[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Pink Floyd >Prog Why do retards say this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: pink-floyd.jpg (71 KB, 617x409) Image search: [Google]
pink-floyd.jpg
71 KB, 617x409
>Pink Floyd
>Prog
Why do retards say this?
>>
Atmospheric prog
>>
>>61165168
WHat are they then, Chrischan?
>>
>>61165193
They're Progressive Rock.
>>
>>61165193
They're blues rock. There's literally nothing progressive about their music. Gilmour plays straight blues, Rick Wright played jazzy chords. Waters plays simple bass lines. Their lyrics have nothing to do with dragons and medieval swords.
>>
>>61165237
Thanks Chris. Now I see it, Pink Floyd sound exactly like Big Brother and Holding Company and Cream.
>>
>>61165237
>Their lyrics have nothing to do with dragons and medieval swords.
That isn't even remotely a defining aspect of progressive rock.

The Wall and onwards is progressive rock, prior to that they were psychedelic rock.
>>
>>61165237
>blues rock
>Echoes
>>
Psychedelic blues, I'd say
>>
>>61165168
because they're retards
>>
"space rock" is considered by many to be a sub genre of progressive rock.
>>
>>61165318
Pink Floyd stopped being psychedelic rock after Syd left, they stopped making outright psychedelic music after DSOTM
>>
Daily reminder that Pink Floyd was contrived elevator music after Syd left.
>>
File: sponge.jpg (3 KB, 145x90) Image search: [Google]
sponge.jpg
3 KB, 145x90
>>61165168
>people who argue about genres
>>
>>61165337
Echoes is the best prog song of all time tbe
>>
idk animals is pretty proggy, depends on the album I guess
>>
The only thing prog they've done is Meddle. Everything else is just blues rock without being too bluesy.
>>
>>61165168
Because their most known work was prog/space rock, retard.
>>
Why do I keep coming here?

I hate this board so fucking much but I can't help it.
>>
>>61165168
>Pink Floyd
>Not Prog
I hate this meme
>>
Here you go fucking retards, free of charge:
>Piper/ASOS: Psychedelic Rock
>Ummagumma/AHM/Meddle: Jam Rock
>Obscured By Clouds/DSOTM/WYWH: Lounge Rock/Smooth Jazz
>Animals/The Wall: Blues Rock
Rest of the albums not mentioned because they are too irrelevant
>>
File: 200_s.gif (25 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
25 KB, 267x200
>>61165603
>Smooth Jazz

what the fuck am i reading? nothing on any of those albums is even remotely smooth jazz. you could say some are a bit jazzy like the end of the shine on songs, but smooth jazz? no...
>>
>>61165168
Do you like forcing shitty fucking memes like a degenerate faggot with nothing to do?

You do? Good. The first step towards being a better person is acknowledging you're a piece of shit.

Your "Pink Floyd isn't a Progressive rock band" meme has never been funny. Never will. Nobody scrolls down the catalog, sees your post and laughs. They fucking ignore it. Why? Because you're a pathetic little 9gag crossposting memester with nothing better to do besides force shitty memes on an anonymous imageboard. Get a life. Go outside. Stop making fucking threads about a fucking Prog rock band being Blues rock. We're sick of this. I'M sick of this.

But you know what? No. I won't stop there. Have you ever sat down and thought, "I could be productive?" Have you? If you haven't then here's a newsflash. In that time it took to create this thread you could have called that one girl that looks at you longingly and request a date. But no, you post a fucking "Pink floyd isn't true Prog" thread. Ever stop to think about what you could be doing if you didn't waste your life away in your parents' basement posting memes?

You could be an astronaut. You could be the CEO of a profitable company. You could be rich. Or, instead, you chose to post memes.

That said, Their they do have many psychedelic aspects in their songs. Fuck off, meme poser
>>
>>61165679
Blog harder negro
>>
>>61165286
this
>>
>>61165603
>Pink Floyd
>Jazz
>Someone is actually THIS fucking retarded
>>
File: IQcore.jpg (665 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
IQcore.jpg
665 KB, 1600x1600
Pink Floyd is essential IQcore, my friend
I'm sorry you don't understand but you need an IQ quotient of at least 125 to truly understand it.
>>
Technically if you go by the literal definition of Progressive Rock (elevating Rock music from simple pop tunes to something "respectable") then Pink Floyd do fit the bill. If you go by the definition of: long songs, huge technical ability, lyrics about mystical otherworldly stuff, then no they don't count.
>>
>>61166411
>long songs
They had albums other than DSOTM .
>technical ability
Not at all a requirement.
>mystical otherworldly stuff
Also not a requirement. What part of Thick as a Brick or Darwin! are mystical or otherworldly?
>>
>>61166951
>technical ability
>Not at all a requirement
It's an essential requirement you fucking moron
>>
>>61167971
Justify your opinion please.
>>
>>61165237
this is b8
>>
>>61168048
your mom is b8
masturb8
jerking my weiner
epic.....
>>
>>61165237
"Their lyrics have nothing to do with dragons and medieval swords."

What in the fuck does that have to do with anything. Not every band has to sound like Jethro Tull.
>>
>>61167971
look at joy division, those dudes could play their instruments at a basic level and they still did new and good shit
>>
>>61165168
totally irrelevant but damn, Gilmour was handsome
Waters looked like the fucking Loch Ness Monster
>>
>>61168235
Yeah. Real funny how now Gilmour looks like Gollum and Waters looks like Richard Gere.
>>
I have to admit that the first time I ran into Pink Floyd being called progressive was here on /mu/. I've never been comfortable with it. I'm not sure why.
>>
>>61168306
Gilmour legit looks like he was soaked in a bleach barrel nowadays
>>
>>61168306
Gilmour looks faded when he lost his hair. If he still had hair he'd be better looking than Waters, but baldness automatically makes you unfuckable.
>>
>>61168235
how dare you insult my husband
>>
>>61168687
Do you have the divorce planned yet?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (412 KB, 1413x1407) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
412 KB, 1413x1407
>>61165168
They were originally psychedelic
>>
File: Holy fucking shit.png (119 KB, 1280x760) Image search: [Google]
Holy fucking shit.png
119 KB, 1280x760
>>61165603
>>
https://youtu.be/Eln3J6BxWN0?t=5m41s

This is Frank Zappa's opinion on Pink Floyd and "Progressive Rock" He's says Pink Floyd is progressive rock sometimes
>>
>>61170567
It starts at 5:41 if the time stamp does not work.
>>
>>61166324
btw IQcore means the fanbase is filled with pretentious cunts.
>>
Pink Floyd is something nice that I like to call "Light Prog". As in, it's rock music that has aspects of Prog that mingle with the music but not enough to make Pink Floyd a defining Prog band. Pink Floyd is predominantly Psychedelic/Space Rock, but it certainly has Prog qualities. That's just how I view it. I don't really care too much though, I like their music regardless.
>>
Pink Floyd is the epitome of buttprog
>>
>>61168306
I disagree man. Gilmour is still pretty handsome for a guy in his 70's.
>>
>>61165318
Animals is their most progressive album. What are you talking about?
>>
their progressive in terms of music production
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.