[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is she the Bowie of our generation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
Is she the Bowie of our generation?
>>
damon albarn is
>>
There can be no Bowie of our gen since androgyny is common now.

ST. Vincent loves Bowie and her music kinda sounds like his at points.
Ariel Pink is flamboyant but has nowhere near the fame and he's more reserved too.

Your pic related is nothing like him

Seeing Bowie is coming back in 2016, Bowie is the Bowie of our generation.
>>
File: annie.jpg (564 KB, 817x1225) Image search: [Google]
annie.jpg
564 KB, 817x1225
>>61118047
No, that's Annie Clark. Grimes is the new Bjork (the playful & quirky Bjork from the 90s, not the pretentious one after that).
>>
But Bowie is still active.
>>
No, Bowie was good looking
>>
>>61118122
He's going to die soon
>>
>>61118140
no u
>>
>>61118140
>Bowie
>dying
He's a vampire m8 he's not even alive
>>
>>61118047
No it's obviously Ariel Pink
>>
>>61118121
>Grimes is the new Bjork

She's not even near Björk senpai
>>
File: grimes & bjork.jpg (471 KB, 1990x1297) Image search: [Google]
grimes & bjork.jpg
471 KB, 1990x1297
>>61118047
>>61118121

Common things between Grimes & Bjork:
- weird voices
- quirky, playful personalities
- strange fashion sense
- interesting live shows
- acclaimed electronic music
- dedicated fanbase
- obscure albums before the proper breakthrough albums (Grimes has Geidi Primes & Halfaxa, Bjork has S/T album from 1977)
- eclectic music taste.
>>
>>61118174
She totally is. 90s Bjork more exactly. Art Angels & Visions are on par with Debut & Post. Grimes didn't make her Homogenic yet tho.
>>
>>61118244
Differences between Grimes and Bjork:
Bjork is good
Grimes is not
>>
>>61118244
>voice
>personality
>fashion sense (I strongly disagree with this one but just go with it)
>live shows (??? where'd you get that idea)
>acclaimed
>fanbase
>album release history (again, not slightly close since The Sugarcubes was a big thing)

These are all unrelated to the actual content of the music, which is way different. Grimes is indie pop while Bjork always mastered multiple genres in one album (Debut) or did things no one had ever done before (Homogenic).

>eclectic music taste
I don't know Grime's taste but there's no point in having taste if every song in your album belongs to the same genre.

>Human Behaviour
>Big Time Sensuality
>Anchor Song
>Come to Me

Do you see how all of these are different from each other? Björk is way past waifu pop.
>>
>>61118317
both are bad
>>
>>61118329
Grimes's taste: http://actuallygrimes.tumblr.com/post/68766415705/greatest-songs-of-all-time-lauryn-hill-killing-me
>>
>>61118317
LOL. I can't take you seriously.

>>61118329
>live shows (??? where'd you get that idea)
Did you actually attend a Grimes show?

>album release history (again, not slightly close since The Sugarcubes was a big thing)
The Sugarcubes is a separate thing. That's why I mentioned that 1977 album.

>These are all unrelated to the actual content of the music, which is way different.
Way different? It's still twisted electronic pop music, bro.

>Grimes is indie pop while Bjork always mastered multiple genres in one album (Debut) or did things no one had ever done before (Homogenic).
Leaving aside Homogenic, her other 2 albums are pretty close to Grimes's albums.

>I don't know Grime's taste but there's no point in having taste if every song in your album belongs to the same genre.

Copied from Wikipedia:
>Marilyn Manson, Christina Aguilera, Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Cocteau Twins, How to Dress Well, Swans, Dizzee Rascal, Dandi Wind, Beyoncé, Mariah Carey, Enya, TLC, Aphex Twin, Outkast, Jedi Mind Tricks, Dungeon Family, Drake, Lana Del Rey, as well as K-pop, medieval music and industrial artists.

Pretty eclectic if you ask me.

>Do you see how all of these are different from each other? Björk is way past waifu pop.
They're different, right. But her more electronic songs definitely could be compared with Grimes. Same inventive kind of music.
>>
Bowie is the Bowie of our generation
>>
>>61118329
Also stop putting Bjork on a pedestal. She's a great artist but not beyond criticism.
>>
File: 832131578519746893_975340893.jpg (87 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
832131578519746893_975340893.jpg
87 KB, 640x640
>>61118329
>I don't know Grime's taste but there's no point in having taste if every song in your album belongs to the same genre.
> California, Scream, Venus Fly, Kill V.Maim
> same genre
>>
>>61118454
>pop and meme-rap

yeah... so eclectic.
>medieval music, industrial artists the list goes on
>>
>>61118047
Silly OP, women can't be lizards.
>>
File: 1398041915515.jpg (74 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1398041915515.jpg
74 KB, 640x640
Bowie for the 2000s was Kevin Barnes.

Bowie for the 2010s is David Bowie.
>>
File: Grimes vs Bjork.png (108 KB, 1400x1226) Image search: [Google]
Grimes vs Bjork.png
108 KB, 1400x1226
>>61118329
One more thing about Grimes: unlike Bjork, she did everything (except mixing) by herself. Singing, songwriting, playing instruments, producing, even the cover art.

Bjork relied on an army of talented musicians. Just look at the credits of her albums. Without all those people (a literal army), her albums would be the same? I doubt it.

From this perspective Grimes is WAY more talented.
>>
>>61118614
Don't be an ass.

