[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: prod-green.jpg (44 KB, 298x295) Image search: [Google]
prod-green.jpg
44 KB, 298x295
"You're not" edition.

Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

Learn why most digital filters sound like crap and why ITB production is stupid.

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Remember to insult each other's sound design skills.
>>
File: cpp.png (285 KB, 674x425) Image search: [Google]
cpp.png
285 KB, 674x425
Anyone of you, by any chance, have these books?

I'm trying to finish writing my plug, but find myself lacking on tech background, maybe these would clear stuff up for me.
>>
File: 1440042062835.png (151 KB, 449x442) Image search: [Google]
1440042062835.png
151 KB, 449x442
I'm trying to adjust to FL12, but I hit the next snag. No graph editor in the channel rack. What the fuck, why? What's the quickest alternative if I want my drum hits to at least have different velocities?
If even the most minimally interesting drums require the piano roll now then just fucking drop the step sequencer altogether ffs.
>>
>>61114243
Piano roll only. But I believe the devs said in their forums they will bring the graph editor back, because people complained like mad.
>>
>>61114262
...and apparently I lied, because I can't find any info on that.
God fucking damn it, IL, get your shit together. First ts404, now step seq. what's next, no mixer because apparently it's obsolete "vintage" tech?
>>
>tfw still can't record drums in arrangement view

i load impulse on a track and the sounds I like, I can record playing live impulse but when I go back to finetune with the pencil tool on the bottom midi box no changes are recorded.
The original live recorded clip keeps playing..
>>
>>61114341
I heard it in the BPB adver- I mean review.

But really, this is why I'm still hesitant to buy. It was a total pain in the ass to upgrade from one pirated version to the next and I was really thinking of just going legal, but I'm less and less sure I even want their upgrades.
Guess I'll wait for FL13 and see what else they're planning to break.
>>
Guys, how do I get this sound that comes in at 0:44? Do you recognize this synth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3Yhu5qA1MY
>>
>>61114545
I did go legal at 10, after pirating from v3.5 upwards.
And then they pull that shit off.
I'm mostly salty because I've yet to find a synth that sounds as raw as ts404 did.
>>61114620
FM most likely, try modulator pitches lower than carrier's.
>>
https://clyp.it/dzsfk1fs
https://clyp.it/u5qcoojn

What kinda mix do u want?

Just fuck my track up senpai
>>
>>61114852
You can't step record AND play at the same time. I'm guessing you want quantization, so just open pianoroll, record as usual, alt+q, enter.
>>
>>61114345
>can't record drums in arrangement view
but you can record anything in arrangement view, i dont know what you're doing wrong but it's definitely something
>>
>>61114243
No thanks, I'll stay with FL11
>>
How much of a difference does a DI box make when doing shitty home recording, like onto a Portastudio? I'm guessing the answer is "a lot", but in what ways? And is it worth it or are there workarounds?
>>
>>61116070

Should've specified DI box for a bass
>>
>>61116070
well some portastudios have balanced inputs, but without one a di box will let the whole signal through, including the deep sub bass
>>
noob q: i am about to get a synth, how do i get the audio it makes onto a computer, thanks for your time
>>
>>61117194
Get an audio interface first.
>>
>>61117420
any specific type? not looking to spend much, i'm looking to buy this synth:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chugan-Corporation-Gakken-Sx-150-Synthesizer/dp/B005Q22HV2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1450456807&sr=8-8&keywords=synthesizer
>>
Is this 'part' any good?
https://clyp.it/1fd5n2ix
>>
Best way to get a convincing real Mellotron sound?

I'm poor, so the real thing, Nords, and the M400D are out of the question.
>>
>>61117658
Get a novation bass station 2
>>
File: angel.jpg (2 KB, 125x88) Image search: [Google]
angel.jpg
2 KB, 125x88
https://clyp.it/b0ma4xpq

can i have some feedback on mastering or composition

dark ambient hip hop influenced
>>
>>61117806
Does it need to be on a keyboard? Or do you work innadaw anyways?

If you need a keyboard for mellotron sounds, look around for old sampler keyboards, they almost always have mellotron samples, especially flutes, because every keyboard apparently needs to play strawberry fields.

If you just need a plugin, I suggest tapeworm by tweakbench. Also, it's free.

>>61117658
Google "cheap audio interface"
Look
????
Profit!
>>
>>61117836
Sounds fantastic up until the drums come in. If it was me I'd make a lot more space for those drums and make them hit harder
>>
>>61117817
ok
>>61117862
hey it may seem obvious to you but idk if there is a specific type i need, if my synth has X output and so needs an interface that takes in X input
>>
What's a nice polyphonic analog synthesizer up to 1000 Euro? Thanks
>>
>>61117936
Nope, any interface should work. A lot have connectors that take both xlr (mic) and 1/4" cables. You shouldn't run into any comparability issues.
>>
>>61117950
What do you want it for? 1k euro can get you pretty much any vintage polysynth except for super hyped shit.
>>
>>61118080
sweet, thank you for the help :)
>>
>>61118156
something with knobs for every parameter and more on the gritty side
>>
>>61117950
The euro is pretty weak right now, so 1000€ is tough to work with. Maybe spend a little more and get a mopho x4

Prophet '08 has also dropped in price, but that's still over budget for you.

If you need it under your budget, consider the Waldorf Blofeld. It's digital, but an excellent synth. Plus it has wavetables which are fucking cool.
>>
>>61118216
thanks! it doesn't have to have keys though.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/chiefdobis/mountain

been trying to get better at mixing my songs

let me know what I should do better next time

also any tips for getting 808 bass to be more prominent in my mix without drowning everything out?

please message me on soundcloud
I may not be monitoring this thread for long
>>
My son wants to become a music producer
What should I do to help him? I have absolutely no fucking knowledge in music engineering or producing, so what's some good stuff for a 14 year old newbie producer?

