[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is a classic whether you like it or not.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
You can continue to throw your buzzwords at the screen like spoiled toddlers but the fact remains: this album HAS and will continue to change music as we know it and be remembered as time passes.

Nobody has ever made such a charismatic, intelligent, insightful, innovative and creative album since MBDTF or Illmatic. Furthermore, you can continue to hate this by proclaiming it's "pro-black", but the fact remains, it's so much more than that. It's honest. It's emotional, it's vulnerable. It's as real as it gets for hip-hop in 2015.

It's very experimental and not many will give it a chance because it doesn't "bang in the whip" but furthermore, it truly deserves all the acclaim it has and will get in the future.

Hate all you want, you know objectively it's 10/10. The instrumentation, lyricism and concept are like no other.
>>
>>61167752
Faggot
>>
>>61167752
>this album HAS and will continue to change music as we know
I know, that's what I'm afraid of.
>>
>>61167752
>lyricism
>I SENT THAT BITCH A PICTURE OF MY DICK
kek
>>
>>61167791

Let's not make up lines or cherry pick now.

Here's an example of the high caliber of lyricism:

I been wrote off before, I got abandonment issues
I hold grudges like bad judges, don’t let me resent you
That’s not Nelson-like, want you to love me like Nelson
I went to Robben’s Island analysing, that’s where his cell is
So I could find clarity, like how much you cherish me
Is this relationship a fake or real as the heavens be?
See I got to question it all, family, friends, fans, cats, dogs
Trees, plants, grass, how the wind blow
Murphy’s Law, generation X, will I ever be your X?
Floss off a baby step, mauled by the mouth of
Pit bulls, put me under stress
Crawled under rocks, ducking y’all, it’s respect
But then tomorrow, put my back against the wall
How many leaders you said you needed then left ‘em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shoot or you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, it’s Michael Jackson, oh

When shit hit the fan, is you still a fan?
That nigga gave us Billie Jean, you say he touched those kids?
>>
>rap only white people listen to core
>>
>Nobody has ever made such a charismatic, intelligent, insightful, innovative and creative album since MBDTF or Illmatic
that shit just isn't true
>>
I agree with most of your points concerning influence and status, except for being experimental.

It took most of the tropes found in hiphop and just crystallized them.
>>
>>61167833
aren't you also cherry picking tho
>>
>>61167791
>it's sexual so it can't be poetry
fucking pleb
>>
>>61167960
oh it is poetry
it's bad poetry tho lol
>>
>>61167912
it's not cherry-picking if you leave the general context intact

the idea is a single cherry won't give you a sense of the cherry tree

here the guy you're talking to has cut off a branch

still not a perfect representation of the tree, but it gives you a better sense of it than a cherry
>>
>>61167999
>it's informal so it can't be good poetry
same comment
>>
>>61168169
it's bad because it's shallow big boy you know that
>>61168017
yes
>>
>mainstream
>pitchfork 9.3
>theneedledrop 10
>tfw i listen to TRUE conscious hip hop like Apakalypse and Dalek

they're so caught up in the social apparatus of an album that they view music as just a meme. they see the album as a meme and diss on it solely for that.

just because an artist has more than 100 followers on soundcloud doesn't mean he sold out to corporation and lost artistic sense.
>>
>>61167853
>if i don't praise it to heavens they will think i'm a racist core
>>
>>61168204
it's a Kanye lyric anyway bruh

Kendrick does the DICK AINT FREE stuff instead which is in fact not at all shallow
>>
>>61167752
> This album is a classic whether you like it or not.
> Furthermore, you can continue to hate this by proclaiming it's "pro-black", but the fact remains, it's so much more than that. It's honest. It's emotional, it's vulnerable. It's as real as it gets for hip-hop in 2015.
I agree with that.

I don't think My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is all it's cracked up to be though, and To Pimp a Butterfly isn't "very experimental", it's just experimental in all the right ways. A lot of the hype it received is due to its message and the context (Black Lives Matter), but even without that it would have been a great album.

Now, "objectively 10/10" — no. That's meaningless.

