[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>we are currently in the midst of an awesome idm revival >feels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 440x440
>we are currently in the midst of an awesome idm revival
>feels good man
>>
Squarepusher has gone to shit. Aphex Twin and Autechre are still makin good shit though. I can't wait for Autechre to release a new album
>>
the list could go on amirite?
>>
>>61134684
>>
>same artists from 20 years ago forced to release new albums for a quick buck
>idm revival
*yawns*
>>
File: 1435593041311.png (54 KB, 255x199) Image search: [Google]
1435593041311.png
54 KB, 255x199
>>61134736
>forced to release new albums for quick buck
jesus christ this board
>>
>>61134682
have you heard the new soundboard recordings? the original four especially the dublin set are amazing.

https://autechre.bleepstores.com/

and yeah squarepusher just isn't as good as those other two.
>>
"IDM" is pretty much the metal of electronic music

why do I always picture avid Aphex Twin fans as stay at home losers with long hair?
>>
>>61134835
Probably because it sounds like you've got a pretty bad case of the autism ::^_)
>>
File: 1446404494512.jpg (33 KB, 279x400) Image search: [Google]
1446404494512.jpg
33 KB, 279x400
>>61134835
>tfw I fit that exact description
>>
>>61134835
But you're wrong anon! I have short hair
>>
>>61134824
>the dublin set
I'm so fucking mad that I couldn't go to that gig.
>>
>>61134667
Exai > Bizarster > Syro > Neither/Neither > Tomorrow's Harvest > Chewed Corners > Reachy Prints > Damogen Furries
>>
>>61134873
This is very accurate
>>
>Arca
>OPN
>Clams
>Fly Lo
>Lotic
>HOUNDS
Im more interested in the experimental left field forward thinking electronic music sub culture
>>
>>61134935
>experimental left field forward thinking electronic music
that's what people said and still say of IDM, lol.
>>
>currently
>>
File: gentleman jack.jpg (9 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
gentleman jack.jpg
9 KB, 400x300
>>61134667
>intelligent dance music
>>
>>61134998
best SJ episode t.b.h.f.a.m.
>>
>>61134835
>why do I always picture avid Aphex Twin fans as stay at home losers with long hair?

>tfw actually me
>>
>>61134852
>>61135018
all me btw
>>
File: 1450254294137.png (90 KB, 238x276) Image search: [Google]
1450254294137.png
90 KB, 238x276
>>61134935
>tumblr-core memetronica
>good
>>
>>61134852
>>61135018
>>61135025
all him btw
>>
>>61134667
kylo ren-core
>>
always seen idm as introvert dance music, as opposed to edm
still beating repeat on analords.
not sure about syro
squarepusher has always been a bit different than other idm artists, more edm
autechre is good
not much going on in idm this year or the past 5 years.
>>
never understood the elitist mentality with idm fans
>>
>>61135166
interesting question

does /mu/ consider psyche stuff like Black Moth Super Rainbow to fall under the category of EDM?

Not really dance music, but it's danceable
>>
>>61135190
you can dance to glitch/breakcore, but it's still idm.
>>
>>61135190
yeah its edm
only fags care about calling shit IDM
just remember all u gotta do is remind idm fags that hip hop is electronic music too and they sperge out
>>
>>61135242
only americans care about calling dance music/electronica "EDM"
>>
>>61135242
hey, if you can listen to commercial house while sitting at home alone, after you've been introduced to idm, you should try hip hop.
>>
>>61135255
no that's not true. 90% of "edm" producers are from yuropoor
>>
>>61135187
If IDM was called EDM (Experimental Dance Music) the community would be far less elitist.
>>
>>61135270
80% of people who call bleepbloop music "EDM" are from merryfatland
>>
>>61135242
Pretty sure Autechre describe themselves as hip hop for that exact reason
>>
>>61135277
Only Murrica could ever come up with a term like IDM and then spend 20 years not understanding it
>>
>>61135297
>>Only Murrica could ever come up with a term like IDM
wrong, learn your history

