[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: great albums /mu/ forgot about or the new sea of redditor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 11
File: laurel-halo-quarantine.jpg (281 KB, 590x590) Image search: [Google]
laurel-halo-quarantine.jpg
281 KB, 590x590
ITT: great albums /mu/ forgot about or the new sea of redditor newfags haven't heard yet
>>
Laurel Halo was tumblr from the start though
>>
>>61164473
>attaching meaningless bullshit to an artist's music
like I said, redditor newfags
>>
>>61164452
I want that album only because of the cover art
>>
>>61164452
I like you
>>
Chance of Rain >> Quarantine
>>
>>61164563
false

>>61164512
i want a giant holographic print to hang on my wall
>>
>>61164452
The vocals are absolutely terrible but the rest is fairly impressive. 7/10
>>
>>61164563
lolno
>>61164532
I like Laurel Halo more sorry :(
In Situ is such a great album too like holy shit
>>
>>61164598
vocals are fucking great, even if sometimes flat.
source: guy with perfect pitch who listened to it 15 minutes ago
>>
I never forgot, such a great year for music overall.
>>
>>61164625
They take getting used to, but once you do they're incredible. I understand why people think they sound out of tune but personally I never felt that way.
>>
>>61164452
i haven't listened to this in a longass time but i remember it being one of the better trendy indie albums
>>
>>61164684
>trendy indie album
>Fantano panned it
>Pitchfork didn't give BNM
I mean it got Wire AOTY but let's not claim that it's as trendy as Julia Holter
>>
>>61164625
>guy with perfect pitch
yeaaaaah, no.

You haven't heard Laurel Halo - Quarantine. The vocals are worse than simply flat
>>
>>61164625
>source: non-credible
>>
>>61164743
I listened to it back in 2013 when I came here, and I'm listening to it this minute. The vocals are barely ever off-point.
>>
Quarantine > In Situ > Chance of Rain

desu
>>
>>61164743
The source of the dissonance you hear is the strange instrumental tracks, her singing is pretty much always on key. It's completely deliberate, and part of what makes the album stand out and last the test of time for me so far. I think that's something a lot of people missed.
>>
>>61164935
holy shit I just realized you're right, it's not her voice, it's the like warbly analog background.
fucking incredible
>>
>>61164965
Great innit?
>>
Inhuman Rampage.
>>
>dance music
Looks like you're the redditor here my man
>>
>>61166948
reddit doesn't know dance music outside of P4ktronica and EDM
>>
>>61164452
No one on /mu/ liked this when it was dropped. Wasn't in any 2012 AOTY threads.
>>
>>61166984
uhhhhh what?
http://rbt.asia/mu/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=laurel+halo+OR+quarantine&search_subject=&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=2012-01-01&search_dateto=2012-12-31&search_media_hash=&search_op=all&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
>>
>>61167021
>18 posts
>some of which aren't even related to liking it or disliking it
>doesn't show the replies of people telling them their taste is shit

lmao
>>
nobody posted any others
>>
>>61166978
Yeah, and this album is House, which ia a subgenre of EDM
Your point?
>>
>>61167146
because OP started with a shit album that /mu/ never liked
>>
>>61167173
Explain how it's shit.
>>61167155
>quarantine
>house
literally how
>>
>>61167195
Shit vocals, boring songs, lyrics are laughable
>>
>>61167155
it's not house.
>>
>>61167276
>shit vocals
nope
>boring songs
nope, do you not listen to music attentively? there's tons of interesting stuff going on.
>caring about lyrics
teenager detected
>>
>>61167276
literally the only other person in this thread that understands how bad the vocals are
>>
>>61167312
different anon here; i don't care about lyrics, but if they're generic enough it can be a real turn-off
>>
>>61167312
>shit vocals
>nope

Lol have you even listened to the album?

>boring songs
>nope, do you not listen to music attentively? there's tons of interesting stuff going on.

Again, have you listened to the album?

