[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://marcelsmusicjournal.com/post /131934904223/album-revi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: a9wE8IE.jpg (140 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
a9wE8IE.jpg
140 KB, 600x900
http://marcelsmusicjournal.com/post/131934904223/album-review-joanna-newsom-divers
Should people who don't "get" Joanna Newsom be allowed to review music? It's like a food connoisseur without tastebuds.
>>
op, tell me your intentions

did you actually want to discuss joanna newsom and stuff or did you want this to be a marcel thread

yes I think he's a little shit too
>>
>>61148821

I think people who are educated in music history and theory should be the only ones allowed to review music but apparently that's not allowed and anyone can have whatever opinion of an album and it's okay because it's subjective and shit.
>>
Is kid is like 8 years old. Why in the fuck would anyone listen to him anyway?
>>
If you have anything below a high-level knowledge and experience on music theory and history, you can't expect to have your opinions taken seriously. Fact.
>>
>>61148821
stop marcel. go to bed. no one is discussing your shitty reviews.
>>
>>61148821
g2bed kiddo
>>
Why does this kid look so self important
>>
Marcel is dumb but Divers has basically already been forgotten.
>>
>>61148882
he gave Grimes a 1/10 too, I Iiterally wants to snip off his micropenis and shove it down his throat
>>
>>61149169
Wow. I only figuratively want to do that.
This kid must make you really angry.
>>
>Divers is such an appallingly safe album that feels hopelessly plastic in its own field of theoretical composition.
You know, he's not wrong actually
This is coming from someone who loved her work up to this, though
>>
>>61149222
>an appallingly safe album that feels hopelessly plastic in its own field of theoretical composition.
it only seems safe compared to her other albums, if her other three albums didn't exist, and Divers was her first, there would be 10 Divers threads in the catalog right now.
I also think Divers is more forward thinking and consistent that HOOM
>>
>>61149169
g2bed crystalbird
>>
File: ok.gif (498 KB, 499x245) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
498 KB, 499x245
>>61149417
>Divers was her first, there would be 10 Divers threads in the catalog right now.
I wish, but I think you're underestimating how much this board has changed, even just over the past few years.

mfw
>>
>>61148923
>>61148945
that's a stupid idea because a lot of what makes popular music good is outside the realm of music theory (i.e. melody, harmony, form). perhaps you could argue that lacking a knowledge of pre-recording era music makes you inept to critique pure music, but i think popular music is more than just pure music, and perhaps more like a collage of sound art (i.e. timbral listening), poetry, comparatively basic "music", and perhaps some other things. music theory for timbral listening and an analysis of these other aspects of "music" or whatever popular music is, is basically rubbish or non-existent. perhaps this lack of quantifiability is what makes rock critics generally so inept, but i think some have some grasp of how to assess this quasi-multimedia music.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.