>spend 20 years not understanding it
this is true though
>>
>>61135370
The first use of the term was the naming of the IDM mailing list, which was hosted by Hyperreal
The term was coined by Alan Parry, an American
>>
>>61135399
uh before IDM there was "electronic listening music", and before that "intelligent techno"

you can call it whatever, it was a UK genre that wanted dance music to return to it's scientific detroit techno roots and abandon the dumb numbness of breakbeat-oriented hardcore dance music
>>
>>61135422
Intelligent Techno was never used in the UK
Only time Electronic Listening Music was ever used was when Warp needed a subtitle
>>
File: intech.png (47 KB, 722x400) Image search: [Google]
intech.png
47 KB, 722x400
>>61135454
>Intelligent Techno was never used in the UK
nuh-huh

https://is.muni.cz/th/105978/ff_b/BA_Thesis_-_Rave_Scene_as_a_Specific_Part_of_Youth_Culture_in_Britain.pdf
http://www.ncimusic.com/tutorial/history/electronica/technoeng.html
>>
>>61135454
>>61135399
read Energy Flash ffs
>>
>>61135501
Simon Reynolds wasn't even there til about 92, he's as clueless as most Americans
Which is probably why he moved there
>>
>>61135492
That's not a UK source
>>
>>61135512
he's got a bigger clue than a bunch of underage teenagers who recite senseless baseless memes on 4chan, in any case.
>>
>>61135527
Speak for yourself
>>
>>61135523
>In 1991 UK music journalist Matthew Collin wrote that "Europe may have the scene and the energy, but it's America which supplies the ideological direction...if Belgian techno gives us riffs, German techno the noise, British techno the breakbeats, then Detroit supplies the sheer cerebral depth."[120] By 1992 a number of European producers and labels began to associate rave culture with the corruption and commercialization of the original techno ideal.[121] Following this the notion of an intelligent or Detroit inspired pure techno aesthetic began to take hold. Detroit techno had maintained its integrity throughout the rave era and was pushing a new generation of so-called intelligent techno producers forward. Simon Reynolds suggests that this progression "involved a full-scale retreat from the most radically posthuman and hedonistically functional aspects of rave music toward more traditional ideas about creativity, namely the auteur theory of the solitary genius who humanizes technology."[122]
eat a dick

>>61135538
lol ok turny
>>
>>61135547
>so-called
By who?
>>
>>61135559
by the press

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9ysEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq="intelligent+techno"+"britain"
>>
>>61134736
Kys
>>
>>61135580
Care to actually find any mention of the phrase prior to the formation of the IDM list?
>>
>>61135607
there's this from 1993

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=83McAQAAIAAJ&q="intelligent+techno"
>>
>>61135650
You need something from 92
>>
>>61135650
Also - that's American
>>
>>61135657
idk

there's a bunch of mags from 19994 that mention IDM and intelligent techno but nothing before that (sans some sci-fi stuff that's not musically related). the mass media didn't really care about the commercialization of dance music until 1993 it seems, I stand corrected

still a bunch of books and academic essays saying that IDM emerged around 1990-1993 as a counter measure to commercialized hardcore dance music, though
>>
>>61135751
>19994
meant 1993/1994
>>
>>61135751
It was more of a natural progression than a reaction to anything
Ambient Techno and the like we're around for a couple of years before Breakbeat Hardcore was even a thing

And some of the early IDM artists even made Hardcore themselves (Aphex, Autechre, Reload, Plaid)
>>
>>61134667

https://vimeo.com/146106501

This could be considered idm right?
>>
>>61135792
the way I see it it was a confrontation between relaxed dance music (trance, house, ambient techno) against the more frenzy styles of dance music (breakbeat hardcore, hardcore techno) with "intelligent dance music" and "intelligent techno" being random descriptors of ambient house/ambient techno that somehow managed to turn into a genre of their own

also the relaxed side wasn't the only one who had a grudge against the mainstream sound of dance music - isn't darkcore just breakbeat hardcore answering to the commercialization of hardcore and happy hardcore specifically which was filling-up the charts and clubs at the time?

