[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
After like 40 or 50 listens I'm convinced this is her best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: joanna-newsom-divers.jpg (153 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
joanna-newsom-divers.jpg
153 KB, 480x480
After like 40 or 50 listens I'm convinced this is her best album.

Anyone else feel this way?
>>
It's my AOTY.
>>
Does she still sound like lil from rugrats on this one?
>>
>>61168979
MEM - 8.3
Ys- 9.9
HOOM - 8.9
Divers - 9.3

not quite as good as Ys, but still really fucking good, I also think its her most accessible album yet
>>
DJ AARON ELLIS
>>
>>61169080

>rating on a 100 point scale

Come on dude...
>>
>>61168979
I thought that too, but I went back and listened to Ys and there is no competition.
>>
>>61169096
I find it makes making topster charts ALOT easier, I only do it for above 7.0s, below that I don't bother
>>
cant believe people like this crazy harp lady :/
>>
>>61168979
I don't think it's better than Ys, but I'd say it's probably her second best. Good Intentions Paving Company made me have to think about it though, such a perfect song.
>>
>>61169121

Anyway I think it's more like

MEM - 8.5 (imo all 4 of her albums are a 10 but objectively)
Ys - 9
HOOM - 9
Divers - 9.5
>>
>>61168979
I feel the same way. I love how diverse it is.
>>
>>61169215
>>61169207

I feel like Same Old Man and A Pin Light Bent alone prevent Divers from being better than Ys. For me the album is undoubtedly front-loaded, even if Time as a symptom and You Will Not Take My Heart Alive are great songs.

I honestly don't think Joanna will ever make anything was great as Ys for me. But I'm ok with that
>>
>>61169286

A Pin Light Bent is one of the high points of the album you fucking piece of human waste.
>>
>>61168979

yes

Ys has all the kinda spunk and indulgence of a BFA student's thesis, and it's beautiful and impressive and Only Skin is a masterpiece. but in terms of clarity and support and examination of themes, of concepts, of sounds, Divers is in a different league. not that it's not still spunky and indulgent, but it's so careful and measured and layered in a very rare way.
>>
>>61169286
>>61169300
Yeah A Pin Light Bent is one of my favs
>>
can we agree though that this is her most accessible album to date?
>>
>>61169332
I'd give Joanna some spunk, if you know what I mean.
>>
HOOM>Divers>Ys>MEM

Any other ranking is wrong
>>
>>61169402
Give me some too if you know what I mean :^)
>>
>>61169613

I don't think HOOM is better than Divers. All of her albums are very good though and, and within 0.5-1 point of each other, aside from maybe MEM, though I think /mu/ posters underrate MEM which is a really charming and unique album.
>>
>>61169613
>Ys
>less than HOOM

lmao
>>
my fav joanna newson song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH_8521bePM
>>
>>61169702
better than Comus and Joanna combined
>>
>>61168979
Would've been better if she had Neal Morgan do all the percussions,

Which is why HOOM is still my favorite.
>>
Don't you guys find it ironic that she is married to a man who makes music out to be a joke?
Her husband is the polar opposite of her music wise but yet that doesn't diminish her credibility among you autistic mongoloids?
>>
>>61168979
I feel you should leave /mu/ and die.
>>
>>61169902
>what she does in her personal life makes her music shit

Sorry for your intellectual disability
>>
>>61169981
Go jizz in your pants, hombre.
>>
>>61170042
Build wall
>>
I feel like I'm the only one who thought that the mid part of the album was completely skippable. Tracks 4-8 (maybe not 5). A lot of it feels bland. Anecdotes, Leaving the City, and Pin-light Bend are some of the best things I've heard this year.
>>
File: kb.jpg (208 KB, 996x1024) Image search: [Google]
kb.jpg
208 KB, 996x1024
what are your guys' favorite Kate Bush songs/albums?

I feel like there would be a lot of overlap btwn Kate and Joanna fans due to their unique voices, progressive song structures/instrumentation, and their heavy references to literature. I've only listened through Hounds of Love so far, but im checking The Dreaming next and then The Kick Inside.
This is one of the best songs i've ever heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxqZYe90--c
>>
>>61171280
nah goose eggs and 101 are amazing
>>
>>61171458
haven't tried, should I start with hounds of love?
>>
>>61171458
suspended in gaffa is my favorite song of hers. cloudbusting is my top pick from hounds of love
>>
>>61171596
That's what i did and it was pretty rewarding, most people consider it to be her best.
>>
>>61171458
check out never for ever, that one's super sick, i love babooshka and violins
>>
>>61168979
At 40 or 50 listens, you're too invested to be trusted.
>>
>>61171458
Listen to the Dreaming, it's her best and IMO probably the most stunning pop album ever
>>
I've had The Things I Say on repeat for a while and i'm starting to feel so bad about myself, man.

>There's an old trick played
>When the light and the wine conspire
>To make me think I'm fine
>I'm not, but I have got half a mind
>To maybe get there, yet

;_;
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.