[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/ is just a board full of teenagers asserting that their popular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: be9.jpg (89 KB, 340x357) Image search: [Google]
be9.jpg
89 KB, 340x357
/mu/ is just a board full of teenagers asserting that their popular music is better than other popular music. it's all untalented music, but for some reason they think it makes them intellectual.

if you want a sense of superiority, why don't you actually listen to classical music?
>>
>>61163867
here's your reply
>>
File: 71WSFsf+S7L._SX355_.jpg (26 KB, 355x351) Image search: [Google]
71WSFsf+S7L._SX355_.jpg
26 KB, 355x351
>>61163867
anything like pic related?
>>
>>
Because classical music is boring.
>>
>>61163896
check out Stravinsky's neoclassic output like the violin and piano concertos.
>>61163900
zappa's music was just formula music with quirk
>>
>>61163867
give me some classic recs sempai
>>
/mu/ is just a board full of teenagers asserting that their classical music is better than other popular music. it's all untalented music, but for some reason they think it makes them intellectual.

if you want a sense of superiority, why don't you actually listen to jazz?
>>
>>61163867
I read books, and therefore I'm way better than all of you musicfags because books teach humility and useful stuff unlike classical which just teaches you to snob others
>>
>>61163867
>if you want a superiority complex, why don't you actually listen to classical music?
>>
>>61163867
Reminder that the whole Classical period was an attempt to make classical music accessible to the masses. So, if we follow your argument, Mozart and Haydn are on the same level as Ed Sheeran or Nicki Minaj.
>>
/mu/ is just a board full of teenagers asserting that their jazz music is better than other popular music. it's all untalented music, but for some reason they think it makes them intellectual.

if you want a sense of superiority, why don't you actually listen to twerking reggaeton ?
>>
>>61163923
doesn't even make sense, 0/10.
>>61163921
medieval:
ockeghem - masses
perotin - viderunt omnes
du fay - masses

renaissance
arcadelt - madrigals
gesualdo - madrigals
josquin - motets

baroque
Monteverdi - operas/madrigals
Lully - operas
Vivaldi - concertos
Handel - oratorios
Bach - keyboard music

classic
Mozart - concertos
haydn - string quartets
Beethoven - piano sonatas
Schubert - lied
>>
>>61163948
Except you can analyze the formers music and how they broke conventions in music across the timeline, and can't with the latter.
>>
File: 1344120764779.jpg (10 KB, 166x203) Image search: [Google]
1344120764779.jpg
10 KB, 166x203
>>61163948
> the whole Classical period was an attempt to make classical music accessible to the masses
>>
>>61163948
That was Romanticism, friend; the masses broke into the concert hall with Beethoven. Mozart's music was actually considered too intellectual and difficult by his contemporaries, and often enjoyed appreciation only in circles of musicians and composers.
>>
I liked the part where you implied that one must only listen to popular music or classical music and not both

Both have plenty of merit
>>
File: katie 13.jpg (510 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
katie 13.jpg
510 KB, 1600x1200
been listening to a lot of classical music lately cuz it's all i really feel like listening to this time of year

might listen to schumann's piano shit later or mb sibellius' tone poems. anyone here ever listen to either/both? what do you think?
>>
>>61163867
This is your average classicalfag

>>61154939
>>61154975
>>61155027
>>61155105
>>61155147
>>
>>61164621
more Sibelius, severely underrated composer
also, 2015 has been a big anniversary for him so enjoy them while you can
>>61164658
>this is your average /mu/ troll/teenager who happens to listen to classical music
FTFY
>>
>>61164658
do you know what average means because i don't think you do
>>
File: katie 10.jpg (455 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
katie 10.jpg
455 KB, 1600x1200
>>61164683
yeah he does seem underrated. i listened to a compilation of his piano shit last night and thought it was fucking amazing; also listened to his violin concerto and thought it was decent. definitely gonna dig deeper into his catalog.
>>
>>61164734
yeah underrated in the sense that like, he's as good as the GOAT but is treated sometimes like Mahler-lite or whatever
>>
>>61164685
>poster makes point
>I'll attack his language instead of actually participating in the conversation!
Do you know how to capitalise letters on a keyboard? I don't think you do.
>>
>listen to classical