>caring about lyrics
>teenager detected

Opinion discarded
>>
>>61167155
Either you haven't heard this album or you haven't heard House music.
>>
>>61167358
I don't ever care about the lyrics, because I care about music.
>Lol have you even listened to the album?
Yeah have you? MK Ultra, Years, Thaw, etc.
>Again, have you listened to the album?
...yeah have you? Regardless of whether you can determine the surprisingly sophisticated harmonies or if you listen for mood there's tons of shit
>Opinion discarded
so you admit you're a teenager? OK!
>>
I'm almost positive the guy heard In Situ or Chance of Rain and made a leap of faith
>>
maybe Quarantine is just another casual/pleb filter
>>
>>61167412
>sophisticated harmonies
>I don't ever care about the lyrics, because I care about music
>so you admit you're a teenager? OK!

Is this your first time on /mu/? Or listening to music for that matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKOx1_WprCQ

This is terrible. Crawl back to Pitchfork, please
>>
>>61167507
Good vocal harmonies, good atmosphere of "something is looming, about to happen," what's not to like?
>Crawl back to Pitchfork
pic related
they really didn't push for it that much
hence why it's not a meme like your favorite bands :)
>>
File: Capture.png (340 KB, 660x322) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
340 KB, 660x322
>>61167565
goddammit
and her albums were rated even lower
>>
post a better 2012 track than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSLd9rjYgUg

you probably can't
>>
>>61167565
>Good vocal harmonies
If you like switching pitches randomly. she sounds like he's trying to yodel
>good atmosphere of "something is looming, about to happen
Does it? Sounds like a woman singing about air sickness over a shit beat
>hence why it's not a meme like your favorite bands :)
implying

So far you think /mu/ liked this album in 2012, you don't listen to lyrics, you don't understand good atmospheres, and you think anyone who doesn't share your opinion only listens to "meme bands". You're doing good
>>
>>61167633
most anything off of Centipede Hz, In Our Heads, Lonerism, or Visions.

and that's only covering a small handful of fucking meme groups
>>
File: this motherfucker.jpg (46 KB, 350x514) Image search: [Google]
this motherfucker.jpg
46 KB, 350x514
>>61167825
>Centipede Hz
>Lonerism
>good
holy shit how old are you anyways?
>>
>>61167862
my point exactly; even that shit beats out your garbage song
>>
>>61167877
Explain what is bad about MK Ultra in particular.
>>
>>61167913
The instrumentals are relatively interesting but there is literally zero passion in her voice, on top of the fact that it already has a generic female sound,

It honestly sounds like this was just sung over some better artist's track.
>>
>>61167993
>but there is literally zero passion in her voice, on top of the fact that it already has a generic female sound,
Nice nitpick now do you have any musical critiques?
Anyone can say "I don't like their voice" but it doesn't mean shit.
>>
File: Twin Fantasy.jpg (5 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
Twin Fantasy.jpg
5 KB, 226x223
>>
File: 1450485210590.jpg (159 KB, 456x502) Image search: [Google]
1450485210590.jpg
159 KB, 456x502
>>61168020
>Nice nitpick
that's not a nitpick you fucking autismo

even if you couldn't care less about lyrics, I don't want to hear any vocals if a singer has just the most unpleasant timbre in their voice.

like, the fuck are you talking about?
>>
File: cover.jpg (27 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
27 KB, 450x450
/mu/ seems to have forgotten about bitte orca but I wouldn't call it great. same with veckatimest

i miss pic related
>>
>>61168071
>even if you couldn't care less about lyrics, I don't want to hear any vocals if a singer has just the most unpleasant timbre in their voice.
People dislike the timbre of Sufjan, Mangum, Newsom, countless artists.
It's a total nitpick and totally subjective critique.
If all you can come up with, for an argument about why its bad, is a totally subjective point then you are an idiot
>>
>>61168020
I'm not that guy, but that's not a nitpick.
Nitpick is like "I didn't like the tones on the guitar" or something. If the female vocalist has no passion, that's a failing that's constantly present, not a nitpick.
>>
>>61168106
>totally subjective critique
Alright, explain to me how MK Ultra is OBJECTIVELY the best song of 2012? retard
>>
>>61168112
>If the female vocalist has no passion, that's a failing that's constantly present, not a nitpick.
you idiot a nitpick doesn't mean a thing that happens once and criticizing it
a nitpick means something inconsequential, something unrelated to the compositions on the record, something that is irrelevant to a discussion on the music
like imagine someone watching 2001 a space odyssey and saying "I don't like the glow on HAL9000" and then claiming the movie is bad as a result
>>
>>61164452
that album is shit though