It's Christmas time soon so I think this is about the right time to ask. We've got £320 to spend on him
>>
>>61118209
I was going rec something like the mono/poly, but I didn't realize that 1k euro is like 1.1k usd now. I thought it was way more.
>>
>>61118282
Mpk 49
>>
>>61118282
does he have a good computer? if so then i'd go for a midi keyboard or an audio interface if he has physical instruments he wants to record

also, buy used. most controllers and audio interfaces don't end up taking too much of a beating throughout their lives so you can buy used and your money will go a lot farther
>>
>>61118282
At the bare minimum, if he's got a decent computer, give him a DAW and maybe point him towards some good tutorials on how to use it. Probably Fruity Loops as it's a pretty good introductory DAW but is still used by plenty of pro people. Beyond that, a small midi keyboard. Something like http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LaunchK2-25?adpos=1o2&creative=55397965321&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA-s6zBRDWudDL2Iic4QQSJAA4Od3XHgEBSKCFElw3boepVasJFk2TIgT86EmSTzXRI91iyRoCoiPw_wcB ... With this, he'll be able to control all the sounds within the DAW software with the piano keys and buttons instead of with his mouse and computer keyboard. Oh yeah, and headphones or speakers if you don't already have something like that as well.
>>
>>61118600
>give him a DAW
bad advice

he can pirate one until he decides if he's gonna stick with it or not. also he can try out different daws without trial limitations by pirating and you can spend the money on gear instead of software
>>
>>61118282
Just buy him a keyboard
>>
>>61118623
Alright yeah, do what this guys says and pirate a DAW,
>>
>>61117898
as in, crunchier, or louder? new to this genre
>>
How can I emulate a dub (not dubstep) with a DAW?

I watched some tutorials and tried to make something similar to Scientist and Lee Scratch Perry, but it feels so different.
>>
Wah and delay but with the feedback make it 16th notes
>>
>>61118805
Roland space echo
A big analog mixer
Reel to Reels
Lots of reverbs and delays
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 500x383
>>61118805
Reverbs, delays and flanges all the way for me and a space echo.
>>
>>61118929
and a ton of noise, main difference to doing it in a daw. i shit you not.
>>
File: image.jpg (702 KB, 1210x2032) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
702 KB, 1210x2032
>>61118959
Waves do some pretty good emulators of old studio gear that add noise. The HLS strip and the J37 reel to reel/tape delay add plenty of noise...although no where near as much as my clunky noisy as fuck tape delay
>>
>>61119018
Post your music
>>
>>61119048
I don't make much music.
>>
>>61119083
Send me your gear.
>>
About to buy my friends miniboard midi controller, I make psychedelic, drone, and dark ambient type music using FL studio. Any suggestions for gear? I could use an interface for the midi, and I want to be able to hook my guitar and bass to it.
>>
File: image.gif (11 KB, 131x177) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
11 KB, 131x177
>>61119140
I use my gear, but I don't have much music to show for it. I usually just fuck about making dubby sounds and stuff. I think I might be more into sound design than making actual music. I might try and dig something I've made out in a bit if you like?
What sort of stuff do you make?
>>
>>61119549
I'm not the anon who wanted you to post music though. I just want your gear.
>>
>>61120080
Ah fair enough. I can assure you it gets used quite a bit though so not gonna be getting rid of any of it. Probably going to treat myself to a Korg MS20m or a pittburg modular 10.1 after Christmas.
>>
https://clyp.it/nta3tpit

WIP - I want to add in about a 2-3 minute, quiet but building bridge around the 3 minute mark, with distorted acoustic guitars and toms. Gonna re record the drums live too. There's a lot going on in this song, which I dig, but what do y'all think? too much?
>>
>>61120170
>Probably going to treat myself to a Korg MS20m or a pittburg modular 10.1 after Christmas
I'm thinking of splurging on Reaktor, the xmas promo/giveaway they have currently did a good job of convincing me. The filters are fucking buttery smooth and ages ahead other softsynths.
>>
>>61120239
yeah I just upgraded my Reaktor to 6. Its probably a really good buy value wise. I'm really struggling with getting time at the moment to learn how to use it though and I find sitting at the computer makes me really tired for some reason so I'm looking for something hardware wise as it seems that hardware doesn't make me really sleepy when trying to use it like soft synths do!
>>
>>61120413
I made a few instruments and effects with v4 and v5, but they lost me with the introduction of core blocks.
>>
>>61120579
Really the core stuff is what I'm trying to learn, it seems pretty basic compared to the way it was before
>>
>>61120643
As long as I'm using pre-built modules I have no problems, but don't ask me to design a filter from the grounds-up.
>>
anybody know where to find a good coupon for the Beatstep pro? I'm trying to buy one, but the best I can do is 10%
>>
Does the choice of DAW really matter? I'm pretty new and I've been finding Mixcraft easy to use but should I just switch to Ableton for the future's sake?
>>
https://clyp.it/o2ag0ycq

pre-mixed. What y'all think?
>>
>>61121815
The more programs you learn, the more gooder you get
>>
>>61121815

It depends - do you think you'll need Ableton functionality?
I've used Cubase since day one pretty much and I still use that for recording bands, and what I'd call "songs".
I use Ableton when what I'm doing is more loop-based "tracks" but what it also offers is Max for Live for custom devices, and LiveControl (a Lemur template for iPad but which is also usable to an extent for Lemur on Android tablets) so I'm not tied to the computer.