>>61167833
>That nigga gave us Billie Jean, you say he touched those kids?
I don't think he did, but he could very well have done both. People aren't all good or all bad. Off-topic but since you quoted it I might as well say it.
>>
>>61167853
is this supposed to be an insult?
>>
>get a bunch of jazz musicians to do what they do on all their own albums
>but it has a guy talking over it
REVOLUTIONARY
>>
It was solid and perhaps very good but it lacked what made GKMC something memorable/special.
>>
>>61168470
I know I was only pretending to be retarded
I never even listened to tpab
>>
>>61168204
How in any way is this album shallow?
>>
>>61168559
>I never even listened to tpab
I think we have to accept that people bashing this album have often been thus
>>
>>61168581

Clearly as they don't respect hip-hop culture.

This album is purely flawless and only imbeciles deny that. It's avant-garde in all the right ways and I love how unique it is.
>>
>>61167752
It's definitely a fantastic album. It's easily AOTY material, possibly in the top 25 albums of this decade so far. Definitely not a 10 though.
>>
Rap game is dead.

UGLY killed it.

Only thing left is a corpse being picked on by cultural vultures.
>>
File: Cmtv8-gm.jpg (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Cmtv8-gm.jpg
32 KB, 400x400
Good goyim!
>>
WE WUZ KINGZ N SHEEIT
>>
>>61167752
>criticize buzzworders
>post is 80% adjectives
>>
>>61168623

How is not flawless?
>>
Is it acceptable to respect this album for what it is, maybe even agree that it is 9/10 or even 10/10. But not put it on your end of the year lists? There are at least 25 albums that I enjoyed listening to way more than this
>>
>>61168759

Name the albums.
>>
File: Grimes_-_Art_Angels.png (145 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Grimes_-_Art_Angels.png
145 KB, 300x300
You can continue to throw your buzzwords at the screen like spoiled toddlers but the fact remains: this album HAS and will continue to change music as we know it and be remembered as time passes.

Nobody has ever made such a charismatic, intelligent, insightful, innovative and creative album since Homogenic or Kala. Furthermore, you can continue to hate this by proclaiming it's a product of "poptimism", but the fact remains, it's so much more than that. It's honest. It's emotional, it's vulnerable. It's as real as it gets for progressive pop in 2015.

It's very experimental and not many will give it a chance because Grimes is an easy target to make fun of, but furthermore, it truly deserves all the acclaim it has and will get in the future.

Hate all you want, you know objectively it's 10/10. The instrumentation, lyrics and concept are like no other.
>>
This album is a 10 to me and AOTY but seriously stop with these fucking posts.
>>
>>61168770
kek/10
>>
>>61168765
For the sake of not writing a novel just name like 10 lol Shadow of a doubt, Oblivion Access, Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress, Divers, Garden of Delete, Carrie & Lowell, Darkest Before Dawn, I Dont Like Shit, M3LL155X, Vulnicura

Hell I even liked stuff like Jeff Rosenstocks album or The World is A Beautiful Places's album better. I completely respect everyones opinion on Kendricks album, the social impact of the album, it just didnt do it for me as an album to go back and listen to purely for audible enjoyment
>>
One person I ever met who liked this album
I thought he was a mexican for the longest time turns out he was a jew
>>
>>61167752
>charismatic, intelligent, insightful, innovative and creative album since MBDTF or Illmatic

Honestly I liked this album quite I bit. But I wouldn't go that far. Though not as accessible, I think Black Up by Shabazz Palaces is better than this album and accomplishes most of the same things.
>>
File: Untitled.png (385 KB, 1878x994) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
385 KB, 1878x994
>>
>>61167833
>That nigga gave us Billie Jean, you say he touched those kids?
Never got this one
>>
>>61169325
I think it's about how people give artist passes for doing shit they would otherwise look down on. Like it doesn't matter what the evidence is, people don't even want to entertain the idea that mj could have possibly done anything wrong.
>>
>>61169389
Literally the opposite the track is about artists being setup to fail and their fans abandoning them when there's any setup against them
>>
actual correct opinion coming through >>61169347
>>
The new cudi album is a masterpiece and my favorite project by him so why the FUCK was fandango shitting on it?!!
>>
Seeing TPAB unironically being at the #1 spot made me look up Pitchfork's demographics
>https://www.quantcast.com/pitchfork.com#demographicsCard
turns out Pitchfork is way more popular with blacks than whites. Which explains a whole lot
>>
desu just couldn't connect to it since, like most of us, i am a mostly coddled white guy who grew up in the suburbs. so, that said, it was tough for me to really appreciate it on a personal level compared to GKMC because the themes on that album (family issues, poverty) seemed a bit more universal than the focal point on this album, race. also i really enjoyed the production on his previous works but this didn't do it for me
>>
Barter 6 is much better
>>
>>61169659

