[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Listened to this today, first thing I've heard by them.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: unwound-leaves-turn-inside-you.jpg (12 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
unwound-leaves-turn-inside-you.jpg
12 KB, 500x500
Listened to this today, first thing I've heard by them. Absolutely incredible, I've been completely blown away. What's your favourite album by them and why?
>>
You should have gone chronologically with Unwound. All their releases are at least 9/10 (except maybe the s/t) , you can hear their progress, and their last release is their magnum opus.
>>
>>61148423
Glad to hear their other stuff is equally high quality. Will probably get their discography and start again from the beginning, thanks.
>>
>>61148423
I disagree
New Plastic Ideas and The Future Of What are their best releases for me
>>
>>61147943
>What's your favourite album by them and why?
The one you posted, because it's the best by far.
>>
As someone who (mostly) bought the albums as they came out, I honestly don't understand all the love for this record. It sounds like a bunch of experimental ideas that they threw on the record unfinished. There are much more complex melodies, structures and lyrical concepts on their previous records. They just don't sound as gauzy and shoegazey.
>>
>>61149058
Where is the material on their previous albums that comes close to Below The Salt? I certainly haven't encountered it.
>>
>>61149058
This
all the /mu/tant kiddies who don't listen to enough hardcore think that Leaves is the best Unwound record
>>
>>61149219
Listen to Side Effects of Being Tired and tell me it isn't better than the ambient wank that is Below The Salt
>>
>>61149293
>the ambient wank that is Below The Salt
holy fucking pleb, what am i reading
>>
>>61149329
>he thinks Leaves is the best thing Unwound has done
remind me who the pleb is here? Did you listen to Side Effects Of Being Tired yet?
>>
>>61149366
>remind me who the pleb is here?
You.
>>
>>61149219
Lady Elect
Fiction Friction
For Your Entertainment
>>
I love everything they've done.
But personally I prefer Repetition because of those basslines.
>>
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 224x225
Does anybody like Survival Knife. I think it's okay, but just not as good without Sara and Vern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5h7r6csa4k&list=PLkD7KHepDj4GXaxzjL3I9ClG4du4KZmli&index=4
>>
Slightly off topic but i think Unwound's cover of this minutemen song is possibly the greatest cover i've ever heard, and one of my favourite Unwound recordings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4l1AID3llQ
>>
>>61149667
I've listened to that for years and never bothered to check out the original. Tonight I was curious because I couldn't imagine it sounding similar. It is.

I think I prefer the Unwound version. They cleaned up D.'s sloppy guitar
>>
Is Unwound the best band in this genre? Who is better?
>>
>>61150188
this is the only band I know of that comes close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlnRmu4YN_s&index=13&list=PLPst6CDg7U_a101Puqcfhrr-Kbimkr5bX

...unless you count EVOL era Sonic Youth
>>
>>61150353
EVOL was literally Sonic Youth's worst album prior to Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star.
>>
File: destro.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
destro.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
>>61150439
I'm glad you have opinions. I wonder how you'd react when I tell you my favorite SY record is pic related?
>>
>>61150559
>I wonder how you'd react when I tell you my favorite SY record is pic related?
I'd tell you that you have bad taste.
>>
Fake Train's a pretty good album, a bit longer than it needs to be so I think New Plastic Ideas is a maybe better cause it's tighter for sure. I've only listened to LTIU and those two so far but I love them all.
>>
Repetition has the higher highs for me, but New Plastic Ideas is the most consistent.
>>
I've only ever heard New Plastic Ideas. Where do I go from here?
>>
>>61151616
Forward! Or listen to Fake Train and then forward!!
>>
>>61151656
Thanks!
>>
>>61150188
I'm yet to find anyone on par but check out

Lync
Shipping News
Lowercase
>>
>>61150439
your opinion is wrong and you should feel really bad
>>
NPI is their best.

Challenge is massively underrated as well
>>
depending on how you define it, i think repetition might be better.
>>
>>61147943
It's everything that SFTB should be tbqh
>>
Future of What

Love the way the instruments are layered on most songs, the guitar almost has a function of creating atmosphere while the bass almost functions as a normal guitar role. I pretty much love everything about this album, if this album had come a few years earlier it would've been the most influential post-hardcore album ever. Yes I honestly believe this. But yeah, pretty much everything they've made is fucking golden.
>>
unwound is shit and i bet their rlly revered on reddit
>>
>>61150439
jesus christ, reconsider everything anon
>>
>what's your favorite by them
this one senpai
>why
i just like it a lot and find the song structures, time signatures and guitar pieces super interesting
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.