the relaxed side was definately ignorant in assuming that all hardcore music was as rabid and commercial as the chart-topping happy styles though
>>
>>61135792
also this tune is way ahead of it's time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMGP1KOrYKw
>>
>>61135868
I don't think there was any real confrontation desu
Labels like Retroactive and Eevolute were putting out stuff that was really a continuation of techno, while at the same time you had associations with Plus-8 and UR and other labels that were putting out quite boisterous stuff at the time (even the original Warp AI compilation had a banger from Hawtin on there)
but the indie press latched onto this new music immediately, mainly because they had been alienated by rave until that point
and that's when people like Reynolds popped up with their alternate timeline
>>
>>61135868
>relaxed dance music
>frenzy styles of dance music
More like confrontation between pretentious techno purists and hedonist raveheads.
>>
>>61136097
Nah, there's definitely a confrontation between techno heads and breakbeat nerds that's alive even in this day and age. /bleep/ is a prime example of this, what with outsider house and industrial techno fans shitting on jungle and footwork.
>>
>>61136155
Oh there is now
But thats after literally 20 years of America being told they don't know shit about dance music, and then spending 4 years trying to reclaim it

and they can't reclaim Hardcore in the same way they can reclaim Techno (unless they come up with another umbrella term like 'Breakbeat')
(oh wait)
>>
>>61136165
Also it should be obvious that there's a racial element to all of this which is way more pronounced in the US than anywhere else
(This is one of the main reasons hip hop exists to begin with, as a reaction to the Manhattan Disco scene)

And you can still see this today (esp places like this where a lot of posters are American or Americanised) where techno is seen as predominantly a white scene and anything with breakbeats or rapping is seen as black, and /bleep/ has been guilty of this kind of distinction for a while now without even realising it
>>
most people in the thread are horribly misinformed

we're not in the middle of an IDM revival, IDM is dead, it had it's time and it needs to stay dead - Syro was a great album and technically extremely impressive but still got shat on because it didn't innovate; it was full of mid 90s ideas (not saying it's bad but it's just a refinement of what AFX has been doing for the last 20 years)

Autechre are patch wizards but even they accept that IDM has fallen off, every album they create is always influenced slightly by the recent music trends - the only reason they're still called IDM is because people are still grasping at this genre classification

Saw Squarepusher live this year, he's really gone to shit and this isn't surprising because he's been out of ideas since about 2007, he's trying to tap his way into the EDM scene whilst still not compromising his jazz wanking and so isn't really appealing to anyone these days

IDM is to the current trend of experimental techno, 'outsider house' etc what disco was to first wave house. IDM was important but it's neither cool, interesting, fashionable, profitable nor experimental to be an IDM artist, where in the 90s IDM was the peak of electronic music experimentation, now it's impossible to find an IDM album which isn't just worship of this era

"the next fascists will be anti-fascists" - winston churchill, 1945
"the next IDM will be not-IDM" - me, right now
>>
I'm just waiting the new BoC album.
Hopefully it'll be a rework of the unreleased Geogaddi songs and not 'apocalyptic' shit.
>>
>>61136227
it was never idm to begin with
you fucked up when you listed 0 people who use idm to describe their own stuff

had you said 'richard devine', you'd have a point
>>
>>61136240
i'm not trying to get into the 'what is IDM' argument because i'm sure that people talk about this much more than the music itself

was just making a case in point because a majority of the listeners of these artists call the music IDM, whether the artists don't associate this isn't really relevant because they still get labelled as such