I can't even into jazz, OP
>>
File: 3meow.jpg (177 KB, 720x780) Image search: [Google]
3meow.jpg
177 KB, 720x780
>>61164768
man the only thing i've heard by mahler is his 5th symphony cuz i've read comparisons to shostakovich and i love shostakovich but i was very disappointed. shit was all over the place, i couldn't grab hold onto anything so i can enjoy the ride... any of mahler's symphonies you'd recommend to a fan of shostakovich?
>>
File: 3wa.jpg (56 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
3wa.jpg
56 KB, 720x960
>>61164768
o wait i've also heard das lied von der erde but that was damn good compared to his 5th symph.
>>
>>61164621
Schumann's piano music is top tier, although I personally prefer late romantics over early romantics.
Sibelius' music teaches you half of everything you need to know about Finnish feels. The rest you can learn by visiting a native sauna.
>>61163951
And then there's the romantics: Schubert's symphonies, Schumann's piano works, Chopin's piano works, Liszt's symphonic works (not a big fan of his piano works desu), the whole Russian school of the great five preceeding Tchaikovsky's symphonies, Rachmaninoffs works, then there's modern: Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Stravinsky... lots to choose from:
My personal favorite recording of my favorite piece of music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEGOihjqO9w
>>
oh great, classicalfags
>>
>>61163951
>those recs
You obviously have zero credibility in conversation with actual knowledgable classical listeners. "Monteverdi, operas and madrigals" so, what, his entire fucking output? Go away you rejected music school application.
>>
>>61163900
>being this pleb
>>
>>61164920
If you were a so-called knowledged classical listener ("knowledged" is not a word), you'd know that those composers shit out tonnes of music. Bach's keyboard works would take weeks to listen through, and that's excluding his organ works. Sure, you could recommend one suite over another, but that's just a matter of taste.
>>
File: 1450042451985.jpg (47 KB, 610x530) Image search: [Google]
1450042451985.jpg
47 KB, 610x530
> people this deluded exist

Jeez, just.. wow.
>>
>>61165041
That's my point dude. The guy asked for a rec and you gave a week's worth of music in almost every line, probably so you could feel smart. Totally ignorant masturbation coming from someone who probably hasn't heard 90% of what he's telling others to listen to.
>>
>>61165132
I recognize a shitposter when I see one, so I'll just leave you with this:
>Sure, you could recommend one suite over another, but that's just a matter of taste.
what part of this is hard to read?
>>
>>61165041

You do get that recs are literally about taste, right? You think they have never heard of Mozart before and you're enlightening them by just writing his name? Giving your personal taste in which pieces you think are good is 100% of the point.
>>
>>61165275
If other anons had the same musical taste as me, they'd be listening to classical music in the first place. Anyone who wants to explore classical music, just has to do so.
For specific recommendations, I generally advice requesters to provide some info on their taste, such as the Shostakovich fan asking for good Mahler. I could recommend something knowing that he likes Shostakovich, if it weren't for the fact that I'm only familiar with the 5th symphony. However, I wouldn't recommend symphonies to someone who is put off by massive orchestrations. Chamber music and solo works would work better with such audiences. And again, some would be bored by a solo violin piece. Do you begin to understand why it's too simple to answer "start with Mozart's clarinet quintet" or "start with Bach's prelude and fugue in g minor from his Well-Tempered Klavier II" ?
Most of canon composers stuff is all canon. There are few examples of "bad music" in Mozart's catalog. A general rule of thumb, however, is that a composer's later works are usually more mature than their early works. The rest depends on your taste.
>>
>>61163867
Most classical music is really accessible and entry level though, I'm not sure why it's hard for most people to get into it. Sure some of it's experimental and can be hard to get into if you aren't used to that kind of thing but a lot of it is just sounds like it would be used for generic background music in a movie or something.
>>
>>61165638
>I'm only familiar with the 5th symphony.
There it is. Condolences about the massive autism buddy. Try not posting next time.
>>
>>61165705
classical music is so accessible they use it in film soundtracks to get you to feel.
>>
>>61165638

Yeah, you wouldn't want to risk recommending a piece of music to someone without properly accessing their listening history and cross-checking it with yours. Someone might end up liking something by accident, and what a tragedy that would be.
>>
>>61165705
The sound is accessible for surface listening but I think for it to be really rewarding requires sustained effort from the listener.
>>
>>61163867
Damn....

That's the music from 1910 right?
>>
>>61165830

You're pretty fucking pretentious for a guy who can make his verb tenses agree.
>>
>>61165830
You could say that about a lot of non classical music as well though.
>>
>>61165856
Is something I said incorrect? Does everybody immediately understand the syntax of centuries-old musical grammar from birth or does it take a little bit of effort to figure out what's happening in a sonata?
>>
>>61165976
Ignore that commenter. I've started to figure out that there are people on /mu/ who do nothing but shitpost all day. It's their favorite and only hobby, it seems.
>>
>>61166517

>personally, I come for the sophisticated discourse.
>>
>>61166631
This dialogue could've been a 4chan banner.
>>
>>61163900
>music that was written by a bunch of dead people a long time ago

oh, so like him?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.