[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Now, I understand that Grunge fans will feel that this is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: mzgMQmBeBwil.jpg (104 KB, 594x446) Image search: [Google]
mzgMQmBeBwil.jpg
104 KB, 594x446
>Now, I understand that Grunge fans will feel that this is an ignorant statement, but lets be fair, because asides from Alice in Chains who used odd time signatures to a creative effect, there wasn’t much going for Grunge. Take the example of when Def Leppard performed live unplugged on an American radio station, singing in harmony. The DJ said, ‘That was incredible’, to which Joe replied: ‘you must be a product of the nineties. There is nothing incredible about three guys singing in tune.’
>>
>>61175283
>t. bitter dadrocker or slut in her mid-forties who couldn't get every hole filled during gangbangs by hair metal bands

Grunge wasn't the best thing ever, but culturally, it brought the focus of mainstream music to songwriters, underground movements, and people who were interested in art instead of selling out stadiums and sucking the fat jew dick of the recording industry.
>>
>hair metal was any better
>all those songs had the same exact chord progressions, shredder solos, and lyrical subject matter

Man, the late 80s was a dismal, dark period for mainstream rock.
>>
All grunge bands aside from nirvana are fucking absolute shit.
Still better than any hair-metal/glam-rock band, but not by far
>>
Joe Elliot somehow thinks that DL were the 80s Led Zeppelin.

Come on, dude. Seriously?
>>
>>61175455
It did happen to alternative rock of course after it had run out of gas and gotten turned into the cookie cutter Nickelback/Godsmack crap which was all assembly line songs with identical chord progressions and Eddie Vedder impersonator vocals.
>>
>>61175513
>when music is mainstream for too long it becomes shit

More news at eleven.
>>
>>61175486
Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, and Melvins seem to disprove your statement.
>>
>>61175523
Of course...I mean, pop punk in 1994 =/= Nine Days, Simple Plan, and all that fake garbage from the early 2000s.
>>
File: Biography-Guns-N-Roses-LF.jpg (114 KB, 768x432) Image search: [Google]
Biography-Guns-N-Roses-LF.jpg
114 KB, 768x432
everyone blames nirvana for killing hair metal but really it was guns and roses.
Hair metal was overbloated and wasnt even metal anymore, guys were using acoustic guitars and shit.

The out of nowhere YOU IN THE JUNGLE BABY YOU GONNA DIEEEEEEEE
>>
Hair metal at one point was also a legit, grassroots music movement - Shout At The Devil and Metal Health were balls-to-the-wall rock albums. Realistically, it died in 1985 and everything that passed for glam rock in 86-91 was just the fumes coming from the corpse.
>>
>>61175523
That's the kind of attitude that made Grunge shit. People actually link being mainstream and making anything other than sad songs to the actual quality music.

The music was fine, some great, but man that toxic attitude. It's put more barriers on rock than it took off. It's not "We can be sad too" it's "We must be sad" now, it's not "Hey, you can scream in rock" now it's "No good singing allowed". It just turned shit right back round from glam and gave us chocolate covered shit instead of vanilla covered shit. It didn't even eliminate poses, it just created a new fashion for the poseurs to adopt.
>>
>>61175550
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOi3HcvKvbQ
>>
>>61175565
Wrong. People thinking it was mainstream didn't fuck grunge over, it was actually being mainstream that did.

After Pearl Necklace gained a million copycats and every kid started wearing flannel, the genre coughed up it's last blood clot and bit the dust.
>>
>>61175570
Yeah...that was the same point I made in >>61175562. He's talking about how the early 80s glam rock got perverted into a bad parody of itself in the second half of the decade.
>>
"Rappers are the new rock stars. They ride around in a limo, they flash big stacks of money around, they have girls hanging off their arms. I mean, we all love that, right? They make you want to be them. The point is that rock stars aren't supposed to be ordinary people. And then, at some point, they became ordinary people, the music got bland, it sucked, and everyone stopped caring about it."

-- Gene Simmons
>>
The point where it all started going downhill was in fact with Dep Leppard, specifically Pyromania because on that album, Mutt Lange pioneered this super-slick, polished, synthetic sound that you could practically eat off of. Everyone copied it and the results speak for themselves.
>>
>>61175622
rap is already super fag music with young thug and drake fag niggers.
EDM is the new rock.
Also gene simmons is a dumb kike who only cares about money
>>
>>61175642
Three sentences and two racial slurs. I like the cut of this guy's jibs.
>>
>>61175642
Well, yeah. I mean, rap had stopped meaning anything real after 50 Cent came along.
>>
>>61175622
Hip hop is already declining. EDM stuff is exploding, and has been for years. Rappers use electronic producers for their albums, rock bands like Imagine Dragons and Muse use electronic sounds in their hit singles.

EDM stars are the modern rockstars. In the 80s it was hair metal bands, in the 90s it was popstars, in the 2000s it was rappers. Rap, like rock and metal, has already moved underground--that's where you find the best rappers making good music.
>>
>>61175603
Too bad that Twisted Sister tends to get lumped in with those fag bands like White Lion mostly because 99% of people have only heard their 1-2 radio hits.
>>
>>61175642
That may be kind of true, although Gene Simmons was as disgusted with the late 80s as anyone else and he said AFD was a breath of fresh air back then.
>>
>>61175283

nirvana used odd time signatures.
Beeswax.

fuck def leppard.
>>
>>61175869
4/4 nigga
>>
>>61175675
>Metal has moved underground

XD nice joke
>>
>>61176026
Explain bb. I mean, if you consider hair metal to be "metal", than it was mainstream. But you're not gonna hear battlecross or skeletonwitch on the radio (and that's a good thing).
>>
>>61176042
So you didn't hear Megadeth on the radio back in the day either. Your point?
>>
>>61175283
Hey OP, what has nine arms and sucks ass beyond compare?

Def Leppard
>>
>>61176966
Well, you did in the 90s after they got more commercial.

>>61177041
Leppard's first two albums are pretty solid NWOBM, unfortunately they then sold out to the MTV teenybopper audience.
>>
>>61175283
>>on through the night is there best album, they where a better band when they where nwobhm
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.