[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This isn't just the bet Tame Impala record, it's one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (341 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
341 KB, 720x720
This isn't just the bet Tame Impala record, it's one of the best of the year and possibly the decade. Kevin uses the synths and drum machines like Schubert used the piano and Brian Wilson used the studio, crafting songs with loads of text painting to craft pop art songs. From the suspenseful sustained chords of Let it Happen to the musical drama in Yes I'm Changing to the never resolving tension in Eventually, this is a masterpiece in pop music unrivaled by all but the greatest of all time.
>>
Lonerism was better because he wasn't acting like a pretentious twit
>>
>>61115551
Lonerism doesn't have half the inspiration of Currents.
>>
File: qtboysomg.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
qtboysomg.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
Tame Impala is hands down the best band in the world right now. They are not pretty good, they are pretty incredible. But more than just how good they are, They represent the first ripple in a massive change that we are about to go through musically as well as culturally. I think that over the course of the next 10 years we are going to see a sort of mini-renaissance similar to what we saw in the late 50s-60s post war. With pot and gay marriage soon to be legal federally its gonna be a whole new world. 2012 end of the world isn't the end of human life, its the end of one way of thinking and the start of another. Pot...cash...crop...money! As someone already said here on RYM, The united states will be the only country in the world were pot is legal federally. We are gonna have jobs again, and money to burn. Money to spend on art and music. In a sense, a need will be created for GOOD art and music. Not something that is coldy manufactured by hitmakers. Tame Impala is leading the charge! They are proving that people CAN tell the difference between real and manufactured music! Im not saying Tame Impala are the next Beatles but they are making enough waves to make change. Moral of story, Tame Impala Rocks!!!! They (kevin park) are making real beautiful music that only happens when a talented person commits a lot of time to something that they are passonate about. Tame Impala is a real life "bedroom" band, they way it is meant to be.
>>
>>61115566
That's a good thing. It was simple pop
>>
>>61115551we're talking about the music, not the musicians character.
>>
>>61115570
Thanks for ruining my quality post with your straw man bullshit.
>>
>>61115551
Lonerism was good but if you seriously think it's less pretentious than Currents you are delusional. Currents is easily AOTY
>>
It's boring, they relate way too much on keyboards.
It's shitty 80's shit rip off.
>>
>They say people never change, but that's bullshit, they do

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>61115605
Good retort to my post.
>>
the instagram of music
>>
>>61115630
A high schooler wrote that review
Literally, he was in high school
>>
/mu/ hates discussing music.
>>
>>61115538
>blatantly copies the '80s with little originality
>OMG OMG AOTY MY PARENTS LIKED STUFF LIKE THIS SO IT MUST BE GOOD

Stop with that. It's a solid record, but not their best. It didn't have the innovation (of psych rock) that Innerspeaker did, nor the variety or consistency of Lonerism.

It's a 7/10 at best, and their other records shit all over it. Because I'm a Man is fucking shit, but New Person, Same Old Mistakes is conteder for SOTY.
>>
>>61115721
None of that talks about the quality of the compositions. Did you even read my post?
>>
some of the tunes are very catchy

(this is what I say about pop music when I like it but can't admit that I like it because it's pop music)
>>
>>61115726
the fact that you're expecting a well written critique on /mu/ is stupider than the stuff people post honestly
>>
>>61115699
It's fucking tame impala kevin makes solid music, but there's nothing really to discuss over them.
if you wanna stroke you're e-penis over this album go do some googling and find a forum that loves them like you do.
or make you're own youtube video and talk about it

seems like you want us to spoonfeed you
>>
>>61115538
6/10 this record. THis record defines mediocre.

The songs dont really change up.Only a few songs stood out and the others are all fillers.

Innervision is much better tbqh.
>>
>>61115726
They're songwriting was predictable and hackneyed (and too indebted to the 80s) for most of Currents, unlike their first two records, which makes this less enjoyable in my eyes.
>>
File: 1450401284055.gif (3 MB, 399x265) Image search: [Google]
1450401284055.gif
3 MB, 399x265
>>61115763
>innervision
>>
Yes I'm changing Let it Happen and The Less I know the better were really good songs.
>>
>>61115813
the vocoder effects on let it happen might be the peak of the whole album, great song actually
>>
>>61115766
Listen to music with your ears.
>>
>>61115797
ayy I meant innerspeaker. was too lazy look it up.
>>
>>61115766
Sounds like someone doesn't know music theory and how Kevin uses chords and techniques to create emotional affects.
>>
>>61115828
it's not like not even knowing what the album is called has an effect on the way people perceive an opinion like that anyway tbqh
>>
>>61115829
Wow, none of that has to do with my argument.

You're right, I don't know music theory, but I don't need to know it to know if a record is enjoyable or not. And if you argue otherwise, you're a pretentious fuckwit.

Someone could come up with the most complex shit ever, but that doesn't necessarily make it enjoyable.
>>
okay op why is this album a masterpiece?
convince me
>>
>>61115875
you don't even know music theory?
hahaha holy shit what a fucking pleb
>>
>>61115823
So good, it's like a better version of Instant Crush.
>>
>>61115888
everyone knows music theory limits enjoyment
>>
>>61115911
how can you know if you don't know music theory

:^)
>>
>>61115851
yup i know, pretty bad. Doesnt mean anyone who knows the album titles will convince someone else in this thread.
>>
>>61115879
Note how Kevin uses the sustained chords and looping in Let it Happen in order to convey a sense of looming cataclysm, or the fact that Yes I'm Changing uses the dissonant secondary dominant to convey emotion along with the opening up of the harmony in the final verse to convey opened possibility in the lyrics, or how Eventually never resolves to tonic toconvey constant anticipation.
>>61115911
Nope
>>
>>61115911
L m a o
Where did this meme come from?
>>
>>61115875
lol you're sad
>>
>>61115967
None of what you said convinces me that the music /sounds good/, but I guess that's not what you and OP is arguing.