>pop and meme-rap
>Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Dandi Wind, Aphex Twin, Jedi Mind Tricks, medieval music, industrial artists, Cocteau Twins, Swans
>pop?
>>
>>61118748
Most of those are pop, yes.
>>
>>61118810
It seems that you have a twisted definition of what is pop. Let me guess: you're a snob.

If that's pop, then stuff like Mariah Carey, Beyonce, One Direction, Pitbull, what it is?
>>
>>61118833
shitty pop?
>>
>>61118047

bet she already want to quit music
>>
>>61118872
lol
>>
>>61118174
>>61118121
>>61118244
>>61118359
>>61118698
Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, and fuck you! Who next?
>>
>>61118698
It's almost like Bjork uses an orchestra or something
Not to mention she's miles above Grimes as far as production and vocals go
>>
>>61118948
*slowly raises hand*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1fnBV2sZaU
>>
>>61118387
>AnCo
>Burial
>Butthole Surfer
>Tool
>Elliot Smith
>Joanna Newsom
>nickis verse on monster
honestly not bad
>>
>>61118976
>tying to find excuses
Just admit that Bjork isn't that genius.
>>
>>61118474

This tbqh.
>>
Grimesfags are fucking retarded
>>
>>61118988
Underage confirmed
>>
>>61119058
I never said she was
But all of those personnel credits are part of an orchestra
And in terms of production, Bjork is still the main producer, and there's a team of other people on mixing and styling. Pretty standard fare for a major label release
>>
>>61119086
>their opinion is different than my opinion
>they must be retarded
Your logic stinks, retard.
>>
>>61119122
No, they just straight up ignore evidence and spout fucking memes
Grimes fans are insufferable
>>
>>61119005
Lol, finally someone actually looked at this actual evidence instead of just mindlessly bickering. Good work!
>>
>>61119122
Visions and Art Angels are two of the most overrated albums of this decade. Fuck off with your gimmicky "artist".
>>
>>61119101
There are WAY too many people involved (almost like a major popstar album). A genius is capable of making music with very little resources. With that many people working for her albums, how can be sure what's really Bjork's input?

Overdubbing exists for decades: she could play and record every instrument if she wanted.
>>
Just like Bowie, I like her singles but don't understand her style at all.
>>
No one talks about her music because its doo doo
>>
>>61119130
>No, they just straight up ignore evidence
What evidence?

>and spout fucking memes
What memes? Give me an example from this thread.

>Grimes fans are insufferable
I'm glad to hear that. They're insufferable to contrarians and trolls.

>>61119147
Fuck off too. These albums are great. Deal with it.
>>
>>61119195
>No one talks about her music because its doo doo
>No one talks about her music
>No one talks about her
>No one
>No
No
>>
File: 53713430.jpg (563 KB, 1200x792) Image search: [Google]
53713430.jpg
563 KB, 1200x792
>>61118880
>>
>>61119172
I mean, Grimes doesn't know how to use a fucking MIDI clock so I don't know what you're talking about

First of all, orchestras are rather large, and so naturally there's going to be a large amount of personnel. You still have to write the fucking arrangements for the entire orchestra (no small feat), and Bjork does that as well. Other than that, there are no other instruments, and Bjork (as well as a number of other people she directly collaborates with) handle all of the production/synth work on the albums.

I'm not even going to discuss how retarded the overdubbing statement is, but orchestral instruments aren't like guitar or bass in that they can be picked up immediately. They take years of practice to proficiently use, and in that time it's more sensible to use an orchestra than overdub thirty amateurish violin tracks

No amount (or lack thereof) of personnel makes someone a genius. It's the end product that matters, not the means
>>
>>61118047
The verdict is still out. She has been active for only like 6 years. Bowie has the ability to reinvent himself despite what decade he's living in. Sonically her music is all very homogeneous, not to say that couldn't change in the future. In comparison, Bowie has dabbled in so many different styles. Personally I doubt she will be relevant in the next 10 years.
>>
does bjork write her own songs? does she write for the orchestra?
she at least writes her own lyrics right?
>>
>>61119320
Yes
Yes
and Yes
>>
>>61118698
" I’ve done music for, what, 30 years? I’ve been in the studio since I was 11.[...] I’ve sometimes thought about releasing a map of all my albums and just making it clear who did what. But it always comes across as so defensive that, like, it’s pathetic. I could obviously talk about this for a long time."

"I spend 80% of the writing process of my albums on my own. I write the melodies. I’m by the computer. I edit a lot. That for me is very solitary. I don’t want to be photographed when I’m doing that. I don’t invite people around. The 20% of the album process when I bring in the string orchestras, the extras, that’s documented more. That’s the side people see. "
>>
>>61119249
>I mean, Grimes doesn't know how to use a fucking MIDI clock so I don't know what you're talking about
Source? Even if that would be true, what does that have to do with the actual songwriting and actual playing of the synths? And you can do electronic music without knowing what the hell is a MIDI clock (she works in Ableton Live anyway).

>No amount (or lack thereof) of personnel makes someone a genius. It's the end product that matters, not the means
Idiotic statement. If I steal someone's idea for an invention, does that mean I'm a genius? If other people play on my album and I just put my name on the cover does that mean I'm a genius?

A genius is totally defined by the means used to achieved something. You're considered a genius if you actually did/created that great thing.
>>
>>61119313
If we consider the ability to reinvent herself, Grimes is definitely not the new Bowie. Yet.

PS: That would be Madonna.
>>
>>61118112
this
>>
>>61118274
sorry, those albums aren't similar.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.