fuck richard devine though, he's like the homeopathy salesman of electronic music
>>
>>61136253
It was fucking tiny compared to what was happening in Europe at the time
Most house/techno artists in the early 90s made all their bank in Europe
>>
>>61136165
>20 years of America being told they don't know shit about dance music
You mean the mainstream didn't know shit about dance music, right? The US had and still has flourishing underground dance music scenes. Most euro genres are riding on American underground creations.
What you clearly mean is that dance music has finally hit the american mainstream after years of ignoring and detesting dance music. Frankly, it was for the best back then.
>>
>>61136269
>It was fucking tiny
But the impact was massive.
>>
>>61136263
yeah, well not just mainstream US but also indie US, no one took dance music seriously until they were told it was ok to do so because it was intelligent because it's from the uk so it must be, right?
(meanwhile in a terraced house in rochdale 5 kids roll around the floor on acid listening to coil)
pretty sure Aphex, Autechre and Squarepusher have always made music in response to other music
unless they're deaf or something which is really really unlikely
>>
>>61136227
What I wonder is what will Arca imitators be calling their music style 15 years from now. Vaporwave? Tumblrtronica? The current wave of experimental producers don't have a single name for themselves like 90's producers had.
>>
>>61136305
they should consider themselves lucky, honestly
>>
>>61134873
>Syro > Tomorrow's Harvest

don't get ahead of yourself
>>
>>61136272
every FUCKING thread about electronic music there's this one guy

YES techno started in america
YES house started in america
YES garage started in america
YES footwork started in america

but NO if it remained in america it would not have become the way that it is today

the cycle of this always happens
>underground scene in america develops, often to accomodate a minority group or region
>european artists pick up on this, are influenced by it, and innovate the genre, the small underground scene in america becomes a huge, semi-mainstream scene
>america sees european success, decides to capitalize on this, the music becomes a soulless mainstream bastardisation of the original
>this new version becomes popular in the US, europe keeps their offshoots

>>61136296
what are you even trying to say
nobody uses IDM to actually mean intelligent music, it's just a descriptor that stuck

>>61136305
what >>61136317 said, it's so much better to be able to find unique music under multiple different descriptors rather than trying to dig through crates of hundreds of records labelled IDM which was as disparate as Venetian Snares to BoC
>>
>>61136327
>nobody uses IDM to actually mean intelligent music
i'm really not so sure about this being true today
but it was definitely not true 20 years ago
>>
>>61136352
yeah okay whatever we all know there were elitist music fans of IDM in the 90s but i don't see your point, so what, who cares, we're talking about the present

Personally i think if there's one artist who has kind of taken the crown of IDM (in its current incarnation) is definitely Actress
>>
>>61136305
vaporwave/tumblrtronica is already in it's IDM circa 2005 state (in that it's flooded by talentless hacks and copycat "artists" to the point it's no longer worth paying attention to)

to quote some guy's blog
>Bandcamp was a great time to discover new artists not just from Japan, but from all over the world. Then, starting around 2014, something changed. The Bandcamp "new arrival" tag for Japan became crowded with albums featuring cover shots seemingly ripped from old VHS tape, with katakana and kanji slathered on top. The inside looked more or less the same, with song titles written in Japanese, sometimes making sense, but oftentimes reading like ad copy or pure nonsense. It usually took a little bit of clicking around to realize the person who made this was more likely to live in Tacoma or Tampa than Tokyo.

>At some point in 2015, these badly photoshopped, boring homages to the first generation of vaporwave -- which had been released unobtrusively through Mediafire for the most part -- outnumbered releases from real Japanese artists. For a while, I just stopped using Bandcamp as a place to explore new Japanese music, because everything tagged "Japan" seemed like a lie. it was annoying, but not as annoying as toggling over to the "best-selling" section and seeing the exact same thing. And all of the albums seemed to come primarily from one place (Dream Catalogue).

vapowave is far more cancerous than "intelligent" dance music in this regard because it actually takes away chances to discover genuine interesting music from niche/obscure countries and places
>>
>>61136395
there was never anything called idm to begin with (and therefore nothing to abandon), your point is invalid
>>
>>61136455
honestly what point are you trying to make? or are you here to just make this thread go in circles
>>
>>61134667
Exai is the only good album prove me wrong
>>
>>61136444
>japanese artists can no longer share their music on bandcamp in fear of being ignored as a yet another vaporwave artist
/mu/ memes have finally killed music

bravo /mu/
>>
>>61134935
Half of those pretty much make what could be classified as "IDM" but of course it's not cool to group it like that lol
>>
>>61136497
i'm pointing out that your posts have all been nonsense