Ableton therefore, for me, is more geared towards experimentation and improvisation and if you're thinking along those lines too maybe you should give it a bash, but if you're doing songs that are largely linear then just about any DAW will work for you - stick with one that you find comfortable.
>>
how do I make dub techno that doesn't sound like yet another Basic Channel ripoff?
>>
>>61122163
Explore dub concepts without riffing Basic Channel sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaZL2lGeFTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMGdUxlj_zg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwcP5L6LY3Y
>>
I use Foobar + Waveform seekbar component when I need to quickly check a lot of files for interesting content (field recs, for instance). Loading and seeking is alright and the playlist is welcome. But I can't zoom.

Do you know of an alternative that also has zooming? Would be rad if I could even make cuts (while still having a playlist) but that's probably getting too picky.
>>
How do I into 90s pop percussion? Do I just download Linn samples and do 1/16s?

>>61122754
>Dat kick on ISM track.
>>
lesser known vst or techniques you like using?
>>
>>61124353
sidechain compression
>>
>>61121452
Fuck year, I managed to find one for $200

Now I can finally have a shitload of sequencers running
>>
What do you guys think?
https://clyp.it/hqiy5jnt
>>
>>61124779
You've got some awesome timbres running at times, but some of the synthwork is uneven - that vocal is a little dry, as is the wurli.
How's that pitchbent unison-ish thing at 1:59 made with? Sounds p nice, to be honest familia.
Work at transitions. You build it up at 1:30, but it fizzles out as soon as the bass goes away, similarly, not much energy in the higher-tempo sections.
>>
>>61124900
It's just some detune, some distortion and lots of reverb on a spire patch in which I basically just fucked around until it sounded good to me. And yeah, I need to work on some of the mixing stuff but I was mostly curious on the general idea and composition of the track.
>>
how do I make drum backings? I usually just do kick snare kick snare with hihats on 8ths, but I'm actually looking to have some dynamism (verse-chorus etc.) so i can play guitar over it. any tips?
>>
File: mfw.jpg (119 KB, 594x644) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
119 KB, 594x644
>>61124512
hahahaha good post
>>
>>61125190
the thing about programming realistic drums is a guitarist and drummer never play together on a solid bpm

you should try to turn off quantization where youre making your drumtracks and "humanize" them by offsetting them slightly and with different velocities
>>
File: 1447204030132.png (420 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447204030132.png
420 KB, 500x500
>>61113958
>Be experienced producer
>Try to get into Protools | First so I can understand what I'm missing out on
>Be on Windows 10 machine and have focusrite 2i4
>Open a template
>Press play
>Meter immediately clips and no sound is heard
>???
>Go to enable ASIO to see if that does anything
>Error: 6004
>Uninstall

Seriously fuck this meme shit. Literally only good for multi-track recording.
My setup works fine with virtually every other DAW but this.
Why would it even fuck up?
>>
>>61125722
You should be using protools aggregate i/o, not Asio. That's shits for scrubs using meme daws
>>
>>61125889
>The Aggregate I/O setting in the Mac version of Pro Tools was introduced in Pro Tools 9 and designed to allow the software to combine the Mac’s built-in input and output into one “virtual” interface so that you could access both simultaneously — and that’s really as far as Avid officially supports the feature.
>accessing both inputs and outputs simultaneously is not possible without some magic heebiejeebie drivers
>in a daw
The fuck, is this real?
>>
>>61125889
My Scarlett 2i4 comes with it's own driver, I usually use that as its the same driver used by the rest of my system.
Ill try out that aggregate i/o thing you mentioned, thanks.
>>
>>61125953
>>61125963
Well shit. Guess I'm still stumped.
>>
>>61125953
>Mac only
Shit. That's right, I only use PT on macs. Nevermind my suggestion then. Get a mac
>>
File: support tools.png (113 KB, 539x772) Image search: [Google]
support tools.png
113 KB, 539x772
>>61126099
Obligatory:
>get a mac
>my 1500 machine would've costed me 3.5k if I just got a mac instead
>inb4 just finance it
>financing hardware that quickly loses value in less than 4 years
I can try out a hackintosh though, my setup is compatible for it.
Thanks for your help regardless.

Pic related, should've known...
>>
>>61126304
>using windows 10
Why though?
>>
>>61126320
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/07/21/why-microsofts-windows-10-audio-and-midi-apis-are-a-big-deal/
And this entire interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHaz3p_H8iM
>>
>>61125632
the drum kits on Logic are fucking amazing, unfortunately I have windows. I know someone who has logic and i was messing around with them, exactly what I need
>>
>>61126408
That's cool and all, but are you really using WASAPI instead of ASIO? Do DAWs use the stuff winapi provides?
>>
>>61126304
I don't like having to say it, but protools just isn't 100% if you're running it on Windows.
>>
>>61126542
I use WASAPI for recording/routing system audio, makes the process less annoying.
Again, I use my audio interface's driver instead of ASIO4All. Last time I used it was a couple of years ago.

>>61126583
I've heard this before, but never heard the reasons why exactly. Can you tell me?
>>
>>61126703
Development. It was originally written in assembly for the Macintosh, so that's where Avid kept their priority.

A lot of high end interfaces for protools are FireWire, and some are Mac only.