>>61164506
>attaching meaningless bullshit to anon's post
4chan has always made such connections faggot
>>
>>61168152
we know what nitpicking means; shitty vocals are not one of those things

your space odyssey metaphor is total shite as well
>>
>>61168148
>lacking basic music understanding
Obviously everything preferential is subjective, I'm saying your critique doesn't carry over to anyone and doesn't have any value in discussing objective facts about the music like hte harmonies and shit

listen I can tell you're a teenager, particularly because of your Fantano reaction picture; how about you bow out gracefully
>>
>>61168185
he's not saying she's a shit singer though, not commenting on whether she hits the notes or not

he's just saying "I don't like the tone of her voice"

that's a fucking nitpick
>>
Soon it will be ILLEGAL just to post AJJ on /mu/.
>>
>>61168152
>a nitpick means something inconsequential
The quality of the vocals is inconsequential?
If you say yes, you have no respect for powerful, talented vocalists.
If you say no, then the poor vocals (present on 90% of the track) is a legitimate complaint. I will fully agree they're bad. If she's trying to sound robotic, she's severely failing and just coming off annoying.
>>
>>61167707
>STOP LIKING THINGS THAT I DON'T LIKE!
>>
Wow, this MK ULTRA guy is mad as fuck.
>>
>>61168229
The tone of the vocals is inconsequential, yes.
>>61168258
If I could get an actual critique I wouldn't be.
>>
>>61168225
they're fucking annoying to listen to
you can listen to them if you want but i think you're weird
>>
>>61167707
>If you like switching pitches randomly.
jesus christ you don't know anything about music do you?
>>
>>61168277
I didn't say 'tone.' I said the quality of her vocals.
And if you think the tone of vocals on a record are inconsequential, I'd have to re-assert that you have no respect for powerful vocals, or even shitty vocals that nevertheless drive the aesthetic or presentation of an album.
Are you saying if I took all your favorite albums and ran the vocals through a 20 year old vocoder, you'd love those albums exactly the same as you do now, since the tone is inconsequential? Really?
>>
>>61168148
>cop out by mentioning my reaction picture
the fuck?
>>
>>61168356
>Are you saying if I took all your favorite albums and ran the vocals through a 20 year old vocoder, you'd love those albums exactly the same as you do now, since the tone is inconsequential? Really?
Roughly, yeah.
Do you care more about the image or sound a record has than the quality of the music? You're a child.
>>
>>61167707
>>61168304
Like seriously the whole melody is conjunct how can you say something so fucking stupid?
>>
>>61168411
image and sound are definitely both major factors in enjoying an album. obviously everyone has different tastes, but nobody can disregard that they have an influence
>>
>>61168487
Yeah children are easily influenced by the image/sound of the music. They can't think critically about music.
>>
File: R-162869-1194388564.jpeg.jpg (164 KB, 600x586) Image search: [Google]
R-162869-1194388564.jpeg.jpg
164 KB, 600x586
>>
>>61168411
>Roughly, yeah.
You're funny. I like you.
In your defense, if I ran Laurel Halo's voice through a shitty vocoder, Quarantine would probably be an indie smash hit, Arcade Fire's Funeral-level.
It's very interesting that you're berating me for caring about the 'sound a record has' rather than 'the quality of the music', and the object of your defense is fucking Laurel Halo. The 'quality' is abysmal, primarily because of her hollow, whiny vocals. If you took all vocals off that record it would be at least listenable. She sounds like a drowned cat.
Chelsea Wolfe has arguably powerful vocals that work well with her style, along with fantastic instrumentals that could stand on its own. If you ran Chelsea Wolfe's vocals through a shitty vocoder, it'd be immediately noticeable and rated much lower. What does that say about Chelsea Wolfe? Or Laurel Halo, for that matter? Chelsea's vocals are obviously important to creating and setting a dark mood, while Laurel Halo's are forgettable, replaceable, unimportant.
>>
>>61168529
you're not smart. not going to continue any further
>>
File: middleeast.jpg (37 KB, 485x436) Image search: [Google]
middleeast.jpg
37 KB, 485x436
This was almost /mu/core when I first came here in 2010/11. It was talked about so much, then vanished
>>
>>61168569
This is correct
>>
>>61168569
The quality is incredible, primarily because of the beautiful vocal harmonies along with her classical counterpoint courtesy of her training.
>Chelsea Wolfe has arguably powerful vocals that work well with her style
Oh shut the fuck up.
>>61168575
Leave just when I prove you wrong? Interesting.
>>61168591
This is a teenager.