>idm is dead
>actress is idm

>and autechre are not idm

i dunno, you just seem a bit confused
>>
>>61136548
stop strawmanning

cba to talk with somebody any more who essentially said "IDM isn't dead because IDM never existed XD"
>>
>>61136567
bye then
>>
>>61134935
Left field is just a pretentious way to say Intelligent Dance Music.
>>
I see no problem with the term "IDM".
Music like Aphex Twin and Squarepusher LITERALLY requires more intelligence to make. What's wrong with pointing that out?
>>
>>61134667
The last Squarepusher album was fucking terrible.

None of those 3 have ever stopped releasing...it's not a revival.
>>
>>61134736
u r not smart
>>
>>61134835
Because you're small-minded.
>>
>>61136165
>Oh there is now
How many og detroit techno fans do you know that also happen to be big into breakbeat hardcore?

Alternatively, how many detroit techno producers can you list who have also produced breakbeat hardcore music? Go on, I'll wait
>>
>>61136711
reese, carl craig, juan did a slow one or two, think that just leaves derrick
>>
>>61134935
Can't tell if you're joking but yeh...all those artists are very much indebted to Aphex.

I like Arca, OPN and Lotic...Clams and FlyLo have fallen off and Hounds were never good.
>>
>>61136719
Well damn. Cheers buddy
>>
There's a big of a revival in the "style" I'd say, but it's not really called IDM anymore, and I'd say for good reason - I think it's smart to shed those 90s connotations and the pretentious and non-descriptive name.

People like M.E.S.H and artists on PAN like Helm and yes, even people like Arca all share many of the characteristics, but it might just be because of the climate in music atm rather than being directly influenced by it. Or it's more that they're influenced by the artists who were always (unfairly imo) dumped into the label of "IDM." Like, some dude at BoomKat was saying records are sounding more like Autechre than they have in a long time, even though there was a period (2005 to around almost now tbqh) where it was utterly uncool to sound like them. Like, it even pops up a bit on the newest Lurka record. I don't even really have a point - I'm just thinking out loud.

I will say though, as someone mentioned earlier, while I think it would be naive to say that IDM wasn't a reaction against hardcore, I wouldn't say it was an intrinsically negative one - at least coming from the artists (as someone mentioned many likes it or even made it). Or course the record execs and journos are a different story but w/e. It's more of that maybe many certain artists maybe liked some of those aspects of dance, but they wanted to move it to a different environment (mostly do they could just sit around doing acid to it lol). I actually read a recent interview with Sean Booth where he sort of goes into why they started making the music they do, as opposed to the the hardcore stuff like Cavity Job. I just don't believe that IDM was as a negative reactionary stance as American journos have made it out to be.
>>
>>61136662
>music like Aphex Twin and Squarepusher LITERALLY requires more intelligence to make
nigga that's some subjective and elitist view of intelligence
I bet you think Squarepusher's new material is good too
>>
>>61136711
Maybe not exactly breakbeat hardcore, but Gerald Donald tends to be a unifier.
>>
File: 54516.jpg (245 KB, 808x808) Image search: [Google]
54516.jpg
245 KB, 808x808
>>61136753
>People like M.E.S.H and artists on PAN like Helm and yes, even people like Arca
Good recs.

Arca and Objekt's LP from last year in particular sound like something you'd find on SKAM Records.
>>
>>61136793
I don't think intelligence is the right term but it does take a greater understanding of music and more time+effort.

Them's the facts.
>>
>>61136793
:^)

i have actually seen people saying shit like that, but it's always if they think of idm relative to edm
>>
>>61136740
this one's straight-up (reese)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVAOIBipFxM
these are a bit more dabbling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-afauA_gPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGDOyKPjK1s

but there are a ton of overlaps, mills used to be 'the wizard', check his 80s hip hop mixes
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.