Windows was just an afterthought.
>>
>>61126703

ASIO and ASIO4All are two different things - ASIO4All is the name of a product that will allow devices that don't have native ASIO support in their drivers to work as an ASIO device.
It's hit-and-miss lots of times but better than using DirectSound - one good feature that ASIO4All does have though is the ability to create aggregate devices like you can with CoreAudio, using a single clock source to sync multiple audio interfaces.
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 800x600
Give her the bump
>>
FM synthesis is too difficult :(
>>
Any have advice for getting a nice clean sound for math rock from Guitar Rig? Too poor to afford a decent amplifier. Twin Reverb?
>>
Hi /prod/ i've a problem i hope you could help me with

I'm doing a 16-bit cover of a metal song with dual guitars and i've got phase interference when the 16-bit guitars must play at unison

Idk if it's very clear so here's the audio of the problem :
https://clyp.it/0blofkyb

What do?
>>
>>61129025
Then shift the phase 90° or invert it
>>
>>61126448
I use Cubase and the drums in grooveagent are pretty nice

I never used logic

ive been playing with kontakt free drum mica and it is decent also

you have to sign up on a german page to get it though

it works free forever though
>>
Any DX7 users here?
Can't find a decent forum for these synths anywhere desu imo
>>
>>61129025
first, this sounds delicious anon. second, you have to either cut it so only one plays at a time or add a short delay to one of them. i don't know if that's possible to do and still keep it authentic, but as little as 20ms will separate them enough to cut down on the phasing without throwing it off-time too much.

i think the most authentic approach would be to not have two guitars, or at least not have two at once.
>>
>>61129869
What is your need?

I would suggest electro-music forum and not gearslutz. Muffwiggler is an amazing community, but it's mostly about modular synths and cats.
>>
https://clyp.it/1tzzqvth

Mindless beat, noise effects, stupid samples yay
>>
I have been making beats for a few years but just recently started making things I like but a barrier i see in my beats is structure. I have the same basic 16 bar then 8 bar chorus to 16 again and it seems so boring and was just looking for a better way to structure them. Any tips would be appreciated.
>>
>>61130088
Mostly i'd just like to hear or see what sounds people create with this synth, it usually inspires me to do my own sounds
>>
I bought logic pro a couple months ago and havent gotten much of a chance to use it yet besides some tutorial videos. How fucked am I for making electronic music?

Also if anyone has experience with the M Audio trigger finger pro I would really appreciate some pointers on how to export sequences onto a DAW (specifically logic) because the software is crap. Also is there a way to take off the annoying preset sequences?
>>
>>61130830
reddit actually isn't bad if that's what you're looking for
>>
>>61131017
read the manual trust me man

just make music and if you don't know what something is just look it up
>>
>https://clyp.it/h13bevtn
sup bros. what meme-tier sample should i put before the drop? was thinking gangnam style or maybe some porn.
>>
>>61131095

A vocal sample that goes "WULULULULU"
>>
>>61131058
Thanks man, will do
>>
>>61129902
>>61129253

Delay kind of worked

I might as well post the track
Vektor - Cosmic cortex - 16-bit cover

https://clyp.it/1mvwstqc
>>
>>61131131
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_wIkbkd2JA&t=1m13s
>>
>>61131561

Why not
>>
>>61131561
Is this that guy that bombed a gamestop?
>>
>>61131131
>>61131561
>>61131863
Alright boys... here it is. Straight fire, this one
>https://clyp.it/napfnusa
>>
Can anyone give me feedback on this experimental thing?

I made it with a gameboy, my vocals, recordings of the mechanism of this toy piano, horn synths and organ synths.

https://clyp.it/ic5gv5oj

Yes, I know the vocals are clipping in some parts and the lyrics are awful. gonna change that.
>>
>>61132866
>https://clyp.it/ic5gv5oj
i'd pitch that synth/piano playing the main riff down an octave or two and throw a bunch of reverb on your voice. maybe you aren't going for that kind of sound but i think it'd be tight.

also i'd hold the notes on the piano until the end of the bar. having them stop and hearing solo drums feels awkward to me

feels like it could end up being kind of like archy marshall though. good stuff. keep workin
>>
>>61131017
Logic Pro is ideal for electronic music, just take a look at the bundled synths, although some of them look like they are straight from the 90's (they are) they are ideal for electronic music also alchemy is a very modern synth and also very good and worth the price of logic alone. The sampler and drum machine are also very powerful.
Read the manual and go though every step of it while using logic if you don't understand something go back until you understand it.
Logic is a very powerful daw and is used by a lot of electronic artists
>>
>>61129869
dx11 user. what do you want to talk about/know? patch creation? weird digital stuff??
>>
>>61132953
thanks, it does sound better
https://clyp.it/1rnqeg5r
>>
>>61133565
this is pretty sweet
get someone who can sing though
>>
>>61133683
What's bad about my voice :(
>>
>>61114341
>ts404
Wasn't that one always broken? I don't think the envelopes even worked in FL 6 or something.
Also EQUO send channels don't work anymore.
>>
>>61129869
watmm
>>
File: equo.png (91 KB, 646x342) Image search: [Google]
equo.png
91 KB, 646x342
>>61134364
The envelopes were pretty quirky to work with, because there was always a ton of release.
It was even polyphonic at one point (FL4? 5?)
But the god damn fucking osc with the absolutely digital faux pulse width is what I miss the most.
>send channels
Work fine for me?
>>
>>61117836
Really fucking dig that
>>
File: qmm.jpg (94 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
qmm.jpg
94 KB, 500x500
Can someone here who uses Ableton help me?

I downloaded a few of the Ableton Session Drum packs, and when i play them in Ableton i get some weird fucking jet engine sound effect on every hit. This only happens with drum packs, but with all of them. I don't understand why this happens or how to fix it. I've been looking for a solution but couldn't find one.

Example of the sound
https://clyp.it/trr1ydwu
>>
>>61134602
Your midi controller is sending two note events instead of one.
>>
>>61134627
What exactly does that mean?
According to the midi track it's only 1 note.
How can i tell if this is happening, how do i fix it?

