[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are you experiences so far with foreign music ? Depending
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: z2j61Ha.jpg (54 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
z2j61Ha.jpg
54 KB, 480x270
What are you experiences so far with foreign music ? Depending on your country

Do you listen to music that you can't understand ? (Let's avoid the kpop and derivees I don't want that in this thread)
>>
>>61137815
For some reason I thought that pic was about the colour of his hat last time I saw it.

Anyway most Dutch music is utter shit so I like foreign music.
>>
I'm American, listen to a ton of Korean, Japanese, and Chinese music (pop duh but also other stuff)
An Indian friend is helping me get more into some classical stuff from there at the moment and I'm really enjoying it so far
>>
I don't care about the language of the lyrics, lyrics are mostly shit anyway. Japan is probably the non-western country I listen to the most, they have some damn good noise rock and post-rock
>>
English is not my native language so sometimes I still have to make some effort to understand the lyrics
For that reason I mostly prefer instrumental music when I feel too lazy to pay attention you know
As for languages I know nothing about, I try to read about the song or take a hint from the context it was made
>>
I only listen to spanish (my native language) and english music because it's easier to get recs.
You ask for recs for french music and you'll get a lot of 80's ballads shit.
You ask for recs for japanese music and you'll get a lot of anime opening music.
>>
>>61137890
this

I also really like Raga's
>>
>>61137904
>You ask for recs for french music and you'll get a lot of 80's ballads shit.
>You ask for recs for japanese music and you'll get a lot of anime opening music.

?????????
>>
>>61137838
Op here, belgian (Brussels and french is my native but I can speak both languages)

I listen to some stuff and I like some national artist like Stromae, Selah Sue, Esmee Denters, Trijntje Oosterhuis and another dutch soul/pop album I can't remember

But I admit that I prefer UK and US artists.
>>
>>61137815
I don't care about lyrics, so I just listen to what I find interesting regardless of country.

Besides the obvious non-Anglocentric rock/pop/electronica, I've listened to Reggae, Dub, Afrobeat, MPB, Shibuya-kei, Yass, Raga, Gagaku, Gamelan, Flamenco and Conga. They're all pretty good.
>>
>>61137815
yeah I dig foreign stuff, like indica or z-effektor
https://youtu.be/W5hcJrvFmu8

https://youtu.be/oTPL6gCXDM8
>>
>>61137904
Well to be fair about frenchies, it was their time. Now it's rap/rnb/trap and it's shit. You're way better listen to old ballads than modern music.

Link related, it's modern shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bPGxLxogvw
>>
>>61137890
I don't mean to be rude. I really don't.
But how can you pretend to listen to music if you don't even get the meaning of the song ? Depending on the genre it might be more or less futile, but if you're deep into music and if you like the songs you're listening to, how come you don't care about that ?
>>
>>61137815
I like foreign music, almost never in a language i can't understan, being french, portuguese and itialian the exceptions. Music in spanish has great bands and a wide variety of genres but people locally only listen to the most annoying music you can imagine. Common rock music it's in their words junkies music.
>>
File: Louis-Jean Cormier.jpg (21 KB, 635x357) Image search: [Google]
Louis-Jean Cormier.jpg
21 KB, 635x357
Quebec = best music
Check this faggot out
>>
Where can i find really weird fucked up Indochinese shit?
>>
>>61138020
Lyrics are just not very good writing for the most part. I care much more about instrumentation and composition. Very few artists can pull off both at the same time
>>
>>61138020
You have a lot to learn, young one.
>>
>>61138139
For most genres, lyrics gives a certain depth in the song, it explains its meaning. And if the artist is good, he can sync the lyrics and the sound together to share the same thought the artist want you to have.

Simple exemple (yeah I know I'm too hyped over this guy, sorry) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ux5zHXzbmw
What do you feel from this without understanding the lyrics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aJw4chksqM
Read the lyrics

You can even take this one step further when you look into the artist's life when he made the album. I think about Chet Baker, Marvin gaye, ...

It goes without saying all that is possible if the artist did that intentionally, you can't find meaning in a simple stupid song without real thought behind.

>>61138190
Share a glimpse of your knowledge with me, ancien one.
>>
File: マキシマムザホルモン.jpg (155 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
マキシマムザホルモン.jpg
155 KB, 600x400
I like these guys. And that ミドリ album with the naked chick on the cover.
>>
File: Aida's Call.jpg (29 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
Aida's Call.jpg
29 KB, 300x297
i listen to a lot of Jap music because the nips are really great at making noisy shit, from harsh noise to hardcore punk, grind, noise rock and free jazz (pic related)

Kaoru Abe is probably my favorite nipponese artist, i love his sax tone even if it was headache inducing at first, i love this album in particular
>>
I sometimes dabble in a bit of krautrock but the only artist i l really like who sings in another language is Jacques Dutronc.
>>
>>61138313
i used to own Kusoban on CD way way back, still love MTH to this day.
>>
>>61138309
That seems to musically pretty straightforward in order to emphasize the lyrical content. I would say that artst is an exception, rather than the rule.
>>
>>61138634
Well what I wanted to show is the importance of the lyrics in a song. I still can't believe people in /mu/ listen to music like that. I can't get you all to re-think your habits but it doesn't make sense to me.
This song was a good exemple, Stromae likes to play joyful songs behind pretty deep lyrics (Papaoutai might be the easiest example).
>>
>>61138809
It may shock you to find that there are entire genres of music that have no lyrics at all.
>>
>>61138825
Sure, I do listen to that too, ironic anon. But you can't ignore what's not in the song.
That would be stupid to miss lyrics in a song without lyrics, but it's stupid to forget about the lyrics when they are actually lyrics.
>>
>>61137953
Dutchy here, Belgian music shits so hard on Dutch music in terms of pure artistry and delivery. Stromae is awesome!
>>
File: Karantamba - Ndigal.jpg (119 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Karantamba - Ndigal.jpg
119 KB, 600x600
>>61137815
Amerifat here. Lyrics are a very small part of my overall enjoyment of music, and I like a lot of music from other cultures, with lyrics or not, so sure I listen to music I can't understand the lyrics of.
>>
When I started playing accordion I ended up listening to a lot of eastern european music because the instrument is more prominent there.

One of my fav albums from czech republic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5JZkcoyrI
>>
>>61138020
>how can you pretend to listen to music if you don't even get the meaning of the song ?
Not sure how to answer that, frankly, as even with music with English lyrics I basically listen to the voice as just another instrument. The actual words barely register. But I listen to a great deal of instrumental music and am sincerely not pretending.
>>
File: a2663499936_10[1].jpg (576 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a2663499936_10[1].jpg
576 KB, 1200x1200
Yall niggas need to listen to some Fela Kuti.

Funnest music ever!
>>
>>61138000
The french probably had the best screamo scene in europe tho
>>
>>61138092
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wcLjT4nZQo This song took me through elementry school
>>
>>61137815
The majority of my foreign music is from UK, NL, Scotland, France, Belgium, and a little bit of Germany, so the majority of it is sung in English.
>>
>>61138020
because lyrics rarely connect me closer to a song personally.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.