What you and OP are arguing is that Currents is amazing because it is technically good, but really being technically innovative/good isn't the same as being enjoyable.
>>
They are probably the best modern 'rock' band in the mainstream atm. Its a sad truth.
>>
>>61116062
I mean all that stuff is jut coupled with the fact that the songs are really catchy and enjoyable, I don't see how you can't say that.
>>
>>61116077
>they
Do you just blindly listen to music with no context or extra information
>>
Innerspeaker>Lonerism>Currents
>>
How could you prefer this to the earlier albums? The sounds are cool and the production is flashy, but songs just drag on without evolving like they did on Lonerism or Innerspeaker. Everything feels undercooked in comparison--the melodies, the lyrics. I really wanted to like this album.
>>
>>61116214
Have you not read any of the posts ITT
>>
>>61116127
>Yes I'm Changing, The Less I Know the Better and 'Cause I'm a Man are all subpar
>The album delves a bit too much into territory that the mainstream is used to by now (to the point of being over-done), making for a less interesting record

Those are my critiques, despite whatever "technical goodness" you say this album has.

>>61116147
Seconded.
>>
>>61115538
The percussion on this album sounds like precomposed beats on a child's keyboard. The predictable "snaps" and "claps" (many of which are the same exact sound used in multiple songs) are beyond cringeworthy.

The lyrics also leave a lot to be desired. Thry don't convey any true emotion and arent all that creative. Very boilerplate.

This album was IMO a large step backwards for the band. Lonerism was an accessible psych-rock masterpiece. I dont even know what to call Currents, and not in a good way.

But all your hyperbole makes me think (and hope) youre a troll.
>>
>>61116147
cant agree more.
>>
>>61116143
I realize Kevin Parker is the driving force of the band, but 'they' still are a band
>>
>>61116236
>But all your hyperbole makes me think (and hope) youre a troll.
Why? Because you don't understand what I'm saying?
>>
>>61116307
I understand what you're saying. Why ask me that?
>>
>>61116321
Because I'm a virgin.
>>
the singer in this band is pretty horrible
I heard some of this on the radio and it was so off key I though it might be a live version because not many singers these days are any good so live stuff usually is pretty bad but in the studio they do it over and over or auto tune it so it sounds ok
but this was the studio version and it was awful
>>
>>61115538
is this copypasta?
>>
>tfw im at UMO concert and I see Kevin behind me and im to much of a bitch to say hello.
>>
>>61116475
Is anything you disagree with pasta?
>>
>>61116579
no way? were they touring together or something?
>>
>>61115875
see I really don't think you have a very good outlook on music. 1. just because you don't like something and someone else does does not make that person a "fuckwit." also I found the melodies enjoyable and choruses catchy. The drums on a lot of the tracks are varied and interesting. Theepoxies evoke emotion in a way I don't really see too often in modern music. In addition while his song writing may follow verse chorus verse chorus bridge verse chorus, this is not an intrinsically bad thing. It makes the music easier to digest. on almost every bridge, Kevin shines through with something no one would expect, mexotically and stylisically. the bridge on the moment specifically. Take another listen and pay attention this time. It's a good record if you give it a chance.
>>
>>61116722

Heard it 4 times. It's over. She's dead. It's a shitty record. It's been a shitty year for music, so Lame Limpala might still get AOTY. I'll still give their next album a spin, bu after that, never again. Shitty with a side of gay.
>>
>>61116681
Nah he was playing in his home city Perth and a month after he performed UMO also performed and im guessing he stay in Perth. I also got to see tame impala live and god was it a good show, would recommend.
>>
>>61116850
what don't you like about it? What makes it shitty?
>>
>>61115538
It's a 7/10 at best, and does nothing that hasn't been done before.
>>
>>61115538
This album would be great if it just had Kevins name on it. I'm not clicking on that shit when I'm in the mood for some Tame Impala. The band plays together for like two minutes on the entire album, the rest is just is just straya cunting around
>>
>>61116898
Did you read the posts ITT
>>
>>61116885
I told you what makes it shitty and you had no response

>>61116236

Stop asking people questions over and over, you have no answers and you are just here to troll.
>>
>>61116147
Have a (You) friend
>>
>>61117023
I did, I said that its pop style structure is not intrinsically bad especially when bridges offer a nice surprise and each chorus adds something new. I don't think it being "predictable" makes it bad. and would you please link me 80s pop that sounds like what Kevin did on the record please.
>>
>>61115538
Innerspeaker is objectively better than both Currents and Lonerism.
>>
>>61117622
The only thing objective here is your pretension.
>>
SOMEONE LINK AN 80S POP SONG THAT SOUNDS LIKE CURRENTS. PROVE TO ME THAT KEVIN HAD NO ORIGINAL IDEAS.
>>
>>61115538
ahahahah.

Very well produced pop record with average songs and some standout moments. That is all.
>>
>>61115967
Like those things haven't all been done already ad nauseam
>>
Im just happy they stopped ripping off the Beatles and pink floyd so much.
>>
>>61116236
>The lyrics also leave a lot to be desired. Thry don't convey any true emotion and arent all that creative.

They dont convey "true emotion"? This is the only album where Kevin was actually inspired, listen to the lyrics. almost 90% is breakup-related.
What blows my mind is that you cant relate even the slighest to them. Have you ever had a relationship?
>>
This was aimed to be veeery danceable, hence the simple and disco-oriented drum beats.

And I feel like the vocal melodies were quite the best and most consistent part of the album. I predict it to be heavily sampled from now on.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.