[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck do the different waves of post rock mean?? Why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: get out of my morgue.png (109 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
get out of my morgue.png
109 KB, 200x200
What the fuck do the different waves of post rock mean?? Why don't other genres have waves?

answer me bitch
>>
Heavy Metal has waves too I think
>>
1st wave post-rock is distinguished as post-rock that isn't actually post-rock. They're other genres that just happen to fall into the category. 2nd wave post-rock is post-rock that is fully devoted to the style and there's no ambiguity to it. 3rd wave is just 3rd wave, don't worry about it.
>>
>>61167804
Loads of genres have waves.
>math rock
>punk
>hardcore
>metalcore
>math-rock
>prog rock
>prog metal
>shoegaze
>emo
>screamo

'Wave' is to do with generations.
The first wave is the defining wave, before the first wave you often have the 'proto' bands.
Examples:
Slint - First wave math rock, defining band for the genre
My Bloody Valentine - both 'proto shoegaze' as their first releases set the foundations for what was to come, then First Wave shoegaze together with Slowdive, Ride and so on
Explosions In The Sky - third wave post-rock, really shit band that have not improved on the first two waves and are at this point simply copycats, often genres run their course in the third wave as this is the point at which artists begin copying without as much creative input.
>>
>>61167950
this is wrong
1st wave post rock is still post-rock, same with any genres. It's the bands that come before the first wave that are the 'proto' bands.
Punk is a great example: You had Iggy And The Stooges who were a 'proto-punk' band, not quite punk,
but it was the Sex Pistols who defined first-wave punk, and they built on the foundations that Iggy had set.
>>
>>61168076
>>61168136
also I'm not actually 'Alec' I just impersonate him in other threads because he doesn't know what tripcodes are and I forget to take the name out of the field.
>>
this is the dumbest thread on this board right now.

I hope all of you have brains that still have the capacity to grow and change because otherwise you should consider ending your lives.
>>
File: Post_rock_essentials.jpg (425 KB, 990x1716) Image search: [Google]
Post_rock_essentials.jpg
425 KB, 990x1716
Some other genres have waves, see ska. Some others just have "revivals", see post-punk and garage rock. Some just have different sounds in different eras, but don't have specific names for these sounds, see RnB.

Please try to be more polite in the future.
>>
>>61167804
post rock isn't a real genre. it's a bullshit umbrella term that technically applies to any type of guitar music that doesn't sound like traditional rock. not to say there aren't some good genres that fall under this category, but it's way too broad to be a legitimate music genre. it's like saying anything with an accordion in it is accordion-core. it's just useless categorization so hipsters can say they like some obscure type of music
>>
>>61169788
meant to say
>not to say there aren't some good albums that fall under this category
>>
>>61169788
this pretty much
>>
>>61167804
Industrial has waves
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.