Give me ONE (ONE!) musical critique
>>
>>61168615
>primarily because of the beautiful vocal harmonies along with her classical counterpoint courtesy of her training.
It would seem most of her songs on that album contradict harmony on purpose to ill effect.
>Oh shut the fuck up.
>I have no counter
Great. Glad we got this settled.
>Give me ONE (ONE!) musical critique
How is 'the vocals are fucking terrible', uttered by many posters within this one thread, not a musical critique? What exactly are you looking for in a critique? Like, 'the bass wasn't deep enough' or 'the strings were flat' or something? If you just refuse to acknowledge that the vocals are terrible because according to you they're "INCREDIBLE" than it's not like anyone is going to convince you.
So go enjoy your indie album that got to stay indie in the corner, dude. We won't bother you.
>>
>>61168744
I think they want some technical or theory term as a "musical critique"
>>
File: what the fuck are you saying.jpg (29 KB, 660x423) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck are you saying.jpg
29 KB, 660x423
>>61168744
>It would seem most of her songs on that album contradict harmony on purpose to ill effect.
>he doesn't know what harmony is
>>61168794
I want something about the harmonies, the melodies, the forms, the flow of the tracks, something MEANINGFUL.

how is this hard to understand like holy shit
>>
I haven't had this much trouble discussing music since talking with +@ fans and they're literally proud to be ignorant
>>
>>61168823
I've seen way more instances of people shitting on titus andronicus and their fans for no reason than their fans being obnoxious
>>
>>61168811
>she contradicts harmonies in her vocals
"NOT A MUSICAL CRITIQUE"
>her vocals are fucking terrible
"NOT A MUSICAL CRITIQUE"
>..what the fuck do you want?
"I want something about the harmonies, the melodies, the forms, the flow of the tracks, something MEANINGFUL"

Dude.
You're trying really really hard, I can tell. But in all honesty, 'fucking terrible vocals' is a legitimate critique. Yes, it's devoid of theory lingo, but that doesn't really matter at all. The vocals are terrible, AND prominent, doubling the effect.
It's very cute and pretentious to say stuff like 'the forms' and the 'the flow of the tracks', but the flow is really just what keeps an albums as a cohesive piece, and doesn't speak to the quality of the tracks. You can have an albums of bomb-ass tracks with no flow and it can be fine, as long as they're all dynamite. Sometimes flow is held higher than general quality to the detriment of the album, which I'd have to say. Quarantine falls in this category.
As for 'the forms', you'd have to explain exactly what you mean for me to have a response. That is far too vague.

Anyway. Meaningful is subjective. Right?
>>
>>61168875
Do you have anything other than the tone of her voice to offer
>>
>>61169071
Dammit meant to quote >>61169022
>>
>>61169088
Try responding to what I said first, champ.
>>
>>61168584
I could never tell what the genre was from the album cover
>>
>>61169125
I didn't find any new critiques or information in there so please offer them if you have them.
>>
>>61169174
All you had to say was "I have no response."
Better luck next time, guy.
>>
>>61169244
So you have no other critiques then?
>>
Honestly, I like the vocals to a degree (years being the one i always feel is the one that rubs me the worst way).

Quarantine personally sounds good with emotion and atmosphere to me and its one of my favorite albums. Maybe I am a pleb with shit taste idk
>>
>>61169141
I always thought it was crescendo-core
>>
>>61164598
Vocals are only weird on the second track imo, and it mostly has to do with the way they're mixed.

