[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is "God Only Knows" literally a perfect song?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 2179259-beach-boys-shirts.jpg (1 MB, 617x463) Image search: [Google]
2179259-beach-boys-shirts.jpg
1 MB, 617x463
Is "God Only Knows" literally a perfect song?
>>
HEY
>>
>>61164961
Perfect songs don't exist but it is one of the best songs ever made for sure.
>>
>>61164961
It's the best song ever, and depending on your philosophical views you could say it's perfect, or the closest humanity has come to a perfect song.
>>
Probably
>>
the little instrumental break in the middle is goofy and it sucks
>>
It's a very nice song. Pretty much the only Beach Boys song I can stomach.
>>
>>61164961
>bleieving in god
>>
Actually its "Alright" by Kendrick Lamar, but I see why one might think like you.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (114 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
114 KB, 1200x1200
looks like you misspelled Good Vibrations there, pal
>>
>>61165032
what do you mean by philipsphical views?

if we're seriously talking about what constitutes a perfect song off of the philopshy, i think Any Colour You Like by the Pink Floyd is a much more challenging and broad subject matter
>>
>>61164961
>>61165032
It's a great song, but not perfect. Not at all perfect.

Happy? I took your shitty b8.
>>
pst...hey....
Pink Moon
>>
Eleanor Rigby is better, composition wise and lyrically.
>>
>>61165104
>>61164961
Y'all have funny ways of spelling Surfs up.
>>
>>61165141
Explain what makes it a better composition.
>>
>>61165104
listening to the studio takes for good vibrations (after it was shared on sharethread) makes me respect how perfect the song is even more.
literally every instrument was orchestrated by brian wilson while recording to make the most perfect timbre possible
>>
>>61164961
Why is Mike Love such a balding piece of shit?
>>
nah mr tambourine man (dylan version) is
>>
>>61165117
Like, Plato might say the concept of "song" exists as an eternal unchanging form, which is perfect because it is made by God. And any earthly songs cannot fully reach the perfection of what was created by the master.
>>
>>61164961
There is no such thing as a perfect song, so no.
>>
>>61165173
From a purely subjective, non-technical standpoint, I find God Only Know's to be lush to the point of schmaltzy and melodramatic. More technically, the staccato chords and melody of Rigby is really striking, and makes for that really interesting vocal pattern, which I think is pretty unique compared to other classically-inspired rock/pop of the time: most of which tends to do what God Only Knows does with those big, more legato arrangements. Rigby is definitely the more interesting in that sense to my mind.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 1200x803) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 1200x803
All my songs are perfect
>>
>>61165232
I agree and I think Any Colour You Like best encapsulates that idea, along with others, mainly about the illusion of choice and freedom
>>
>>61165232
Plato talked a lot of shit that is no longer at all relevant to the way we perceive and understand life/the universe
>>
>>61165061
what's goofy is the sax solo on the alternate version. the one they used is perfect
>>
>>61165284
Well, obviously there's no arguing either of us out of our preferences for how a piece is arranged. I mean, I think the arrangement for GOK has brilliant instrumentation and the way it's written adds to the very longing feeling throughout the song. I mean, where you hear melodrama, I just hear a really achingly beautiful arrangement. But that's really subjective.
But with regards to the harmonic progression and how that progression relates to the lyrics, I think GOK has rigby beat. For all the verses there's weird chords building up tension and release of tension is avoided throughout the verse. While the lyrics are talking about the girl leaving him and how his life would be meaningless without her.
The genius part about how that's done is that the chorus releases a lot of that tension when it actually finds a pretty clear tonal centre and plays more straightforward chords.
The main melody of ER is incredible and I think if you were to take just one melodic idea from either piece and say it is the best, it would be better than any individual melody by itself on GOK.
Taken as a whole though, I think that say, the interaction of the melodies on the lyricless section, or the round at the end of the song is better.
Tbh, I just wanted to see that you actually could give an answer. There's no actual way either of us are gonna convince each other.
>>
>>61165700
i 100% agree on the beautiful vs. melodramatic thing
>>
Yes it is
>>
>>61164961
the only perfect song
>>
>>61165700
Yeah well I do really like GOK I was playing Devil's advocate a bit. I think there's just something moving about how Rigsby manages to be melancholy and pained in perhaps a more subtle or indirect way. Yeah honestly GOK is beautiful but I think it can be both beautiful and a bit cheesy simultaneously, and there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that. I just feel Rigsby is more left field and daring in the way the orchestration works in a pop context. But yeah, fair points.
>>
>>61165978
I guess I've a real taste for cheese too though. I'm a big fan of the post SMiLE stuff and I remember hearing Aren't you Glad off Wild Honey for the first time and grinning like an idiot when I heard the kick drum that's supposed to be a heart at the "I've got a heart that won't stop beating for you". The Beach Boys were just great at being cheesy and adorable in a really beautiful way. Brian can just come across as a really awkward but sweet guy that just hits a lot of sweet spots for me.
>>
>>61164961
its too short
>>
>song fades out
>>
It's the best pop song of all time hands down
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.