My controller is Novation Impulse 61 if that matters
>>
>>61134602
Maybe change your audio settings? Also maybe get better sample packs.
>>
https://clyp.it/qj5atz4d

vry new to prod pls critique
>>
>>61134650
It sounds like the sample is triggered two times in short succession, and if the pitch is randomized at each hit, that would cause the flanging.
Maybe you're routing the midi twice in the mixer or something?
>>
>>61134673
>Maybe you're routing the midi twice in the mixer or something?
Nope.

Also, if the sample was triggered twice in quick succession, wouldn't i be able to see that on the midi track? And the pitch of the sample is always C3, it's not randomized

Seriously don't understand why this is happening
>>
>pirate some big VSTs
>use them for years
>now actually want to make an album and feel like they'll track me down

Guess I'll have to find free replacements, I don't have hundreds of dollars to spare
>>
>>61134715
Probably, but if the first event takes only a few ticks it may be easy to miss before the second, longer one.
Also, maybe you're routing audio through so that you get feedback? Doesn't sound like you do though, you'd get a static comb filtering if you did.
What happens if you drag the sample to an empty sampler?
>pitch of the sample is always C3, it's not randomized
I meant in the sampler itself, like an lfo routed to the speed to give some variation between hits.
>>
>>61134740
Render to audio, pretend it's hardware.
>>
>>61134740
I know this feel all too well.
I've been considering buying Renoise, it's only like 70 bucks and it comes with some great effects and samples.

Komplete 10, on the other hand, is like 500 bucks.
>>
>>61134779
>What happens if you drag the sample to an empty sampler?

It's a .adg file (Ableton Live Pack), i can't drag it into the Sampler.
>>
>>61134740
how would they know you're using their vsts?
>>
>>61134898
Steganography.
>>
>>61134442
yea that menu thing doesnt work for me.

also:
>try to save project
>save mixer preset instead
why did they do this ffs
>>
>>61134898

Cause distinct sounds, I dunno I'm just paranoid. And guilty a bit.

Anyways looks like my orchestra, drums, and organ ones were all discontinued so I can't even buy them if I wanted to lol, off the hook. Guess waiting years and years after pirating helps.

But there's still that piano one...
>>
>>61134925
I'd be impressed if they did that.
>>61135076
>But there's still that piano one...
Just say it's mda piano if anyone asks lol.

Anyone know a good free pitch shifter plugin? I have one on my multi fx pedal, just some crappy granular thing like mda repsycho.
>>
>>61135121
>good free pitch shifter plugin
i'm interested in this too, every one that i've used thus far has ate my CPU
>>
>>61125190
My drum vst (addictive drums, the first one's available "online") has a shit ton of sample beats I use for all my different sections. Even has lots of fills. You just drag em into the daw as little midi things.

>>61130405

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_structure

There's lots of ways to make song structure interesting. Maybe start with the chorus instead sometimes. Break sections are common, usually used before the last verse or chorus for buildup, but Prechorus sections are useful too, maybe only have it appear before the second chorus, or only the first one, or have it verse-prechorus-V-PC-and then the chorus for extra buildup. Maybe have a special extended outro section over one of your other sections. "Solo" parts are useful, or just some kind of new melodic interlude segment.

If you know basic theory, different chord changes for different repeats of your sections is cool for variation. Something as basic as making a root to the relative minor or vice versa is a great trick (main chorus is C-F-G-C, change C's to Am's, with same melody). Or maybe use that as your "break" or some other section like that. Or just do it once if the chorus repeats a lot in a row. Or Chorus-"solo"-minor chorus for a dramatic change ("wow what happened that made the chorus so different?"). Or break-interlude over minor chorus chords-prechorus-chorus-verse outro. Whatever fits, the possibilities are endless, as long as you properly be the "director" for the audience's ears and mood.

Instrumentation variation is king though. Some basic things like cutting out nearly everything after a mid-point crescendo for a "quiet" section, or changing drums to half or double time, or even making an instrument an octave higher or lower, all which just take a few mouse clicks, can make the same section sound like a totally new one. I mean, people write entire songs (pop and art) with one chord progression and melody sometimes, it's totally legit.

>>61135121
>mda

hm.. not bad
>>
>>61135060
>save mixer preset
Because you've got focus on the mixer.
Also, you're running old version then, 12.2 saves project regardless of window focus, and equo works.
>>
What's a good chorus vst? Free preferred but not required.
>>
>>61135986
TAL has a nice one based on the juno synths
>>
>>61135899
I got some 12 at least, maybe I have the version right after they changed everything and right before they fixed what ppl were complaining about lol.

>>61135526
>hm.. not bad
mda has loads of cool shit
>>
guys, i want to make post-rock with weird shit like world's end girlfriend, kashiwa daisuke, joseph nothing, ect

I play guitar and piano

Roland SP series is nice, but I'd like to know some more options. Help
>>
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 640x480
>>61136246
Bump
>>
>>61136117
Nice, forgot about this one, and I grew sick of using FL plugins because they don't always sound best.
>>61136171
I still use JX10, sounds smooth as fuck.
You can also compile VST3 versions for your own use, because the sources come with the VST3 SDK.
>>
>>61136246
>i want to make post rock

haha ha haaaa
>>
File: image.png (228 KB, 1356x892) Image search: [Google]
image.png
228 KB, 1356x892
so does anybody here remember the good ol days?
>>
>>61134663
>https://clyp.it/qj5atz4d

It's fine. You got some presets and made a thing. Now it's time to delve deeper and try to find your own sound.
>>
>>61134740
lol, c'mon ƒam, no one's going to track you down.

