[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vinyl Record Collecting Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: audiotechnica-atlp60bk_grande.jpg (90 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
audiotechnica-atlp60bk_grande.jpg
90 KB, 600x600
>pic related, the turntable I'm getting
Hey /mu/, I've decided to join in on the fad and start a vinyl record collection. However, I know next to nothing about it. Just hoping you guys could answer a few questions/give me some advice.

Do I really need a brush and expensive sleeves? I'm planning on at least getting a cheap wet-cleaning kit and a stylus brush. I found 50 sleeves on amazon for $20, but that seems a bit steep.

What could I use for storage? I know they need to be upright, dry, etc. But I'm not going to buy a specific container. Would a bookshelf work if I made sure they were vertical?

I'm planning on getting most of my records from yard sales, flea markets, etc. But for specific albums, is discogs a good place to buy?

This'll probably be archived with no replies, but just thought I'd try.

Thanks
>>
/mu/ is shit for this, try one of the vinyl subreddits or a vinyl forum
>>
1. That's a bad turntable, damages records over time and is generally a lot lower of quality than the AT-LP120.

2. I recommend you spend the money on a nicer brush and especially the turntable, both of those are going to be a lot nicer to have in the long run than what you currently plan on getting.

3. Of course, a bookshelf isn't gonna cause any problems if you take care of your records.

4. Discogs is fine for specific albums, watch out because shipping is a bitch. Amazon is pretty great for getting most albums that are still in circulation due to the free shipping.
>>
I heard the lp60 is bad, there's no counterweight. Get the lp120 instead.
>>
So let's just go over this. You're buying a turntable with a plastic tone arm and no counterweight, and you make no mention in your post of what kind of receiver/amplifier you plan on using.

You're blowing money on a wet cleaning kit and pre-ordering plastic sleeves for the records you plan on wet-cleaning then destroying with your shitty plastic tone arm.

And you come to /mu/ not with the right questions:

>is this a good turntable?
no
>should I buy a new turntable?
no
>should I waste money on a wet cleaning kit?
no
>should I spend most of my budget on high-quality used speakers and a good receiver?
yes
>do I need to order plastic sleeves for my records?
yes if you're gay

No, you just want to know what to put your records (which you don't even have yet) in.

>
>

milk crates.
>>
>>61121411
>I will not
>I will not
Jesus christ. You want to jump into this meme player but you don't want to actually get into it.

First tip: Vinyl is expensive. If you're a poor fag or a cheapass, fuck off now and stick with your itunes.

The most important part besides the record is the actual turntable and needle.

If you're getting older flea market buys 99/100 times they have not been cleaned in decades. You need a cleaning solution and soft brush/pad.

Paper sleeves are decent if you don't give a fuck. I have coated sleeves because I want to preserve these relics.

Also duck off and just buy a vinyl containter. The more you get, the heavier this shit gets. If you have cheapass Target or WalMart bookshelfs then expect problems.
>>
>>61121411

> yeah, you'll need a brush for wiping shit of records and some way of cleaning your stylus. these will be cheap compared to all the records you're buying, so just get some. if your records are not worth paying $0.4 more to keep them in the same shape, your probably OK with whatever shit, but most records you cherish will be worth the nice sleeves

> bookshelf is as good as any - as a Northern European I just use all that Ikea shit that many others do because the storage units and shelves fit records great and are very affordable

> DIscogs is generally good, but I like having trusted sellers I buy from regularly and who generally stock stuff I like and are then willing to look out for specific rare shit for me, so I think establishing some connections is good in the long term

I have a full time job with stable income and not that much free time, so I've found it more pleasing to get rarer shit than dig around for bargains, but to each his own.
>>
>>61121555

This anon is right. You are gonna buy a wet cleaning kit and plastic sleeves just so you can wear you records out faster with a shit turntable?

You got it backwards m8.

Your turntable should at least have a counterweight
>>
>>61121411
IF you want good advice:

I suggest you should spend your money in this order:

1. Decent turntable (w/ adjustable counterweight and antiskating) / decent cartridge / decent preamp - listen before buying if possible. Both good cartridge and preamp are crucial for good sound, so don't cut costs there. Integrated strobe and pitch correction are very useful things to have on a turntable.

2. Outer sleeves with resealable flaps (best ones imho)

3. Finally, records. I suggest you not to go below VG+ condition if you want to listen to music, not crackles. VG might be listenable too, but this usually lowest useable condition - buy with caution. Don't buy G+ and below, unless you don't mind your records sounding like shit.

If you are going to buy used records, most likely they'll need cleaning with vacuum record cleaning machine - either find someone to clean them for you, or buy one yourself if you have spare money.

If you plan to have a lot of records, DO NOT buy Ikea and similar shelves. They are very prone to breaking if you put something heavy on them. DIY shelves is best option if you are on budget.

Do not buy pirated records and counterfeits, they are usually made sloppily and are badly mastered from CDs. Search for info on specific new reissues of older albums, as lots of them sound crappy. Never buy picture disc if same album is also available in black vinyl.
>>
>>61121411
>buying records from yard sales

HAR HAR
>>
File: turntable1.jpg (956 KB, 1693x1553) Image search: [Google]
turntable1.jpg
956 KB, 1693x1553
here's some guide's from the wiki, a bit much but it was useful for me

>>61123753
that's how you get rare stuff for cheap
>>
File: turntable2.jpg (1 MB, 2572x3040) Image search: [Google]
turntable2.jpg
1 MB, 2572x3040
>>61123818
>>
File: Turntable3.jpg (2 MB, 3288x2108) Image search: [Google]
Turntable3.jpg
2 MB, 3288x2108
>>61123842
>>
Is the Technics SL-D20 a good choice for records?
>>
>>61124131
better than crosley and similar shit (if fully working), but there are lots of better choices
>>
>>61124214
it would be better than an AT-60 thought would it?
>>
>>61124309
it would
>>
>>61124433
Neato, i'm gonna go order it thanks anon
>>
>>61124724
just be sure to get a new stylus, old one will most likely be worn
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.