[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 1450629265032[1].jpg (20 KB, 312x471) Image search: [Google]
1450629265032[1].jpg
20 KB, 312x471
>"Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical 'adulthood'. To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside 'mere' rock music. This ostentatious display of 'sophistication' is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call 'jazz'. There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere. Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the 'free' zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom — sounds good. The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the disappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap."

B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
File: transparent and tedious.jpg (154 KB, 1175x422) Image search: [Google]
transparent and tedious.jpg
154 KB, 1175x422
>>
Is that Albini? This sounds like something he would say.
>>
Is that Matt Talbot?
>>
>>61169606
>don the cap
was that a veiled fedora joke
>>
File: 2.png (397 KB, 512x471) Image search: [Google]
2.png
397 KB, 512x471
>le stilts man
>>
Albini's music sucks lmao
>>
>>61169606
>granted total freedom, you've chosen to turn the treble to 10 and play power chords and harmonics really fast?
>>
>>61169955
Better than jazz desu
>>
Jazz fans 100% mad in this ITT
>>
>>61169955
everybody laugh at this pleb who can't into purely produced noise rock
>>
you could say the same about rock. it would probably be more accurate actually tbqh familia
>>
>>61169955
agreed
>>
>>61169955
wrong
>>
he is just mad he can't into jazz
>>
shellac is the only albini that has manage to mae a consistent album 2bh
>>
>>61169606
he could have just said "i don't like jazz" and saved five ten minutes
>>
>>61170322
*band that has managed to make
>>
>>61169606
What is he talking about? Who is this rant directed at? He can't be talking about Coltrane, Parker, Davis, Monk; their music is culturally significant and complex we know that. To say jazz is absolutely free is sign he's never actually played it either
>>
it's not even limited or completely related to jazz, but i just hate the attitude that if you don't like or enjoy or "understand" a genre of music, or if it doesn't resonate with you, that clearly every one else must like it under false pretenses or is somehow faking it. i like albini's work, but i don't really see how people can defend this fallacious line of thinking/perspective.
>>
>>61170353
>Albini
>hasn't played jazz
Who would have thought.
>>
>>61169606
This is exactly why I disregard all things albini says that have nothing to do with sound engineering.

He's a pretentious prick.
>>
>>61169955
Albini dont have bad albums m8. Big Black, Rapeman, Shellac. All great discography.
>>
File: MI0000363755.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0000363755.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
His big gripe about jazz was that the interesting parts were so few and far between that they barely compensated his sustained attention for the parts he found boring. Thing is, it's not hard to find jazz that resonates up to the present.

Then again, part of this is Albini's anxiety that the subculture he serves/is a part of could leach membership to some other scene he views as needlessly pretentious (read: exclusionary)

I'm glad he's protective of what he's accomplished, and helped others to achieve. But any time I hear him complain about any kind of music, I tune him out. (He downplayed the Pixies and Nirvana back when he was playing up his "asshole" persona. He's since distanced himself from those statements.)

We're all welcome to our own opinions. The fact he's a quasi-celebrity magnifies his own opinions a thousand fold; but it doesn't make them any more valid than your own. Judge for yourself if his ideas about jazz ring true to you. Simply accepting his opinions at face value is basically letting someone else think for you.
>>61169606
>B A S E D
>A
>S
>E
>D
Did you drink the kool-aid?
>>
>>61169606
Trust an American pastrypuff to scoff at hash and lentil soup.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.