If you make money from selling your music or playing shows then buy the software that you use regularly.
Otherwise don't worry.

p.s. I'm a composer/producer and have worked in some big studios so take my word for it fren
>>
File: soundproofing3047.jpg (43 KB, 639x378) Image search: [Google]
soundproofing3047.jpg
43 KB, 639x378
is sound foam a meme?

I was thinking on treating my room with some sound panels. I was able to get some rockwool panels for next to nothing which I put on the walls

But then I came across some polyurethane foam, and I put some above my chair, in the ceiling. As expected, the foam dampens the highs, and nothing as far as the mids and lows.

But then wouldn't this be counter productive for the mixing? if I am going to dampen the "exciting" part of the spectrum, then my mixing will be shitty right? I am not doing any vocals, I make bleeps.
>>
>>61137092
You're never going to have a perfectly balanced monitoring situation at home.

Panels do help with the primary reflections in a home studio situation as they reduce phase issues and this improve the accuracy of monitoring.

You have no chance of acoustically treating bass in a bedroom studio ƒam.
>>
>>61137128

I am not expecting to treat bass, and as far as I can tell my room has no glaring issues regarding bass. The rockwool panels do seem to be helping as far as my monitoring goes

but the foam itself, which I see people use in some situations, is it more trouble than its worth? is it down to personal preference/specific room cases?
>>
>>61137222
Rockwool does a decent job.

I don't see foam as much trouble, proper stuff is designed to have specific absorption coefficients.

It's handy to at least have your 4 primary reflections points treated somehow (a rug on the floor takes care of one of them).

You do have bass issues, all small rooms do. Room modes, standing waves will be doing there thing whether you realise it or now.
Try mixing something with a lot of bass in your room and then play it in a club, you'll be amazed at how unbalanced it will sound.
>>
>>61136246
>Roland SP series is nice
i dont know about the 555/606/808, but the 404 and the 303 have a lot of limitations.
can only resample 2 stereo samples (or 4 mono) at a time, can't resample a pattern you recorded (only playing in real time), can't resample at a specified tempo (which means your loops can go out of sync since the display only shows you whole numbers for the tempo but there's actually decimal points you can't see, so 2 loops could say the same tempo but be different length), the start/endpoint knobs take off like 100ms (other than that you have to hit the marker button while the sample plays in real time to adjust them), and the pitch shifting and time stretching just don't sound very good
>>
>>61137654
Hi /prod/, I'm an idiot.

Let's say I want to incorporate my electric bass into my music, what sort of converter am I gonna need if I have your average instrument cables? As far as I can tell, my computer doesn't have a microphone jack-thingy either.

Also, what's a cheap 24-key keyboard that isn't going to turn into plastic dust if I breathe on it?
>>
>>61137654
Didn't mean to reply to your post, sorry.
>>
what's happening to the vocals at the beginning of this track starting at around 0:29?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3QQ6Aoy2pc
>>
>>61139783

Never heard that track before but I knew that this would be the effect that was heard, nothing spooky it's just because it's probably one of the least common effects.

Take your vocal, reverse it and add reverb (and some delay too for a more distinct effect but it also needs to be diffused with reverb to work properly), record the effect and then then reverse both tracks.

You end up with your vocal the correct way round again but with the reverb reversed - there are reverse reveb algorithms in most effects processors but they don't do the same amount of read-ahead that the proper technique uses.
>>
File: slint_david_pajo.jpg (66 KB, 620x401) Image search: [Google]
slint_david_pajo.jpg
66 KB, 620x401
>>61139953
thanks friend
>>
>>61139953

I'll add that this used to be real easy with tape because all you needed to do with tape is turn the tape spool around to reverse it (the track order would also be reversed tho) and the reversed reverb would line up perfectly once the tape spool was turned back around again.

With a DAW you'll have to muck about moving the reversed effect to have it sit ahead of the dry signal.
>>
>>61113982

http://www.allitebooks.com/designing-software-synthesizer-plug-ins-in-c/

http://glorified.blogvictory.com/designing-audio-effect-plug-ins-in-c-with-digital-audio-signal-processing-theory-by-will-pirkle/
>>
>>61138055

Nah you're not an idiot, ƒam. I did this on the clyp.it below (it's and clyp, but I think it's a good example of recording bass lines.) with a 2i4 audio interface. All you'll is a good interface and some average but secure instrument cables. You'll also have to tweak the shit out of your settings for lower latency but it's to be expected.

https://clyp.it/1q2wjjed
>>
>>61141662

*(It's an old clyp.it,

*All you'll need is a

Can't type, gonna go an hero over this now.
>>
i just upgraded to windows 10 and now i have no audio going through ableton to my audio interface. what happened? it won't even show up in the tray. i haven't messed with the settings before upgrading. i'm using a scarlett solo and i have its line out as the only audio output
>>
File: 1441659390590.jpg (18 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1441659390590.jpg
18 KB, 160x160
>>61141865

Sounds like you're might be missing drivers m8
>>
>>61141865
wew lad update your drivers

or

wew lad drivers no longer supported by windows 10
>>
>>61140564
Holy shit thanks, I already found the fx book, but couldn't get the synth one anywhere.
>>
File: Untitled.png (21 KB, 718x615) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
21 KB, 718x615
>>61141933
>>61141922
but it says it's already there. i don't even get driver errors.

