[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this garbage in so many end of the year lists?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: barnett2.jpg (59 KB, 745x745) Image search: [Google]
barnett2.jpg
59 KB, 745x745
Why is this garbage in so many end of the year lists?
>>
bc the author liked it
>>
indie guud

indie fuun
>>
I mean she's got personality
It's fun music but unlike other "fun music" like Young Thug and Future it has great lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds
>>
like seriously lyric of the year has got to be
>give me all your money and I'll make some origami honey
>>
le quirky indie feminism singer songwriter music for eating your veggie burgers and being quirky and indie
>>
>>61178534
What's wrogn with the cover?

Post the pasta
>>
my guess is because she has that lazy, underachieving, dumpy & down-to-earth indie rocker image working for her, and that's not typically something associated with females

and deviating from conventional female personality tropes/molds is totally en vogue this year
>>
ITT: a bunch of tryhard NEETs along with their king Malcolm avoid having fun at all costs
>>
>>61178625
How is a whiny hipster dyke in any way fun
>>
>>61178635
>whiny hipster dyke
How old are you?
>>
>>61178555
but unlike young thug and future you're not going to play courtney barnett at a party
>>
File: roger fedora.png (353 KB, 454x539) Image search: [Google]
roger fedora.png
353 KB, 454x539
>>61178534
>>
i'm glad the amerifats are slowly starting to claim her
>>
pedestrian at best is a great song, come on.
>>
>>61178610
>>61178574
This. She's basically lesbian female Mac DeMarco, of course that shit will sell. It's still a good album.
>>
>>61178572

What a godawful line
>>
I cannot begin to describe the disdain I have for this sort of music. To be honest, if I focus really hard on the instruments, shut out the vocals and pretend that they were being sung by someone tolerable and with lyrics that aren’t embarrassing, I can potentially see why this isn’t bad. But the truth is that she is there, she is awful, she is unbearably moronic and she does ruin any little bits of skill that the drums or guitars bring in. After one of my friends declared Barnett his “new waifu” I decided to check this out, and after confronting him about this absolute nonsense, he made a comment along the likes of only enjoying it to impress girls at parties. This album is exactly the sort of think that those teenage girls who listen to “indie” as an image or a statement would lap up. They’ll talk about the bad vocals as “dylan-esque”, and will break into singing quotes from the frankly embarrassing lyrics whenever they can, because they’re SO ME XD, snapping up lines like “I want to wash out my head with turpentine cyanide” as if they’re extremely meaningful poetry. And jesus, I haven’t even mentioned the accent. If there was ever a convincing case for a nuke heading right to the middle of Australia’s eastern coast, this is it. An album filled with nonsense psuedo-meaningful ‘indie’ lyricism, complete with an image you’d expect one of those Sundance films advertised as indie (but actually aren’t), mostly forgettable instrumentation and songwriting, and one of the worst voices you’ve ever heard. Is there anything worse?
>>
>>61178572
I think you're a joke, but I don't find you very funny
>>
First time I've heard of it. I have been away from /mu/ and not noticed anyone mention it.

So maybe the answer is: because /mu/ likes to bicker endlessly over things that aren't good or bad, but just mediocre, until opinions are polarised.
>>
>>61178732
How is it awful? Please do explain.
>>61178761
Gallifrey's so awful.
>>
She's literally a female Stephen Malkmus
>>
>>61178761
Accurate

>>61178817
You are awful
>>
File: image.jpg (271 KB, 1154x1158) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
271 KB, 1154x1158
Here's a good aussie album for this year.

Drunk Mums > all.
>>
>>61178657
this is the worst post ive ever seen on /mu/
>>
I agree 100%.
She's not good, the lead son pedestrian at best is simply trash
>>
>>61178610
That's been an image since Liz Phair.

Elevator Operator is one of the SOTYs, her melodies are amazing and some lyrics too.

"The paramedic thinks I'm clever 'cause I play guitar, I think she's clever 'cause she stops people dying" is an amazing line.
>>
>>61178657
party music should not be considered a serious artform and should not be in consideration for end of the year lists unless the lists have to do with party music
>>
>>61178534
Pedestrian at best is the only good track
>>
good marketing? the music's nothing special and a few funny lines don't justify the success she's had this year
>>
>>61178761

>"If there was ever a convincing case for a nuke heading right to the middle of Australia’s eastern coast, this is it. An album filled with nonsense psuedo-meaningful ‘indie’ lyricism, complete with an image you’d expect one of those Sundance films advertised as indie (but actually aren’t), mostly forgettable instrumentation and songwriting, and one of the worst voices you’ve ever heard."

This 2bh
>>
>>61179650
i third this
>>
>>61179410
>"The paramedic thinks I'm clever 'cause I play guitar, I think she's clever 'cause she stops people dying" is an amazing line.

sounds like a shitty 80s standup comedy bit lmao
>>
>>61179465
>good marketing? the music's nothing special and a few funny lines don't justify the success she's had this year

Everything comes down to marketing in the music industry.
>>
>>61179696
or any industry, really
>>
File: 12.png (437 KB, 1508x1158) Image search: [Google]
12.png
437 KB, 1508x1158
>"Sometimes is full of wry epics..."
>"Professional" music critics
>>
>>61179860

i could make it so big in the critic business

its almost exactly the same thing as this damn board but youre not allowed to call anybody autistic
>>
>>61179908

You also can't be racist or sexist anon.
>>
>>61179974

stfu gook bitch
>>
>>61179908
>>61179974
or homophobic or transphobic
>>
>>61180108

fag
>>
There is nothing wrong with this album.
>>
Because her album is a good example of making simplicity work. Most of the songs are fairly simple but they never feel lazy made or boring and are effectively written. Her accent, her attitude, the way she sings, and the way she writes gives her a very unique "flavor" to say that sets her apart from other musicians and is very appealing to some. It may not be the greatest album I've ever heard but it certainly is an effective album that has it's own unique style that will make it stick out and be memorable. There are also just some plain good songs on here: I specifically liked Elevator Operator and Depreston
>>
fucking hate that album
>>
Why is /mu/ afraid of empowered, independent women?
>>
>>61181457

fuck off, ive been into norah jones & dido since before i googled my first boob
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.