[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What a load of shit, if the soloing on here was done with a guitar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: 8b1f0d01[1].jpg (56 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
8b1f0d01[1].jpg
56 KB, 600x600
What a load of shit, if the soloing on here was done with a guitar instead of a saxophone the album would be unanimously dismissed as pointless self-indulgent wank, but since it's jazz, the "superior" genre, people pretend to like it. Get fucked.
>>
holy shit lol
>>
>>61157852
>I don't like it, so no one else should like it!
>>
File: 1356997267183.jpg (88 KB, 622x562) Image search: [Google]
1356997267183.jpg
88 KB, 622x562
>>61157852
>guitar fags get butt hurt
>metal fags get butt hurt
>mullet-rock get but hurt
>>
Why the shitposting about A Love Supreme specifically though? This is like the 3rd one I've seen recently.
>>
>>61157852

Why is self-indulgence a bad thing?
>>
jazz is much superior too rock and dis albums gr8 tho
>>
>>61157862
>>61157886
>>61157905
>>61157912
I presume none of you of heard of such exotic concepts such as "opinons" or "rebuttals longer than lol ur worng"
>>
>>61157931
Are you saying that you're the one person posting all the shit about A Love Supreme?
There are uninformed opinions (ALS is bad) and informed opinion (ALS is good).
>>
>guitars=not jazz
r u retard
>>
>>61157940
also this
>>
>>61157939
I'm not op.
I'm just saying that this thread stinks of stupid.
>>
>>61157931
How does this response even work against >>61157886 ? You're backing up OP by saying "everyone has their own opinion!" but OP is shitting on everyone else's opinion. You're an idiot
>>
>>61157912
this
we all know Bleach is better anyway so why bother
>>
File: Not this time.jpg (78 KB, 531x451) Image search: [Google]
Not this time.jpg
78 KB, 531x451
>>61157931
ever heard of shit opinions dipshit. Bitching about soloing in jazz is like bitching about the keyboards and synthesizer in prog rock
>>
>>61157852
If it was done with guitars it'll still be jazz you moron
>>
I always love when people think others "pretend to like" something just because they themselves can't see the appeal. True mark of a plebe
>>
File: 1450629265032[1].jpg (20 KB, 312x471) Image search: [Google]
1450629265032[1].jpg
20 KB, 312x471
>"Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical 'adulthood'. To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside 'mere' rock music. This ostentatious display of 'sophistication' is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call 'jazz'. There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere. Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the 'free' zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom — sounds good. The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the disappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap."
>>
File: a love supreme.jpg (595 KB, 1024x772) Image search: [Google]
a love supreme.jpg
595 KB, 1024x772
look at this
>>
>>61158028
*tips fedora*
>>
>>61158095

It looks like something made by a serial killer, I love it.

>All paths lead to God.
>>
>>61157931
yeah, your was over twice as long
>>
>>61158028
things like these make me never want to succeed in popular music, like he is a renowned sound engineer and his opinions are so plebby and narrow-minded
>>
>>61158392
>actually calling based Steve Albini a pleb
get back to me when you make an album as good as Atomizer, kid
>>
>>61158424
i'd rather never record anything than be so ignorant
>>
>>61158445
get back to me when youre old enough to post on this site buddy
>>
File: mozflowers.jpg (264 KB, 500x648) Image search: [Google]
mozflowers.jpg
264 KB, 500x648
>>61158464
lmao
>>
>>61158028
based
>>
>>61158095
lol

i like jazz and a love supreme kinda blows
>>
>>61158028
I wonder how often he got beat up in school.
>>
>>61158392
Being good at making music doesn't automatically make you a good music critic.
Same way being a good critic doesn't require being a good musician.
>>
>>61158511
>a love supreme kinda blows
it most definitely does, you fucking tasteless dipshit
>>
>>61158539
i know, good musicians focused on learning creativity while we focused on consuming, still albini is a huge, fat nerd and pleb
>>
>>61158511
Then you do not really like Jazz desu
>>
Blatant jazz contrarianism triggers me every time
>>
>>61158424
Just because he made a bunch of good albums doesn't mean he isn't full of shit. He's one of those people who's realised as long as he's controversial enough, journalists will never get tired of writing down his inane thoughts.
>>
>>61157852
that album is the epitome of memejazz
>>
>>61158860
that doesn't make it half bad tobh
>>
ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>61157959
Of course it does, just look at that OP!
>>
>>61158860
Yep. Not a criticism. On a more serious note--is there a "gold standard" jazz album? Is there one more fitting?
>>
>>61158918
Kind Of Blue?
Time Out?
>>
>>61158918
>>61158924
Maybe at first when your tastes are a replica of an /mu/ jazz essentials chart, but not after you've transcended superficialities and immersed yourself in it.
>>
>>61158574
people on /mu/ are so used to being subversive and obscure when it comes to popular music (which i really don't have a problem with) that they try to do the same with genres like jazz and classical, where honestly that tactic doesn't work that well.
>>
>>61157852
>What a load of shit, if the soloing on here was done with a guitar instead of a saxophone the album would be unanimously dismissed as pointless self-indulgent wank, but since it's jazz, the "superior" genre, people pretend to like it.