;-;
>>
My little brother says he was doing music prod in music class at his high school

They were using fucking mixcraft. Of all the things to educate children with music prod, they choose mixcraft. Fuck

He wants to be a music producer too, in fact a breakcore/idm producer.
>>
no idea what to put on top of this
http://picosong.com/Q63H/

guitar or something else?
>>
>>61142270
>add more guitar licks
>pitch it down
>add a shitton of delay
>???
>DUB
>>
>>61142308
will probably just do that and add a bassline too. no idea what to play though
>>
>>61142369
>no idea what to play
You must be me.
>>
>>61142411
nice to meet you!
>>
>>61142253
Okay.
>>
>>61142253
>mixcraft
literally who?
>>
>>61142133
Oh shit man, that's scary, I don't understand what's causing that. Possibly compatibility reasons? What's google saying?
>>
File: Untitled.png (143 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
143 KB, 1440x900
>>61142993
i'm not sure. i tried a different driver right here.

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/windows-10-compatibility
>Works with Windows 10? YES - All using release driver 2.5.1 , except Scarlett Solo, which requires driver 2.5.2 .
>2.5.2

and when i switched in ableton i go this error.

maybe this is the indication i should try out renoise ;-;
>>
>>61143618
Same thing was happening with mine earlier and I'm on Windows 10.
>>
>>61142253
That mini moog vst on Mixcraft is actually what got me into making music
>>
>>61143691
Did it resolve itself or nah?
>>
>>61143875
Nope, hasn't yet. I just started looking for a new DAW to use. Not too invested in Ableton at the moment anyway.
>>
>>61143893
>>61143875
i just reconfigured my realtek speakers as my default output instead of my interface, and it seems to autoroute now fine. now i can noodle my diva synth with joy!
>>
>>61142253
>whoa
I had a music production class that used mixcraft last year at high school. two years in a row actually.

I guess they use mixcraft because it's basic and easy to understand.

The next year they upgraded to Reason though so :P
>>
https://clyp.it/odb3syau

Progress on the structure front after several afternoons of sound design

Tell me how this sounds like shit so I can fix it
>>
>>61142253
>>61144681
What the fuck, there are music production classes in high school?
>>
>>61144959
I know this melody. Also needs more, i don't know, swing? Feels too rigid and quantized.
Other than that it's funky/10.
>>
>>61145099
Mine was a fine arts magnet school, and it was a required class for musical majors (i was in band)

Im this guy >>61144681
>>
>have a pretty awesome foundation for the track
>"oh man, I'm going to add so much stuff in the morning!"
>wake up, open project, "meh", close project
Why does it always happen?
>>
>>61145444
Because you don't have the same motivation
>>
>>61145127
You know what, I know exactly what you mean

Thanks anon
>>
>>61145444
Same here, but I can never do shit in the morning, can only ever start in the evening.

Not sure if you were meaning motivation in general or that specific track but yeah, I just browse tutorials/study other music in the morning, can never feel like creating.
>>
>>61145582
I also think the percs are too much in the back, bring the highs to the front a little.
>>
>>61145444
shift between creative listening and analytic listening.

If you open a track and you immediately start deconstructing it, you will make no progress as you will automatically criticize every new idea.
>>
Hey guys, literally the first thing I've ever made
https://clyp.it/sb5jxogs
>>
>>61145897
Also, Haven't finished lyrics
>>
>>61145897
It doesnt suck too bad, good job anon

Stuff I liked
>Even though most people say it's a bad idea I like drowning things in reverb and it sounds pretty good here
>It doesn't sound horribly bad for a first song, I didn't want to rip my ears off so that's a plus
>I like the buildup but not really the drop

Criticisms
>The snare that comes in around the drop is kind of ill-fitting, the drums are kind of lifeless if you ask me
>Your vocals actually stick out a little because it isn't drowned in reverb like the stuff behind it
>the change in style is a little eh

Eh, not bad/10
>>
>>61146286
Thanks for the feedback. What kind of things could I do to help the drums feel less robotic?
>>
>>61146326
>put the drum pattern at 3:04 first, so as the song moves forward it increases complexity
>sidechain the hats with everything else
>layer the kick with something higher frequency, a short sample like a tamborine or something EQ'd to shit probably work, to give it a little more thickness? (not sure if that's the right word) or a sample with little more top end thump would work, but only a little
>either use longer/more realistic hihat samples, or change the snare to be less realistic
>reverb on the snare

There's a ton of things I could list, but I don't know if any of them would actually work, so use your best judgement really
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 422x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 422x600
>>61145444
Well at least you aren't like me and delete your shit for no reason.

>make decent tracks
>show people and post in soundcloud threads
>get good feedback
>"wow this is great, let's make more!"
>make more
>get negative feedback
>"wow im shit"
>get producers block
>delete tracks in soundcloud and DAW
>instant regret

Now if i ever want to get those songs i actually liked back, i have to remake it, so im back to square one.
>>
>>61147144
are you me?
>>
>>61118320
NO, SHUT UP, WAST OF MONEY, WASTE OF SPACE
>>
>>61147267
No, but we r prolly likeminded and could make great music together. Or shit, it doesn't matter.
>>
File: Johann_Sebastian_Bach.jpg (130 KB, 480x591) Image search: [Google]
Johann_Sebastian_Bach.jpg
130 KB, 480x591
>"producing"
>not composing
>"needing" gigabytes of software
>not just pen & paper
>>
>>61147449

