think it reflects the music. He's hardly rolling in press.
>>
>>61197491
i honestly don't see how
>>
>>61197491
to be completely honest, i don't think you listened to the album at all. why talk? i love album discussion but seriously, whats the point?

>>61197499
my point was that sexuality is not a big deal anymore in music pop culture
>>
>>61197556
i was agreeing with u but mostly trying to add to your 3rd point
>>
>>61197556
just ignore him
either a troll or a very ignorant dadrocker/redditor
or he/she says that cus mutant is mostly idm idunno
>my point was that sexuality is not a big deal anymore in music pop culture
yes and no
its less of a big deal now when people come out or when they mention their interest in the same sex but people still love reading and talkin about this shit imo
>>
>>61197745
i think it's more that people and publications are less into talking about sexuality in that "pop culture" way and more into writing about it in an academic sense. lots of talk of deconstruction/subversion and postmodern critique and thought.
>>
I fucking hate the album cover for this.
>>
>>61197797
whatever the case may be it will generate buzz and thats good for anyone whos trying to get his or her name out there
general people and mainstream media are still gonna care about trivial shit like this for the rest of the decade and probably next decade as well
2bh all this equality crap has become a bit excessive now imo
>>61197814
he knows that avant-tumbloids are his audience so i wasnt surprised when i saw it for the first time
hes extremely aware of everything hes doin
too bad it makes his music contrived and self righteous sounding i.e. fuckin terrible
>>
>>61196132
How is this not music but noise is?
>>
Xen is better than that bloated crap.
>>
This fucking board I swear...
>>
Its a great album but /mu/ wont like it until it gets labelled post op trapwave, sounds similar to a handful of dean blunts/opns, develops a dated a e s t h e t i c and gets a great melon review. Im still excited to hear what he does next, the progressions are cool but id like a long, morphing song like &&&&&&&
>>
>>61197491
wtf m8, most of the time there arent even anything resembling drums in those tracks, much less a dance-y beat. what album did u listen to
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.