None of her non-vocal stuff has managed to sound as good anyway, I wish she could go back to something like this or King Felix.
>>
>>61168088
i remember a great thread about this album
>>
>>61168225
simple music with edgy lyrics
>>
>>61169391
>simple music with edgy lyrics

Thank you. AJJ remind me of epic reddit beard jokes more than anything.
>>
>>61169282
>Maybe I am a pleb with shit taste idk
At least you can admit it unlike that other raging autist.
>>
>>61169438
I have legitimate reasons for liking the album though.
>>
The people who complain about her vocals being flat apparently never read any of her Quarantine-era interviews. She's off key on purpose. The entire album is supposed to be the musical embodiment of nausea, and the suffocating vocals that drop out of key without any warning aid a lot in that feeling.
>>
>>61169469
Boom
>>
>>61168811
>It would seem most of her songs on that album contradict harmony on purpose to ill effect.
>he doesn't know what harmony is
>>61169504
>She's off key on purpose
hahahahahaha what the fuck guys
>>
>>61169504
Well of course they haven't nobody here actually knows what they're talking about

It's unbelievable how many times I've discussed music here and people miss something incredibly obvious about the music because they don't read fucking ANYTHING about the music they consume

Literal children
>>
>>61169504
>wow this sounds like shit
>OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVEN'T READ HER INTERVIEWS, IT'S SHITTY ON PURPOSE YOU PLEB
fuckin, wow. didn't know i had to do interview research on some unknown bitch before i listened to her album.

>hey, listen to this, I think you'd really like it, it's-
>HOLD UP. STOP. BEFORE I HEAR IT I HAVE TO READ EVERY INTERVIEW THIS BAND HAS GIVEN TO ASCERTAIN THEIR DIRECTION AND GOALS, ONLY THEN CAN I TRULY APPRECIATE THE NON-HARMONIES
>>
>>61169569
I'm not a LH fanboy and haven't taken part in the rest of the thread, but I don't see how that can't be used artistically. Artists use noise, dissonance, phasing, bit reduction, over-equalization, and a ton of other techniques that, by the standard of Western classical which you seem to be judging it on, would be flaws on purpose to create music regularly because they can be used to accentuate certain qualities of the music that would otherwise not be obvious. Why is it that not maintaining perfect vocal harmony should be considered different from any of those techniques?
>>
Burial Untrue
>>
>>61169504
>The entire album is supposed to be the musical embodiment of nausea
Well she did something right because listening to this shitty album makes me feel sick to my stomach.
>>
>>61169699
How old are you
>>
>>61169728
I didn't say any of that shit
I was pointing out how the LH fanboy in this thread was told 'her songs contradict harmony' and he responded by saying 'YOU DUNNO WHAT HARMONY IS' even though it was later said in a LH interview that she's offkey on purpose
The point was that the LH fanboy is arguing AGAINST what LH was trying to do in the first place
because he's a fucking dolt
the end
that was it
>>
>>61169769
Or Kindred and the other EPs, Burial, Four Tet, and Fuck Buttons have all fallen out of popularity since 2010
>>
>>61169814
gud resbonse :DDDD
ownd :DDD
>>
>>61169830
>The point was that the LH fanboy is arguing AGAINST what LH was trying to do in the first place
No, I just never perceived her voice as of key so I never felt the need to look into it.
>>
>>61169859
No seriously though you're being really immature
>>
>>61169882
so, you never perceived her objectively off-key voice as being off-key. is that what you're saying

before you answer, remember, you can't be subjectively off-key. off-key is not an opinion
>>
>>61169930
She hits every note fine so I would love your objective proof.
>>
This was probably the first album /mu/ got me hooked on I wouldn't have listened to otherwise
Still listen to it occasionally. MK Ultra and Thaw are something else
>>
>>61169972
I'm beginning to think you just don't understand basic musical elements and terms

Laurel Halo says "I'm off-key on purpose", the rest of the world says "She's off-key", you say "She hits every note fine"

I dunno. Autism? I'm at a loss
>>
>>61169699
Boy, you're sure buttblasted because a suggested you be familiar with the album you're discussing.
>>61169830
Then why'd you reply to me u cakeboy
>>
>>61170032
Maybe she's flat on some songs, but the pitches are all there. She never misses the notes
>>
>>61164452
Chance of rain was way better desu. Also,
>tfw no at laurel halo gf
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.