[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Listen to the first few minutes of this James Ferraro album.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: banner2.png (339 KB, 638x469) Image search: [Google]
banner2.png
339 KB, 638x469
Listen to the first few minutes of this James Ferraro album. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkFtFtDQFUI
>>
>>61163013
i think i need to dl the flac if he has a new album out.
>>
>>61163069
this album is like from 2009 man
>>
I don't understand James Ferraro.

What's he doing with his music?
>>
>>61163130
are you talking about this album specifically?
>>
>>61163152

Everything he's ever made, really.
>>
>>61163168
depends on what you mean.

his early lo-fi hypnagogic albums such as the one posted in OP were all Casio improv ambient-drone jams recorded straight to tape. sometimes he would sample his own voice and play it like a keyboard.

far side virtual and everything after are a more modern take on plastic, technology-obsessed lifestyle living etc. def more hi-fi and more pop-oriented.
>>
>>61163168
also his lo-fi hypnagogic albums were supposed to evoke a sense of heavy nostalgia in a half-awake state (hence the genre name of hypnagogic pop).
>>
>>61163224

Any highlights in his discography you recommend, other than Far Side Virtual? Been meaning to get more into him
>>
>>61163253
My personal favorites are Last American Hero (I prefer the 2010 vinyl reissue on Olde English Spelling Bee to the original 2008 tape release, but both are fantastic), Marble Surf, Son of Dracula, Discovery, Clear, Bamboo For Two (an album James did with his former band mate Spencer Clark and a couple other people), Heaven's Gate (which is linked in the OP), iAsia, On Air, Jarvid 9 series, Rerex series, and Hacker Track.

You can just discover so much else of his massive discog from there by browsing YouTube. good luck!
>>
>>61163253
cold and nyc, hell are great

if you liked far side virtual, check out skid row

can't really speak on a ton of his hypnagogic work, sadly.
>>
>>61163013
bump
>>
>>61163013
wish he should still do his lo-fi style but his new stuff is not bad too since(atm was listening to bebetunes again) and silicia gel is just unreal.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.