Not in the least.
>>
>>61167752
I liked the album a lot. But fuck you OP for being such a condescending asshole.
>>
>>61170148
Ok nvm you got me. I have been bamboozled. Still fuck you OP
>>
>>61169516
>focal point on this album, race

race isn't really the focal point of the album tho

also gkmc isn't about "family issues, poverty" at all it's about growing up in a fucked up gang environment, which you also can't relate to
>>
If it were not for white guilt, meme rappers would be viewed in the same way as Nickleback and Justin Bieber, but that would make you racist in our current environment, so no one will say it
>>
who /hasn'tevenheardthealbumyet/ here?

feels good. i'm not a cuck
>>
>>61167752
GKMC is a hundred times better. The production was better, there was less filler and the lyrics had more depth.

It was about a personal struggle, a struggle with maturity and decision making. TPB is just him rapping about BLM bullshit and things that have nothing to do with him now that he's rich. There is no depth, it is just shallow and creepy.
>>
>>61170252
This
>>
File: 1323488149757.jpg (32 KB, 650x452) Image search: [Google]
1323488149757.jpg
32 KB, 650x452
>>61170252
>he hasn't even read Between the World and Me or seen Ta-Nehisi Coates speak in-person
>he doesn't have a favorite James Baldwin novel
>he has never opposed the brutal killings of black civilians at the hands of the police
>>
>>61168642
Dis
>>
>>61167752
disregarding the dumb race debate, i haven't really heard anyone do a good job of defending this on the merit of the actual music. sure it's got "concept" and lyrics that sound like they're supposed meaningful, but there are really only like 2 or 3 good songs on this album. the rest is forgettable filler.
>>
>>61170252
I bet you still refer to the peaceful demonstrations after the murder of Rodney King as "riots."
>>
>>61170356
I think TPAB is a personal record, but I agree it felt considerably more shallow than GKMC.
>>
>>61169659
agreed

thugger has dropped like 50 bangers this yar
>>
>>61170422
This album comes down to conservatives seeing how shallow it is and liberals acting like there is something there when there isn't.
>>
>>61170379
>Is majoring in liberal arts
Literally kill yourself you hipster trash
>>
tedious slam poetry on top of boring beats
>>
>>61170435
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gCHS7CsjsE
Dem peaceful protests
I'm going to stop feeling bad for liberals soon
>>
>>61170457
>>61170499

>all these microaggressions

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/10/the-black-family-in-the-age-of-mass-incarceration/403246/
>>
>>61170531
Oh you were joking. Damn I feel stupid.
>>
>>61167833
>rhyming be with me
>issue with you
>ex with stress
>dead with red

literally third-grade vocabulary with an eighth-grade understanding of american history - and this is the so-called cherry you picked. fell in love with a buster tbqh senpai
>>
>>61170356

>production is better

So you prefer trap mainstream beats to beautiful and innovative jazz instrumentation? Pleb detected.

>less filler

Literally the only filler track is Momma. Everything else is god-tier.

>lyrics had more depth

Are you serious? I can't possibly see how you can think this. The lyricism is not only more emotional and personal, but listening to songs like 'u' or the end of 'i' or even Mortal Man show you how vulernerable he is and passionate about himself and his music and purpose.

God, you're imbecilic.
>>
File: barter 6.jpg (52 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
barter 6.jpg
52 KB, 319x319
Wrong album, bud
>>
>>61170986
Mortal Man legit killed the album
I was unbelievably excited when I say the track length, but it was pretty bad.
>>
>>61171025

How? It's genius.
>>
>>61170986
I wasn't a fan of You Ain't Gotta Lie
>>
>>61171097
It was the most self-aggrandizing track I've ever heard in hip-hop, and the sentiments in it were either overtly political or that terrible poem that was written to tie the album in a pretty bow. I love nearly every track, but I hated that bullshit.
>>
>>
File: 354.jpg (18 KB, 498x340) Image search: [Google]
354.jpg
18 KB, 498x340
>>
>>61171699
>

fu cough
>>
>>61171154
Yeah, I like the music better on tpab but the conceptual part of gkmc was so much better. I also liked how smooth the transitions were on gkmc too. The skits brought you into the topic of the next song, and the interview thing on tpab was really fucking annoying an redundant to hear at the end of each song just getting slightly longer
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.