But The Inner Mountain Flame and Idle Moments are some of the best jazz albums of all time anon
>inb4 no link at all : you're right

I'll give you that a love supreme is overrated even if good
Try Blue Train to get into Trane
>>
>>61159001
There is a difference between a personal favorite and something critically acclaimed m8
The "gold standard" is usually tied to the acclaim.
>>
>>61158424
That doesn't negate the fact that he's too low brow to grasp any jazz album or likely anything requiring significant intellect and concentration. He calls it "vain music" and says improvisation to such an extent is self-indulgent, but that's because mentally he's stuck in the bullshit world of commercial music where the average track is 3 minutes long and lyrics are held to much higher esteem than the actual music. Of course in that closed-minded world something like jazz is self-indulgent and meaningless. That world is too intellectually ignorant to warrant something that actually requires active concentration and (god forbid) the patience to take an extra 5 to 10 minutes out of one's pathetic life to hear something far more rewarding in the end. Steve Albini lives in the world where people's musical tastes are the equivalent to a diet of nothing but candy.
>>
>>61159235
>Inner Mountain Flame

>>61159238
Well then we all know Kind of Blue is the "gold standard" you're referring to. But just because something is the most acclaimed doesn't mean it deserves to be the benchmark to which all others are measured against. That kind of takes away from the mystique of so many other great contributions.
>>
>>61159059
Do any of the jazz fans here post in /blindfold/ out of curiosity?
There's always so many people who come out of the woodwork for these sort of bait threads and kamasi Washington generals.
>>
>>61159336
>Well then we all know Kind of Blue is the "gold standard" you're referring to. But just because something is the most acclaimed doesn't mean it deserves to be the benchmark to which all others are measured against. That kind of takes away from the mystique of so many other great contributions.
Agree on both points.
>>
>>61159372
Woops, didn't mean to respond to >>61159059 in particular.
he's got a good point though.
>>
>>61159275
Dude engineered Ys, I think it's doubtful that he's stuck in this mindset where only 3 minute songs are good.

I don't really agree with him, but even a lot of jazz that is regarded as classic strikes me as hollow showboating. I like A Love Supreme because of the pacing, the long build-up to the climax of the last track, but I can't see the appeal of Giant Steps or Kind of Blue
>>
>>61159383
I agree too, but if you agree that the history of jazz is an ongoing "conversation", with monumental works setting the precedent and eliciting responses from other musicians down the line, which do you think is a more appropriate album for that title? A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue get my vote.
>>
>>61159059
Right, even fucking Scaruffi understands this.
>>
>guitar instead of a saxophone
That wouldn't automatically make it not jazz, dumbfuck.
>>
>>61157852
But there are plenty of jazz albums with guitars, what's the problem?
>>
>>61159275
What do you listen for in jazz?
>>
>>61160705
how about you learn to read threads or fuck off to reddit faggot
>>
>>61160835
I agree with your sentiment. But do words have any meaning for you? Do you think that you're actually hurting anyone's feelings by calling them a faggot and saying fuck online? Or else what did you want him to feel? What did you try to accomplish with that post?
>>
>>61160891
calling people faggots just feels good
>>
>>61159466
>Dude engineered Ys, I think it's doubtful that he's stuck in this mindset where only 3 minute songs are good.

Yeah and then he made fun of Joanna Newsom on his redit AMA. He has also very critical of the Pixies after he finished doing work with them.

You know it's part of his rules that he won't turn down an engineering job even if he doesn't like the artist.
>>
>>61160965
>then he made fun of Joanna Newsom on his redit AMA
for real?
>>
>>61159238
This. Mingus' Black Saint and the Sinner lady is objectively better than Blues & Roots, but Blues & Roots is my personal favorite. Nothing wrong with liking an album that isn't the best that artist ever made.
>>
>>61157912
Probably all the same guy
>>
>>61161134
You're an idiot.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.