Bach would have came in his pants if he saw what we have now to play with.
>>
>>61147449
Get off your high horse.
t. Beethoven.
>>
>>61147144
There are programs to get files back, I used to use one called tuneup undelete when a kid, might have been a virus (or might be one by now) but im sure there are legit ones if you really care.
>>
>>61147756
Yeah someone said they downloaded one of my tracks using some program or another, so maybe if i really want to find them i'll try, but they were poorly mixed, and trying to re do it might prove interestig.
>>
>>61147449
I don't have gigabytes of software, nor do I feel like I need em : )
>>
>>61136965
actually the only preset I used is limiting and reverb presets, everything else is either a osc3x or game samples. It is pretty generic tho lmao gotta fix dat
>>
bimp
>>
Is there a Sylenth look-alike skin for Fuzzlips Oatmeal VSTi? I've recently transferred to a 64bit computer with W10 and my Sylenth license stopped working. I like how Sylenth's interface is simple and direct, Oatmeal confuses the shit out of me.
>>
File: frequency.jpg (578 KB, 1408x1987) Image search: [Google]
frequency.jpg
578 KB, 1408x1987
bass is a meme frequency
>>
>>61147449
>writing music constrained by the limitations of existing instruments and human performers
>>
Alright, prod
https://clyp.it/5iivbxmg

this'll probably the last clyp of this song i'll post

tomorrow imma and do whitenoise sweeps and stuff

tell me how it sucks
>is it as good as I think it is?
>is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing
>are you tired of me posting this thing too?
>>
HOLY SHIT GUYS

REMEMBER DR DRUM?
>>
File: IMG_3120.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3120.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>61150889
>https://clyp.it/5iivbxmg
pretty cool mang... not my vibe, but would head nod for sure. Sweeps should make it more dynamic.
>>
>>61150521
>implying every audible frequency isn't memetic
>>
please analyze this song for me guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsqLxdZx-cw
what kind of synths do you hear? what's that reverb on the drums? etc

also do you know any similar songs?
>>
the Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle link is down someone please reupload it now
>>
>>61152532
ok, gime 1 minute
>>
>>61152961
bruv come on
>>
https://clyp.it/pkwuhhwq

feedback would be appreciated! I just started this tonight and its the first thing ive done in a long time
>>
>>61113982
>>61140564
>>61141935
I can't download the FX one for some reason, can you please re-up it?
>>
>>61150521
need more pics like this family
>>
bump this shit dead af tbf senpaitachi
>>
>>61119018
how do you like the maschine ? thinking about getting one...maybe
>>
>>61153675
K A T
>>
>>61149077
d00d those are the most preset drums ive heard in a while you need to eq, compress, fuck that shit into submission
>>
>>61150889
Holy shit.
>>
>>61145099
Obviously?

I mean, we didn't have it back in the day but yeah kids are getting taught how to music prod cause it's pretty essential for them seeming as music is one of the strong points of their generation
>>
>>61150889
>>61154310
Though I would go with a different reverb - spring, for those swirly swirls.
And I don't like the major chord it's ending with, I'd go with just a fifth or something, that major doesn't really fit at the end.
>>
>>61154413
Sounds pretty bullshit t b h. They should learn science, to have at least a passing chance at a paying job.
>>
File: image.jpg (845 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
845 KB, 1936x1936
>>61154146
It's really good. I got mine in a sale for £499. The way it integrates as a controller is really good especially with the N.I effects and synths. As a sampler it works just like old hardware sampler but with all your samples on your computer hard drive.
The software is really good and I tend to use that almost all the time rather than my daw. The studio is really well designed with the two big screens so you can pretty much just work from the controller without turning on your computer monitors. Just about the only thing you can't do from the controller as far as I can work out is name projects and samples from it, you need to turn on your monitor and use your computer keyboard.
Any questions you have I can try and awnser for you?
>>
>>61155122
hmm cool thanks, sounds enticing. Is the software really as fleshed out as other DAWs? I'll probably do some more research before i buy it. Also how are the pads? in terms of feel and sensitivity?
>>
>>61147449
>>61150530
>not doing both

write music on paper then make a mock up in your DAW, send it to some performers so they can play it.

Or compose some music in your DAW, then export the MIDI file straight into sibelius and send it to some real players.

Computers make shit so easy. Importing and exporting MIDI files means your music isn't limited to one program.

Also just fyi there aren't actually any limitations on what existing instruments or human performers can do. Your imagination is the only limitation.
>>
hows sum jungle?
https://clyp.it/wifsjsad
>>
>>61154425
hey man, just implementing that music theory i learned the other day
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picardy_third
>>
>>61117836
Before you master, there are a few things to be fixed in the mixing stage. You are getting mud from your low end pulling on the mids. Use a spec analyzer to find which bass frequencies aren't needed so much on each instrument, A/B it the whole time, so you know if you have broken something, or if you are helping it.
Your drums need to be put into a different reverb space. They feel like they are too dissimilar within the track.

Other than that, this is a pretty sweet tune. I really dig it. Well done.
>>
>>61155692
A different inversion maybe?
>>
File: 710px-Clipping_waveform.svg.png (64 KB, 710x351) Image search: [Google]
710px-Clipping_waveform.svg.png
64 KB, 710x351
Bumping so high we're clipping.
>>
>>61156387
not high enough evidently
>>
>>61155293
The software isn't up to daw standards as N.I claim it's not a daw but a sampler or groovestation or some shit. In all honesty it's pretty much a basic daw. It has a basic mixer with aux channels for your effects.
You can use it as a plug-in inside your daw too.

The pads are really sensitive and rubbery. The sensitivity can be adjusted but they can be really sensitive. Sometimes I'm working and wonder where a sound is coming from and after a while I realise my hand is very gently touching a pad and triggering a sound.
>>
>>61155293
Also download the Maschine manual if your interested in how fleshed out it is. It's probably not as feature heavy as a full daw but the manual is pretty big and describes all the functions.
I kinda slept on all the native instruments stuff before I got Maschine, but all their instruments and effects sound amazing
>>
Guys question:

Will the dt 770 (250) pro work with any audio interface or does it need something specific (eg amplifier)

Thanks
>>
>>61158629
should be fine, i've got the 880s that are also 250 and they're fine with my regular old tascam interfaces
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.